Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

Taking the plunge (?)

Hello everyone,

This will be a redundant question for sure. First time on the forum as well.
Looks like the wife and I will be taking the full time plunge by May of next year and doing some home work. We are on the fence between a Class C and smaller Class A. Suspect we will have to have the "toad" as well.

Any base pointers appreciated in advance. We are out of NC right now, retiring from Fort Bragg military and civilian. We have already done allot of traveling but now it will be a more leisurely experience, I hope.

Leaning toward a Winnebago or a Coachman and not sure why. I guess posts on some webs we read. I need something in the 32 foot area and with the washer/dryer capability. We have been to just one sales rep for now so many more to come. Any how, anything, pointers, links etc., welcomed.
Ron
Walking Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Unless you really love being a bare minimalist, I think you will find a Class C very limiting for two people. We had a 29 ft Class C and loved it for weekends, 2 week vacations, etc., but could clearly see that it wasn't big enough for extended trips and certainly not for fulltiming. We settled on a 37' Class A DP and have never regretted that decision. A little bigger would have been nice, but really we would just have filled it with more stuff. Class As have more basement storage, plus a much better view of the road. And I love the exhaust brake on the DP - just walk down any mountain pass without any white knuckle worries.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are fulltiming, like Barbaraok stated, you are going to want a class A coach. The extra cost is well worth it. You will get more bang for your buck picking up a well maintained used one. Whether you buy used or new there will always be kinks to work out as well. So start with small trips and gradually increase the live in time until you get everything ironed out and your packing list sorted.

I was stationed at Bragg 02-06, don't miss it one bit !!
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Dead View Post
Any base pointers appreciated in advance.
Get a travel trailer and pick up.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We're not fulltime, YET, so I can't really give you any good advice!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Thank you for your service to our country!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies that have come in so far. We are digesting all information. I believe all of them are valid.

Bragg has not changed.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for your service, from a fellow Vet.

I would suggest two things:

1) Spend a lot of time reading through the forums here. You have already found the Full-Timers forum. There is also a military forum that may be helpful to find places to stay just for those who qualify. READ. READ. READ. It will take a while to digest it all, so do not get discouraged. Given your background, I doubt this will be an issue. When something does not make sense, ask. There are many, many folks on here who know a lot about this and are very willing to share. That's what makes this forum great.

2) Google RV dealers in your area. And, beyond. Take some time to visit different dealers from different manufacturers. Different salesmen will tell you different things. They all have their point of view. But, most importantly, get inside different rigs and look around. Get the feel of "living" in the rig. Look at the floorplan. If one looks good, ask the salesman to leave you alone in the rig by yourselves for a while. Think about how you would use the layout. Make believe you are living in it. Where does stuff go? How do you cook? How do you shower and get dressed? Is the bed location comfortable? Look at new rigs. Look at used rigs. Learn the difference between gas coaches and DP's (Diesel Pushers). One is not necessarily better than the other for everyone. Look inside class C's and class A's. What do you like? What don't you like?

rvtrader.com and pplmotorhomes.com are two online resources that I have used during our search. We are searching for the "perfect" coach for our upcoming retirement in a few years. iRV2 has been very helpful.

Best of luck!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #8

My wife and I downsized from a 2400 sq ft house to our 37 ft Class A DP this spring. We both still work and have had no issues living full time in our RV. The cost to repair a DP is more, but in my opinion, the ride characteristics (air ride, TTL wakes don't blow you off the road, etc.) make the DP the way to go for us. I do all my own maintenance, especially preventive maintenance.

Since we were new to the RV life, we took out the more expensive RV insurance (Progressive) and have a Good Sam Extended Service Plan (our RV is a 2003). Already had to use the Progressive insurance on a window claim.

I hope you enjoy your retirement and thank you for your service.

Rob
Old 10-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, Ron..... Welcome, and thanks.
Since you know from the start that you'll be living in it full time rather than just camping 6 or 8 times per year, that will (should) alter the standards for the machine you buy. Since are just starting the learning and research, I'll just leave you for now with a few guidelines that have settled into my mind.
1) If you have to turn sideways to squeeze by each other in the coach, it will get old real fast. If you have to disassemble your kitchen booth just so you can sleep, it will get old real fast.
2) If you're going to live in it, you need to be comfortable. Buy something noticeably bigger than you think you need. "Too big" will only last a few weeks. "Too small" will last forever. You will quickly get an idea of what you need.
3) Some RVs are built far better than others. Some are designed from the start to be well done, reliable, and used consistently; others are designed to go weekend camping 6 times each year. You will learn which builders enjoy a well earned reputation for long-term quality and reliability. You will need a machine that can and will stand up to the rigors of daily use.
Items 2 + 3 = more money, bringing us to:
4) Don't be afraid to buy used. Ref item 3-- you're buying good quality, and good quality lasts. It's not unusual or outlandish at all to buy a 10 to 15 year old high end coach, where the price points are quite comfortable. And you'll still wind up with a better machine than those that buy brand new low quality.
Good Luck! I know you'll enjoy the search, and as you develop some knowledge and detailed questions, then you'll see the opinions start to fly!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #10

