Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Taxes aside Domicle state????

Is there any reason beside taxes to pick SD, TX or FL for domicile?

I work on the road as a travel nurse a couple contracts and trying to figure out if there is a point in changing my domicile. I have not paid state taxes in my home state in a few years as I do not earn money in CA. Is there any other reason to "move" when I get my next RV?
Karlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlak View Post

I work on the road as a travel nurse a couple contracts and trying to figure out if there is a point in changing my domicile. I have not paid state taxes in my home state in a few years as I do not earn money in CA. Is there any other reason to "move" when I get my next RV?
Voting, jury duty, ease to deal with estate if one of you dies, good mail forwarding service, reasonable charges for license tags, ability to do registration/dl renewal online. No personal property taxes on RVs.

What state are you currently in?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #3

No matter where you domicle you will pay income taxes to the State the income was earned in. I am domicled in So Dakota but have rental property in Calif and file a non resident tax return in Calif.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

What state are you currently in?
I live in California but I have not earned income in the state in 6 or 7 years. I am on a contract in Nevada at the moment.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
No matter where you domicle you will pay income taxes to the State the income was earned in. I am domicled in So Dakota but have rental property in Calif and file a non resident tax return in Calif.
I have had years in the past where I had to file taxes in 4 or 5 states, that was FUN
Old 06-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lots of folks just join Escapees since they have all the parts of domicile, mail forwarding, and other features all under one roof. I think you'd have to go to Texas one time to get your driver's license and other things changed.

You had asked about health care plans for travellers in another thread, and I'm pretty sure that Texas doesn't have a plan that works well for travelers.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
You had asked about health care plans for travellers in another thread, and I'm pretty sure that Texas doesn't have a plan that works well for travelers.
I did check and the insurance in Texas would be an issue and the cost are sooo much higher and more restrictive there than I have in Ca. As a traveler I have had to use my CA insurance in other states with no issues. In non emergency situation that cant wait for me to go back to CA, I just call the 800 number they email me a list of providers that I can use and I have never had an issue.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
So officially your residence is still CA. Are you filing CA state returns with no declared income, or are you just not filing the returns at all?

Actually, it doesn't matter. You're committing tax fraud in CA either way.

https://blog.rapidtax.com/california...earned-states/
Old 06-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
So officially your residence is still CA. Are you filing CA state returns with no declared income, or are you just not filing the returns at all?

Actually, it doesn't matter. You're committing tax fraud in CA either way.

https://blog.rapidtax.com/california...earned-states/
No fraud involved, I file my taxes in CA annually. I report ALL income and have zero tax liability to the state. The rules on the blog is for people working remotely from another state. I am a travel nurse and I am physically working out of california and earning income. If I had online income that would be different.

I do pay property taxes, car registration and professional licences so they do get some money from me.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
No fraud involved, I file my taxes in CA annually. I report ALL income and have zero tax liability to the state. The rules on the blog is for people working remotely from another state. I am a travel nurse and I am physically working out of california and earning income. If I had online income that would be different.

I do pay property taxes, car registration and professional licences so they do get some money from me.
I missed the post where you were filing non-resident returns in other states. I gather you don't ever go to CA, since my experience with them is that if you spent any time in the state they wanted their share... Sorry.

As to your original question, the major items to consider when picking a domicile state are income taxes, health insurance, vehicle insurance, personal property taxes, sales tax, vehicle registration fees, and probably a few others I can't remember.

In your case, health insurance is probably the most important. FL is the only state (that I know of) that has PPO type ACA compliant plans available that cover the entire country. Most others have very limited provider networks outside their home region.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:

I'm a SD resident now. I picked SD because the insurance rates are very low here, some of the lowest in the country. SD also has a low sales tax for vehicle registrations which means I save about $1500 on registering my truck here instead of Louisiana where they would hit me for a little over 10% for TT&L. (Yes you read that correctly, over 10%.) There also isn't a yearly inspection so people aren't forced to physically be in the state often. I think the only time I actually have to be here is once every 10 years to renew driver's license. Even then, I just have to prove an overnight stay which is extremely easy to do.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Karlak,
Recommend you re-read the CA tax filing requirements. As a resident of CA, since I assume that is where you have a driver's license and vehicle registration you are required to file and pay taxes on ANY money your earn regardless of where you earn it. If you work in Illinois you are required to file state income tax forms as a non-resident.

If you haven't filed in several years you could be liable for major penalties.

CA like IL scans W-2 and 1099 forms filed with the IRS against Driver's License record with no State Tax filings.

Wish you the best - Richard
Old 06-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #13

Move your residence to TN. No state income tax, no personal property tax, no state vehicle inspection renew license on line and auto license around $75 yr. either Mh or vehicle. Flat 7% sales tax on any vehicle paid on trade difference.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Karlak,
Recommend you re-read the CA tax filing requirements. As a resident of CA, since I assume that is where you have a driver's license and vehicle registration you are required to file and pay taxes on ANY money your earn regardless of where you earn it. If you work in Illinois you are required to file state income tax forms as a non-resident.

If you haven't filed in several years you could be liable for major penalties.

CA like IL scans W-2 and 1099 forms filed with the IRS against Driver's License record with no State Tax filings.

Wish you the best - Richard
I file my taxes.

I file every year in CA and have zero liability for the past several years. I do not earn money in the state of CA in any way. I have been thru two audits in the state of CA and nothing came of it once I proved I was working PHYSICALLY in other states.

The people that get in trouble are the ones that work remote for a company Nevada or Texas but live in every way in CA, I do not. I am a critical care travel nurse who has not worked in the state of CA in years, the only thing I have in CA is my cars, dl and family.

If someone who works like i do does not file in CA that would put up a red flag but I do file.