RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

The order of things

My wife and I are planning on going full time next summer. But we're not sure of the order of things. Our plan is to:

1 - Figure out what new RV we want to purchase
2 - Do all the house stuff and sell it
3 - From the proceeds, buy the RV which we expect will need to be customized
4 - so we will need temporary housing as we await the RV to be completed
5 - ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY - SHOULD/CAN WE DO THIS BEFORE WE TAKE POSSESSION OF THE RV? - We're likely going to use South Dakota. Should we move there after selling the house as we wait for the RV? Do we need to be there BEFORE we purchase the RV so when we put the down payment down we are already established in SD? Does that matter?

Thanks

ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #2

My plan is to buy the RV about 6 months before selling the house by financing it then when the house sells to pay it off,should be easier to finance with owning a house and having a job. Plus if needed I can live in it . That will allow me to empty the house and get it ready to sell. If the house does not sell right away I'm hitting the road.

ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
My plan is to buy the RV about 6 months before selling the house by financing it then when the house sells to pay it off,should be easier to finance with owning a house and having a job. Plus if needed I can live in it . That will allow me to empty the house and get it ready to sell. If the house does not sell right away I'm hitting the road.
Agree!!! We basically did the same thing, except bought our 5th wheel almost 2 years before we began full-timing!

Now regarding the original poster:

Not sure what would need to be customized in an RV unless you are buying a high-end unit. Most RVs now are pretty well set up right from the factory. We recently bought our 2nd 5th wheel at an RV show, no customization need unless you include the auto sat dish.

SD residency - the only reason you would need to go there is to get your drivers license. You will only need to stay in SD for one night. Once you sell your house and start living in the RV, you can establish your SD residency. Using one of the mail services there helps a lot too! The only advantage to buying the rig after becoming an SD resident that I can think of would be sales tax. I think the current rate is 4%. This is pretty low compared to most states.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
Agree!!! We basically did the same thing, except bought our 5th wheel almost 2 years before we began full-timing!
Did the same thing about 2 years before retirement. Not retired yet but full speed ahead. I am at my 52 week mark right now This gives me a long take off ramp to sell everything and get all the (ok, most) of the kinks and customizations done to my liking on the motor home.
with all the talk of so many people full timing I am hoping there will be some BLM land for me.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
The only advantage to buying the rig after becoming an SD resident that I can think of would be sales tax.
Sales tax is paid in whatever state you make the purchase, isn't it? Residents and non-residents pay the same sales tax rate. Registration fees would be a consideration. If you buy and register it in one state and make another state your residency, you'll have to register it again in that state and pay the fees again.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Start by creating a list of wants and needs for whatever RV purchase.

Things like residential fridge, washer/dryer, all electric or propane, king bed, bath or bath and 1/2, amount of storage, length based on use of National Parks, and the list can go on.

Head out to a dealers, ditch the salesman and sit in as many RV as you can. Pretend you are living in it full time. Do you have room to move around, cook, relax comfortably, layout a hobby? Review and revise your list as appropriate.

Once you find what you are looking for you can start looking at brands that have the features and floorplan you want.

Decide on a purchase plan after you decide on the unit you will purchase and how you will be able to finance it. If you can pay cash why wait. Have it at your house so you can move directly into it.

After the unit is full you can sell or give away the extra possessions and sell the house.

Having the unit early will enable you to live in the house should you decide to send the unit out for any customization you want.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #7

Suggestion: decide where you are going to establish residency and start your mail service before the house is sold. Start changing your address for all of your bills, address on checks (don't need to change banks), credit cards, etc. Do not change your address with the Post office yet.
Mail will start going to the new address and once every couple of weeks you have it sent back to your house. Once you vacate the house then change your address with the post office so any thing you might have missed will go to the mail service.
Now you can have it sent to your temp residency or to where ever you happen to be.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #8

I'd suggest getting the RV first. If you don't have the money because of the house not being sold yet, finance it for now and pay it off when the house is sold if that's your plan. It's easier to get financing while you still have the house.

It sounds like you're buying new and you're planning on a long wait?

Go through the house and make a pile in each room of things you think you want to take. For the rest, advertise big items individually, give to family or friends, have a garage sale and donate or toss the rest. Re-visit those piles put aside often and re-think if you really need to take it with you. A house sells better if it's not cluttered. However, you might want to save some big items to give the rooms a 'purpose' while it's for sale.

Then put the house for sale.

You can use the RV if your house happens to sell earlier than you planned.

Agreed, set up your mail forwarding services ASAP. It takes a while for all your mail to shift to a new address. You have a lot of notifying to do. Also, get off junk mail. If you receive catalogs, call and ask that they take your name off.

Set up everything you can with AutoPay. It makes it so much easier.

Good luck!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Sales tax is paid in whatever state you make the purchase, isn't it? Residents and non-residents pay the same sales tax rate. Registration fees would be a consideration. If you buy and register it in one state and make another state your residency, you'll have to register it again in that state and pay the fees again.
Not necessarily. Generally, sales tax is paid when and where the vehicle is registered. Many states have a reciprocity agreement that applies sales tax paid in another state to the registering state. If it is higher in the registering state, one has to pay the difference. Here in WA one can buy a vehicle in Oregon (no sales tax in OR) and pay the sales tax for where they live in WA. If you buy a vehicle a ways away from the registering state you will need a temporary license to transport it to its final (registered) destination. I once bought a car in IL got a temp tag and drove it to WA to register it. The car had to inspected by the State Patrol and then I was allowed to register it in WA after paying WA sale stax.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
NO, The sales taxes are paid to the state you register and title it in. Normally that would be the state you are a resident of. I know this through first hand experience, buying 3 new trucks and a new 5th wheel while we have been fulltiming. We just recently bought a new 5th wheel in AZ and paid SD taxes and fees, and bought a new truck in NY and again paid SD taxes and fees.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
NO, The sales taxes are paid to the state you register and title it in. Normally that would be the state you are a resident of. I know this through first hand experience, buying 3 new trucks and a new 5th wheel while we have been fulltiming. We just recently bought a new 5th wheel in AZ and paid SD taxes and fees, and bought a new truck in NY and again paid SD taxes and fees.

DITTO. We bought our motorhome in FL and paid sales tax in GA.
sbahrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
You generally pay a nominal fee in the state you purchased in to do the paperwork and then a small fee for a temp license. We paid 25 for the paperwork and 40 for a month long temporary license.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #13

We just went thru this preparing to go full time. Sold the house 6/15, traveled to SD 6/16 and got our drivers license and tags for the car and cargo trailer 6/17. A week later we made a 16 hour trip to IL, bought our used Class A and drove it home over 2 days and 19 hours. Registered it in SD from here in CO and saved a bunch on taxes and registration fees. We use Americas Mailbox for mail forwarding and as local help in walking our paperwork thru the system. They are great people to work with.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #14

That sounds exactly how we would want to do it

Thanks fossilxprs - when did you ID the motorhome you were going to purchase? Did you put a down payment on it prior to selling your house? Or did you start shopping after your house sale?

ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote