Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #71

Rick

Yes Rick I think that's the deal. My biggest MH, a Class A, was only 35 feet, and was way under the 26k referenced. Even with a small toad, it was less than that.
I see a lot of big, REALLY BIG, rigs, diesel pushers and true coaches, that look to be way over 45 feet towing a full size half ton truck or Tahoe (which is no where near the 10k towing limit) but the rig it's self may be over 26k including the toad?
I say, go have fun, RV-ing is one hellofa great way to live or enjoy life. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years, everything from a 'tent camper' (old school), popups, travel trailers, class B, class C and class A. been stopped at least 25 times for everything from toad lights not working to, just suspicious about me driving at night (which is my preference), I boon-dock a lot at Walmart and have never come under any question regarding my license.
I have been from CA to LA and as far north as Utah-Wyoming-Colorado. Not as big a traveler as a lot of the posters here, yet never had a problem. Could just have been lucky but I think the weight and length and toad are the issues. They affect a lot on a windy road.
My Best to y'all
Doc
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHaley View Post
. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years, everything from a 'tent camper' (old school), popups, travel trailers, class B, class C and class A. been stopped at least 25 times for everything from toad lights not working to, just suspicious about me driving at night (which is my preference), I boon-dock a lot at Walmart and have never come under any question regarding my license.
I have been from CA to LA and as far north as Utah-Wyoming-Colorado. Not as big a traveler as a lot of the posters here, yet never had a problem. Could just have been lucky but I think the weight and length and toad are the issues. They affect a lot on a windy road.
My Best to y'all
Doc
I'm not sure luck was involved since you indicated that your rig was well under the weight limit anyway so it seems to me you were always in compliance.

Having said that, I've read a lot of posts on this topic over the past few years and have driven my DP (32000#) through 44 states and I've never seen anyone state that not having the "proper" license caused them any issue... nor has it ever been one for me.

I knew that going in but wanted to get my Class B to cover my behind in the event of an accident. I didn't want some lawyer making a case that I wasn't qualified to drive my coach and that led to the event.

Safe Travels.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #73

@RickO - You sure are polite.
quiviran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

It's my job.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #75

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just bought a 2001 Marlin DP 39' and was about ready to get a class B before I bought it. Well its GVWR is exactly 26000 lbs. By 1 lb. I missed out on having to go to Livingston and back up 100' and take the test. That's ok with me.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #76

I believe previous links for the TX books have changed over the years. This is what I find now:

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

I also think the handbooks have been reorganized. DL-7.PDF seems to be the basics, so I think I need to study the 7c (commercial) book? Any particular chapters to concentrate on? Previous posts mentioned Chapter 15 which doesn't exist.

At a UVW of over 42000, I want to cover the bases. I'd like to get my written done in the next few days. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #77

When I took it in February it was chapter 14, but read it all b/c I had a couple of questions from other sections.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I'm interested in doing this too, but the Texas DMV website that has those manuals seems to be locked up--nothing gets downloaded?

Does anyone still have that PDF file? Maybe you could PM me and arrange to send the PDF to me??
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #79

My 5th wheel combined weight with F350 is roughly #24,000 so I assume I would get by with a Class C license if I was a resident of TX?
browne07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by browne07 View Post
My 5th wheel combined weight with F350 is roughly #24,000 so I assume I would get by with a Class C license if I was a resident of TX?
What is the GCWR on your truck? In the absence of a GCWR from the manufacturer, Texas adds the trailer GVWR to the trucks GVWR to establish their GCWR for license purpose.

Our truck is rated GCWR for 30,000# and our trailer is 16,500# GVWR. Loaded out total weight is right at 25,000#. So by actual weights we are under the 26001# limit. But the truck is rated for 30000# GCWR so my wife and I have class A non-CDLs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #81

My GCWR is 23,500" with the trailer GVWR at 15,000# so I am over about 500 combined. The trailer is at the GVW.
browne07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #82

In Texas if your trailer in in excess of 10000 GVWR you need the appropriate class of license and I am going from memory but believe that to be a Class A. If tow vehicle is in excess of 26,000 then you need both Class B and Class C endorsements as I understand it.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Class C is GCWR of 26000# or less and trailer less than 10,000#
Class B (non-CDL) is GCWR of 26001# or more and trailer less than 10000#.
Class A (non-CDL) is GCWR of 26001# or more and trailer over 10000#.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #84

Damon Owners Club
Hi, I'm reading with much interest about the Class B non-CDL. I must admit I am one who thought it was unnecessary but I am going to go ahead with testing and permitting. I downloaded the PDF from the TXDOT site and am confused about which sections apply? Looking at the manual http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ents/DL-7C.pdf on page 12 I'm assuming it's the third section showing the buses? I tried calling several offices may can not get anyone to pickup the phone. Thought those of you taking the test might help. Thanks
psandoz is offline   Reply With Quote