RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #1

The ongoing 5th wheel or Class A question

The question of a 5th Wheel or Class A has gone on forever and I'm sure will continue forever so for fun because we have full-timed in 2 different Class A's for over 6 years and now have switched and lived in a 5th wheel for 6 months we thought we would do a little comparison in our blog in case you care to have a look. Here is a link. If it does not work you could always click on the link in the signature. https://wp.me/p2Dund-4iu

HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #2

I answered you on 'the other forum' but again, you did a terrific job of comparisons - good or not-so-good - and you'll have fun and enjoyment in your new home. You'll adjust to the small things!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

It's definitely going to be a 5th wheel for me. Floor plans are the main reason, and I don't want to be stuck with engine problems somewhere. Having worked in the repo business for 5th wheels, class a-c and travel trailers, it was always VERY difficult to find someone that can tow a motorhome. Not to mention it would get expensive when I did find someone. Especially in more rural areas.

So I am sticking with a 5th wheel for the floor plan, and so I don't have to worry about engine problems on what will be my home.
Pyropete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyropete View Post
It's definitely going to be a 5th wheel for me. Floor plans are the main reason, and I don't want to be stuck with engine problems somewhere. Having worked in the repo business for 5th wheels, class a-c and travel trailers, it was always VERY difficult to find someone that can tow a motorhome. Not to mention it would get expensive when I did find someone. Especially in more rural areas.

So I am sticking with a 5th wheel for the floor plan, and so I don't have to worry about engine problems on what will be my home.
Roadside Assistance

It isn't difficult having work done.

Just say you prefer layout of 5er.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Roadside Assistance

It isn't difficult having work done.

Just say you prefer layout of 5er.
There are a LOT less options for towing though. There were some times where I had to book a tow days in advanced because he was the only heavy tow option in the area (with some instances of them having to drive 200-300 miles). With the 5th wheelers/ travel trailers most REPO companies have a vehicle that can tow travel trailers and 5th wheels relatively easy. So based on my experience it is all about where you break down. Also, these roadside assistance programs use the same people I use to REPO. So I should have said it depends on the area.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

As a DIYS kind of person, a fifth wheel is more to my liking and there is nothing I can't repair or remodel on them.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
As a DIYS kind of person, a fifth wheel is more to my liking and there is nothing I can't repair or remodel on them.
Same.. I am really handy, except when it comes to engines. Never liked working on engines so I always opt to send to a shop if I was having problems. Usually I don't have any problems because I get a new car it seems every few years. That will change though when I full time. I will get a Dodge Ram 3500 dually. Never had a dually before so I am sure I will feel like I am in a tank or something lol.

But yah, If there is a minor issue with the 5th wheel I can still tow it around and fix it on my own schedule. Rather than having to take it to a shop and having to wait for the issue to be fixed.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #8

I was just at an RV Show that had some very nice top of the line 5th wheels and a lot of tag axle fancy motor homes.

I could make either one work.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
The question of a 5th Wheel or Class A has gone on forever and I'm sure will continue forever so for fun because we have full-timed in 2 different Class A's for over 6 years and now have switched and lived in a 5th wheel for 6 months we thought we would do a little comparison in our blog in case you care to have a look. Here is a link. If it does not work you could always click on the link in the signature. https://wp.me/p2Dund-4iu
Great write up and comparison. Lots of time involved and good details. You're just like me. As I was reading this, my heart kept jerking at me and saying, "man I want to read on how they chose this make and model of 5ver", how long is it, where did you buy it, what was involved, details like did you get slide toppers or not etc etc. So I went to your main menu and I didn't see anything on this new buying process. Did I miss it somewhere?

I know doing this kinda of stuff takes a tremendous amount of work. R U planning on doing a blog entry of this whole 5ver buying process and how you came to this conclusion?
Old 10-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joree View Post
Great write up and comparison. Lots of time involved and good details. You're just like me. As I was reading this, my heart kept jerking at me and saying, "man I want to read on how they chose this make and model of 5ver", how long is it, where did you buy it, what was involved, details like did you get slide toppers or not etc etc. So I went to your main menu and I didn't see anything on this new buying process. Did I miss it somewhere?

I know doing this kinda of stuff takes a tremendous amount of work. R U planning on doing a blog entry of this whole 5ver buying process and how you came to this conclusion?
Here is one of our updates you my have interest in. https://wp.me/p2Dund-3IT
Old 10-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joree View Post

And actually this is probably a better update that explains things. Here is a link. https://wp.me/p2Dund-3KX
Old 10-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Here is one of our updates you my have interest in. https://wp.me/p2Dund-3IT
Sweet Read. I do hope for a more detailed post someday of the New Horizons 5ver itself and what were the deciding factors between the two manufacturers other than customization. We are looking to do the same as you guys some day down the road once we stop traveling and we're always reading, talking and looking for what to do in the future.

Happy Trails guys and thanks again for taking the time to write and share.

Tags
5th wheel, class a