Look up RV Dreams website and their seminar. Great info.
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of good avenues already provided. My experience is no matter who you ask or what you ask you are going to get different answers and opinions.
Know there is a difference in maintenance cost between a class c and a and a dp. Determine what you are comfortable with financially.
New is nice and shiny but can come at a cost. Used, well taken care of comes cheaper and may still have years of useful life.
Look for well built over lots of gadgets and fancy stuff.
Look at and understand cargo weight capacity, there are coaches that give you abou 500 lbs and that is not enough.
Once you narrow down a model, look for reviews, take them with a grain of salt. If you go used, look for recalls.
Most importantly know the choice will be up to you and DW, find that median and be practical, learn to enjoy what you have and enjoy the travel. No matter what you read or learn, there will be a new challenges at every turn.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just want to add our experience

JFXG;3303348 wrote excellent tips!

When shopping for your full-time rig really hang out in it. Take your time in it. Sellers sometimes become impatient because they are tired of showing it but you take your sweet time. Let them know that you are serious and that you have to know for sure that it is the rig you want. Besides the checklists all over the internet on buying a used rig I want to add:

flush the toilet a few times!

We HATE slides but we are small people and find that a rig without slides has plenty of by pass room for the two of us. Stand where the spaces are more narrow and see how the two of you navigate the space BEFORE you buy.

Dig into the cabinets, pick up the floors of the cabinets! Take a cordless drill with your in case a screw or two stop you from lifting the floor of the cabinet so you can check for rodent damage and nests. A nest not really a deal breaker but wire chewing can cost a ton in repairs. YES the rig we just bought I took the floors out of every single cabinet to look for rodent damage. Did the seller appreciate all the time we took.... no but the seller did tell us that they had never seen anyone go a rig as thoroughly as we did!

Lastly, we just sold a 2016 motorhome that I am not going to mention the brand. It was supposed to be a nice one but really just a bunch of cheap components that LOOKED really nice but just was cheap crap. We looked at some newer used rigs like 2001-2005 just not built as solid as the 1997-1999 and some 2000s are just built better. They used thick nice plywood not fiber boards, the walls are sturdy and solid and they hold heat better and they cool easier.

We had a class C and the rumble truck down the road not my cup of tea. You find someone who can give you a ride in their 1997-2000 35-40 ft diesel pusher or you test drive one so you can feel the difference in the ride. I promise you this you will LOVE the diesel pusher's ride and comfort. Especially one that is well built.
midi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
There are many schools of thought, one is floor plan, another is how are you going to use it? meaning are you going to camp in wally world, rest areas, etc. this will impact if you can use it with out putting out the slides. RV's look really different with all slides out, but crawling into the bed with everything closed may require crawling over everything. I wanted a good foundation (diesel & chassis) and the floor plan can be altered easier than the foundation.

My journey to find the right unit started with determining what older used units were quality. Then what diesel size for a min. to travel comfortably, then which chassis are good and why. I then read many back posts on many irv2 forums, some that I wasn't even sure if they would be of interest, but discovered a pearl of wisdom. I kept a open file of these pearls, good and bad, and through a process of elimination I narrowed my search to higher reliability components that are on my must have list.

Realizing that all brands will require repair, RV's are complex structures that must be resilient in many climates, shaking, baking, dry, wet,,, so things break, choices that minimize the potential was key in my decision process. I am still amazed at the number of newer units that have issues with parts of an RV that are very mature, such as water storage/ delivery. I'm sure they are due to a philosophy to remove cost or weight.

Another consideration was due to the epa reg's and how that impacted the diesels in the yrs 2005-08. the newer units appear to have that resolved but do require additional fluid & maintenance.

good luck on your journey, the knowledge you gain is priceless and empowering.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #14

Everyone has been awesome with their responses. We are digesting each bit as well as researching models and the new dilemma; which toad or dinghy to buy. Lot of questions and decisions but we will march on.

Thanks again.

Ron