Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Had my retired Legislative expert (30 years Legislative Council) check. There is a companion bill in the House HB 3995, different but similar. It is already out of committee and sent to Calendars committee. Maybe one of them will pass. Fingers Crossed.
Not sure how TX works but since they have competing bills, they might just go to conference committee, combine them and then vote on the reconciled bill in each house and be done with it.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think it is all about the bottom ($$$) line. Just assume that every vehicle in Texas is a diesel and pays $7.50. There are approximately 22 million registered vehicles in Texas, That would be $165 million lost. However many non-diesel vehciles are $50 or more so that price could easily reach 1/2 billion dollars.

Taxes would have to go up somewhere to compensate, I think.

Just checked and the revenue from vehicle registrations in Texas is more than $4.5 Billion. The majority is deposited in the State Highway Fund to maintain roads and bridges.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #17

Here's the short description of the bill:

Quote:
Relating to the elimination of regular mandatory vehicle safety inspections and the imposition of replacement fees
I never really knew what that last part meant. Now I see that the imposition of replacement fees is how they are going to generate the lost revenue. The political double talk in the bill is unreadable so I don't know how they will make up the short fall but it seems that is the plan.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #18
RV LIFE Support Team

I don't see whee they lose any revenue. The garage that does the inspection does but I doubt if the amount the state allows them to collect for an inspection covers their actual cost. I don't think there is any mention of removing registration just inspection. I heard someplace that only 15 states require inspections. All inspections do is say the vehicle is OK at that moment in time.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll wager that the lost revenue from inspection will be added to the registration portion.

I have not registered a car type vehicle but for my diesel pusher the fees used to be $14 dollars or so. That was given to the inspection station. Now the inspection fee at the station is $7.50 and then at registration time an additional 7.50 was applied to the registration.

For my TOAD, i registered it for 3 years the last time I registered it. It is due this year for renewal. I received a letter to make sure that I got it inspected every year, which I have done. There were no additional fees with the 3 year registration. I don't kknow if they still have that option

The "imposition of replacement fees" will occur somewhere.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne, remember that the majority of people in the state who live in big cities will still be doing the emission inspections - those are the expensive ones and since there are a lot of them done, it is a simple matter to increase the inspection fee slightly to make up for the lost revenue from low population counties.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
remember that the majority of people in the state who live in big cities will still be doing the emission inspections
Yes - they are talking about doing away with the "safety" inspections, which means lights, wipers, horn, etc., but the emissions testing will not be eliminated.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Wayne, remember that the majority of people in the state who live in big cities will still be doing the emission inspections - those are the expensive ones and since there are a lot of them done, it is a simple matter to increase the inspection fee slightly to make up for the lost revenue from low population counties.
Again, I don't speak legislativese but there is language in the bill about emissions. In retrospect, I bet it's about increasing fees for emissions.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is "everything" you ever wanted to know about registering n Texas

TDPS Information
Old 05-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #24

Looks like SB 1588 was passed out of the Transportation Committee in the House. No amendments. Now it goes to the house floor and if passed, to the Governor's desk.

I am curious as to how they will handle inspections from when it is passed until when it goes into affect in March 2018. Totally unrelated but when the marijuana referendum passed here in Nevada last Nov, essentially every DA and Sheriff said they would immediately stop all low level possession and sales enforcement even though the law would go into effect until the first of the year. I wonder if Texas will to the same, just stop enforcing the stickers?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Since there is no longer an inspection sticker, it would only be the online registration that will cause people to get the inspection done. Can't get the registration sticker without the inspection being entered in the computer, so it will likely stay the same until about February when I would assume the link from the registration database to the inspection database will be deleted.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Barbara & David,
If you register "on-line" you just need to check the box that the vehicle is out of state and they will register it and give you notice that you need to register as soon as you get back in state.

I guess if you register in-person it means you are in state.

In any case I would be very happy if inspections were not required to register as I am out of state most of the time and it is just an inconvenience of getting notices. Easy to delete or tear up though.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
If I am reading the bill correctly, vehicles that are registered in counties where emissions testing is required, will still have to them tested. This will exclude most MH's but not most toads.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #28
RV LIFE Support Team

If theMH is registered in a non-emission testing county why wouldn't the toad be registered in the same county.

Or, make sure you register everything in a non-emission county.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas