Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Telling your family

Hello all! My hubby and I are still about 2 years away from going fulltime. Now that we have made the decision we want to tell our family. We have 4 grown children living their own lives. Worried about their reaction when we reveal this major life change. Any advice, tips stories? (We will be selling our house - their childhood home)
4kiddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!
My parents never had that problem! I was an only child, and they rented a TT when I was 10 and bought their first one the next year so it was always assumed they would go full time. They offered the old house to me at a good price and I really should have bought it, but it was over 7,000 sf and I didn't want the maintenance.
They did finally go full time but it only lasted a couple years and the came back and bought a mobil home, and, a few years later, sold the Foretravel MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It never occurred to us that our kids would have a problem with us going full time. Our son wasn't thrilled to lose his kids sitter but he managed okay.
I suspect that if your kids get a chance to move somewhere else for a better job, more money, etc they would do so.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

Why are you so worried about what the kids will say? Your adults and are fully capable of making decisions based onmwhat makes YOU happy. Things like Facetime work wonders to keep up with family. GO enjoy. If the kids habe a problem, they will get over it.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
They are your children, you raised them, you should know what their reactions will be. Honestly, if you are just getting around to mentioning what you are thinking about doing, you are years behind.

Why have we become a nation where adult children need to be pampered?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #6

Family......
Tell them now.
Tell them after you buy RV
Tell them when it's time form them to come get whatever they want
Tell them when house goes up for sale
Tell them when you send info about new address

Every family is different.
YOU know yours----tell them/don't tell them

We let ours know of our plans when we starting shopping for truck/5th wheel
Confirmed we were doing it when we told them to come get 'stuff' cause in 2 weeks it was going up for auction at Estate Sale

"And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon."

Family!?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #7

Don't tell them. Let them come to visit and find a new family living in your former home. When they call, tell them where you are in your new RV.
Surprises are fun!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #8

Are you saying that if you're kids object, you will give up this dream? If their reaction is anything other than positive, you may have done something wrong. That said, it wouldn't have stopped us.

You have spent your whole lives living and sacrificing for them. This is your time. Tell them you love them and you'll see them when you get back their way. Then go live your dream while you still can.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

Thank you all. I honestly dont think they will be surprised by the news. We have always been adventerous and encouraged them to be as well. I think it will be the distance. Not pampered children at all. We are close and see each other regularly. No real extended family. We will still do this even if they object. I think the anxiety is mine. I am so excited to do this just dont want any negativity. ☺
4kiddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just do it. Might be a way to find out if they think you are in charge of your own lives and property or not.

You may be on to something here: all of the anxiety over this decision may very well be your own. And that makes it your own to face. I do know this much, I should have adopted this lifestyle a long time ago.

Ignore the negativity. It's not yours to take on. It's your life, no one really has the right to have a negative outlook on it, and anyone that thinks they do have that right, well, I would hope you would know what to tell them about that by now.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just send them a change of address card to your new mail forwarding service. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If they say anything other than 'Mom and Dad, that's GREAT - we hope you have a fantastic time traveling' - tell them to suck it up, it's your life and you're going to live it the way you choose. (and if you've never told them to just suck it up before, now is an excellent time to start )
They have their own homes now, what you do with their childhood home is simply irrelevant at this point. They've got the memories, but it's YOUR house.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #13

I'm not sentimental when it comes to houses, photos, family furniture, etc., so don't understand when someone gets all worked up about losing their childhood home. It's just a house for goodness sake. Life moves on. If they don't want to lose it, sell it to them. :-)
Old 08-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I bet you will be surprised at how happy they are for you! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote