Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #29

I had about 1 acre. At first I used a self propelled walk beyond. Later I got a used 2cyl John Deere rider with a 54" deck. With the self propelled it took me 3 days in the SW Arkansas heat. With the rider, a few hours. I had a big highway right of way ditch to mow too. Although when the house was facing foreclosure (it went short sale instead) I had sold the rider and quit mowing. Then the highway did their job and mowed the right of way ditch since I wasn't doing it anymore.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my last house I put in the 600' of conduit for under ground power from the road, 24" down per local power company. I've hand install 30' deep wellpoints for a 6 zone irrigation system. With a buddy's help I've built a 30x50 barn. I've added a room on a house. I've wired and installed several pumps. I installed metal roofing on my second house. I've changed the oil and filters in my vehicles for years. Did a few brake jobs back in the day, too. The point of all this? Simple. Minor issues on my rig I will deal with but if it looks like it could turn into that nasty four letter word (work), that's what rv shops are for. I'm not rich, but I AM retired and prefer to remain so. YMMV.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #31

Go camping. Relax by the campfire, and ponder what you have back home:

Warm fireplace.
Central air
Your favorite chair
Shutters to paint
Roof to mend
Stuff in the basement that you use, but only to work on the house.
Stuff in the basement that you never use
Real estate tax bill
Lawn to mow
Mower to maintain
On and on....

Some things you will miss. Others....

You dont sound like you are truly ready....yet. IMHO
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Go camping. Relax by the campfire, and ponder what you have back home: Warm fireplace. Central air Your favorite chair Shutters to paint Roof to mend Stuff in the basement that you use, but only to work on the house. Stuff in the basement that you never use Real estate tax bill Lawn to mow Mower to maintain On and on.... Some things you will miss. Others.... You dont sound like you are truly ready....yet. IMHO
Oh I am ready, just got to sell the house.....
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #33

Please do not change your engine oil at a Walmart parking lot. Parking at Wally World is a privilege enjoyed by many RVers.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
My wife and i have been fulltime for 14 months now and Love it. Did not take much time to get use to. If problems arise you deal with them as you would anyway.

Lloyd
lnickell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a heart issue in June and spent a few days in the hospital. I met a guy who was flown in from Branson with a heart problem. His wife stayed in Branson for the first week in their 40' RV but our Hospital has I think 4-6 camp sights on the side of the hospital with full hook-ups for family members. She moved the RV over and He and his wife stayed for a week until he was released and then they went on their merry way. I don't know if other hospitals around the country have camping sights available but that might be something to ask about if full timers do have problems.

JFYI

TeJay
Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIJ6165 View Post
With u on this one. We lived in TX and mowed about 5 acres. Took good part of a weekend to get mowing done and trimming. The TX heat was exhausting.
yes but 80 degrees in December is pretty nice.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
The bad part? Small shower as I am a big person. No daily newspaper delivery in most parks. That's it ! The rest is fantastic!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I miss only one thing......a garage. There's is not one thing I don't like about FTing other than that and I will never...never...never buy, rent or live in a house again.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
I miss only one thing......a garage. There's is not one thing I don't like about FTing other than that and I will never...never...never buy, rent or live in a house again.
I agree about the garage. I had a 2 car garage and a tall carport with a paved surface for my motorhome at the house I had, so I could do repairs myself.

I'll probably end up in a house again. It might be a mobile home but same difference to me. If I buy again, it'll have to be something a LOT cheaper this time, in a place I like better, have very little yard work to do. and either come with a garage or have enough room to put one of those "portable" ones you can buy and have delivered. A carport might do good enough though if I pave under it and partly enclose it.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #40

We think our motor home is like the half way house between conventional living and the old folks home!
Quote bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
I can see a 1/4 acre somewhere with FHU and a barn down the road a little bit.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote