RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #1

Thinking about going full-time, how long per location?

My wife and I are thinking about selling everything and going full-time. One thing we were thinking about is, on average, how long to stay at each location. So my question is how long do you normally stay at one location before going to your next location, and why?

thanks

DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Different places might have different rules, or just move when you want to.

National forests, national parks, state lands, etc., will have maximum stay limits and other regulations about where you can stay and how far you might have to move. Some RV parks won't let you stay for longer than a certain amount of time. You might want to go explore somewhere new before you hit any limits imposed by someone else.

Relax about the time and enjoy the adventure!

Old 11-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

We just made the move to full time last week. You’ll get better answers from people that have been doing this for many years, but her is we have got planned.
The rest of 2019 and 2020 will be about a month at a time in where we travel. We have friends and family all over so thought next year we’d journey to see people and sights.
There is a lot of great places in the country that have great weather only 90 days a year and we plan to be those places in that time of year. Love Montana and Idaho in the summer, California, Arizona in the winter.
If the resort is nice (and we know that for sure) two months looks to be our max. Big country and lots to see so some areas might be a week or 10 days then move on.
Next year we’ll be east of the Mississippi most of the time after that will be west of the Mississippi based on family and other commitments.
Enjoy the journey.
wjohnson913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post
My wife and I are thinking about selling everything and going full-time. One thing we were thinking about is, on average, how long to stay at each location. So my question is how long do you normally stay at one location before going to your next location, and why?

thanks

We are also thinking about Ft'ing. I think that if you do FT that you will look back and laugh a little at your question.
Move when you want to or can afford it or the neighbors are too loud or.....

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

Depends on you. Lifestyle, what you like to do can all contribute to length of stay. As a camp host we used to stay for 30-60 days in one spot. If your avid outdoors people and are in an area with lots of activities I can see sitting for 2 weeks or more in one place. On the other hand if your not outdoors folks no matter where you are you can and will get bored after a day or two. Remember also moving costs money, Sitting is cheaper.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
'Till we have seen and done everything at that place and spent some time just enjoying the scenery. Unless we get bored. You will know when that time comes.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
in the last 7 moths we have done 20 states once we get back to az we only plan on moving once every 3-6 months
Old 11-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
When we first started full timing it was 1-2 weeks (we extensively use membership parks throughout the country as well as COE parks) so that we could explore an area, make notes on things to see the next time we came through, etc., and then move on to the next area. When doing a point to point run we would do a 2-2-2 sequence, 200 miles a day, stop by 2:00 pm and stay 2 days (usually using Passport America).

After a few years, we started doing longer stays in the winter, first 3 months, then gradually up to 6 months that we now do.

Everyone is a little different, so just get started and you'll find your own rhythm.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post

thanks
Boondocking you can pretty much stay in a general area for months at a time on BLM land where you don't have to pay. Buddy of mine went to AZ last year twice and the same people he was playing cards with during the winter were in the same spot about 4 months later. Not sure if you're doing boondocking but there is a bunch of sites that show you different campgrounds (if you wanted hookups) and you can call for general info. I don't ever want to spend $500-$700 a month just for the hookups.

I would do maybe 2 days at a park and 28 days boondocking. At the park have your tanks "services" done as well as laundry and stock up on food. You can always get those laundry buckets you can connect to your bicycle and get exercise at the same time if you're more into that.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #10

We are coming up on 7 years.

At first you will likely be in what is called "vacation mode." You will move often, trying to do it all at once. I say go ahead and embrace it - have fun, but remember that if you try to keep up that pace you will run out of energy and probably money.

So, at some point you will begin to transition to a more leisurely touring fulltime approach.

Honestly, you will probably enjoy it more if you mix it up a bit. This year our longest stay was three weeks. In general we move every 7-14 days.

However, once in a while we get into what I call "relocation mode." We are passing through an area that either doesn't interest us, or has been well explored in the past - or, we want to get to an area by a certain time, maybe some big event.

I think we have had just 2 one night stands this year doing a relocation.

Now, all the above describes non-winter travel. During the winter we generally land for about three months. It is a good time to visit the grandkids and the doctor.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
in the last 7 moths we have done 20 states once we get back to az we only plan on moving once every 3-6 months
Sounds like me when I get my own 5'er and am retired. First few years for me it's AZ, NV, UT and MAYBE Idaho. Utah for the mountain biking and Idaho for their 100 mile paved bike trail loop. NV because I love the high desert and AZ because that's the best place to stay in wintertime.

Beyond that I might hit NM, TX, CO, MT if I get bored. NM/TX in winter and CO/MT in the spring.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

If you're interested in seeing the country and not getting burned out or going broke, I'd suggest week long stays at a minimum. Doing just a few days is going to drain you physically, mentally, and financially in a hurry. Month long stays are even better than week long stays. Multiple months is even better than a single month.

Travel is where all the wear and tear comes in for both your rig and yourselves. Sure, it's fun at first, but fuel costs add up. Long days and short nights add up. Setting up and tearing down a site every few days adds up. "Vacation mode" is hard to keep up. Once you start living in an RV full time as opposed to vacationing full time, you'll find the longer stays to be much better. I try to do monthly stays at a minimum.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #13

I am a fulltimer so I usually go somewhere north in the summer and stay 3 or 4 months and in the winter I go somewhere south and stay 3 or 4 months. While traveling north or south I stay a few days to a week at verious locations. You get a better rate on weekly or monthly stays versus daily rates. When visiting family around the country I usually stay a week. Any longer and we will stop talking to each other, lol lol lol
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:45 PM   #14

We always booked a month. This way fourth week was pretty much free. If you get the urge you can leave with no lost rental fees. It is hard to slow down after working your whole life. Staying longer helped us slow down. We found there was always something to do even if today was sit back and read a book doing nothing. Nothing is nice. After you do it a while you will figure out what works for you.

Enjoy the journey

Tags
cat