Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #1

"Thinking" about living in the RV during winter....gulp

Sitting here in the RV writing this and contemplating the 'idea' of staying right were we are and seeing if we could 'handle' living in a 1997 Wide body (but no slides) 32' RV.

I understand most of things I need to do as I've researched it on IRV2 as well as Youtube, but....can we do it?

We sold our house last month and have moved into the RV and staying at a friends place (has 21 acres and 3 RV spots) and we love it. Yes I know..it's only been 2 1/2 weeks and we are able to sit outside and not HAVE to be cooped up inside for months with all the windows covered....so it's easy to say we love it now...but now until April 2020? Gulp...that's a LONG time in a 8x32 'tube'.

BUT...after watching a few videos today about putting up skirting and covering windows and the folks in the videos showing beautiful pictures of snow covered RV's...hmm..looks cozy.

So, I've come to the folks who know...tell me the truth...Is it possible to live in the RV during the winter and STILL REMAIN MARRIED?...Oh, I mean, still remain sane?

I look forward to your comments.

(Here's a pic of where we are)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E81B574-ED7B-4A3E-9355-E4611CD0C1E1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	260829  
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #2

All depends on HOW COLD dose it get?
How long does that COLD last?

What kind of provisions are in place for WATER, DUMPING when it is COLD?

What about propane refilling as needed when COLD?

We spent a few WEEKS in COLD (day time temps 5*F---22*F/Night temps -19*F---0*F)
PROPANE was our life line....30# cylinder (7 gallons) was consumed every other day....to every 3rd day.
Ran off the fresh water tank and refilled during 'warm' part of the day.

Doable.........but not unless I HAVE TOO! (and I grew up in WY/UT)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #3

You're going to need something to keep you occupied... hobbies that you can do indoors.

Is there a reason you want to do this other than watching the snow fall?

Go down to southern Arizona and enjoy the winter sun and if you want snow then drive a few hours up to Flagstaff for a week or so.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:17 AM   #4

We spent 10 plus winters on a houseboat in southern Kentucky.
We were docked 300 plus yards off shore and 8 miles to the nearest town.

We walked the docks most mornings and evenings. Most boats were winterized but a dozen or so fishermen came and went regularly.
Some family's came weekends and we would get together.

We went to town about every week to get the mail and supplies.

We drove to knoxville or Lexington every month or so and stayed overnight and treated ourselves to a nice Dinner out.
Cracker Barrel breakfast and back to the lake.

Actually, It was wonderful [emoji847]
We have no regrets and would do it again.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

Old-Biscuit: How cold? Well....according to Google, Spokane, WA average temps for Dec - Jan: 33 High, 22 Low...but that almost doesn't seem right. But I'm sure Google knows, but we've been here for over 20 years and I seem to remember it being MUCH colder than those temps....of course I was scraping ice while letting the car warm up...but yeah...those temps don't compare to what you've been through.

Wow...7 gallon every other day? Yikes.

Towgypies: Well, I still work, so I would be escaping 5 days out of 7, so really my wife would be the one having to deal with being closed in and no view out the windows. So yeah, another year maybe two, and then we can do the snow bird thing.

HJLowell: Well that certainly sounds like a wonderful experience. My wife and I have talked about buying a houseboat here in Coeur d'Alene, ID (Spokane's only 30 miles west) and living on it...but, it would be completely foreign to us...well, other than a houseboat is pretty much like an RV...but yeah, not sure we could even afford that. I think dockage fees are a bit high anywhere around Lake CDA.

We talked quite a bit about it last night...didn't come up with any strong convictions either way.

Today we're going to go look at a house for rent to see if that might be the way to spend the winter here in Spokane. I think it's the wisest thing to do as the house is fully furnished. We just bring our toothbrush and clothes.

If we had a bigger rig and one that had double pain windows and was a honest to goodness 4 season rig, I think I would be more willing to try it. But a rig without slides during the winter...that's a bit too close I think.

I'll let you know what we decide. Thanks for the input folks!
Old 09-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #6

Since you're working, would it be possible to put your RV in storage and buy a mobile home for the winters until you retire? Then sell it. A mobile home would be a lot easier to winter in and would give you more room. . . possibly even a clubhouse for activities for your wife during the day.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

Been there done that but never again. Not when you can move to warmer climate. If you have been in area for 20 plus years and can move sounds like a good reason to move on. Cheap or no rent isn’t enough of a reason for me to stay.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #8

You can live anywhere you want to if you have the right attitude. Native people lived in tepee's and igloo's during the winter and thrived just fine in past generations.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
You can live anywhere you want to if you have the right attitude. Native people lived in tepee's and igloo's during the winter and thrived just fine in past generations.

Because they HAD TO...options were limited.

OP......
House rental fully furnished is great option while still working.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #10

Welp...reporting back after seeing the house rental.

How do I put this....Nice people...great location (across from golf course), uhm...I wouldn't call them hoarders exactly...but they're getting there!

Sigh..I REALLY wanted to like this house...close to work...close to our normal stomping grounds as far as stores, library, etc...BUT..OH MY GOSH the CLUTTER!!!

I should have picked up on the real estates phrase of "It's a bit cluttered". Talk about an understatement....

It is a 1963 Rancher that has never been updated...which if that was the only issue, no biggy...but every...and I mean almost EVERY square inch of space has taken up with ... with..STUFF!

A frog collection...oops, I mean "Toad" collection in the foray when you 1st walk in...and the owner was so proud of it. Took up almost the entire entreeway.

Well...I was going to go on and on, but suffice to say we passed on it.

Going to look at another house on Tuesday. However, this house has a strange date contract. It starts middle of october like the other house, but then the owners come back in December, and stay through the 2nd of January......Not sure what we would do during that time...switch to a hotel?

So..quick switch...last night we noticed a wet spot on the carpet near the door and kitchen sink. DW asked if I had spilled my coffee in the morning, said no, didn't make any. Hmm..strange. Sat down, took my shoes off, walked over by the sink.."HEY! It's WET HERE!" Took a peak under the sink MOISTURE EVERYWHERE!

It appears our drinking water dispenser has been leaking for sometime as there is a fine layer of fuzzy mold on the side of the cabinet....ugh.

Time for bleach and a spray bottle after we get it all dried out.

Put two fans and a small heater blowing across it all last night. This weekend will be a project to get in there and fix the leak. THAT will be a challenge.

I told my DW I 'think' that's the answer to whether we should winter in the MH or not.

Even though it's not a big deal and is fixable, I can't imagine what else we might encounter in the middle of winter.

Still though...not 100% sure yet.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #11
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
So..quick switch...last night we noticed a wet spot on the carpet near the door and kitchen sink. DW asked if I had spilled my coffee in the morning, said no, didn't make any. Hmm..strange. Sat down, took my shoes off, walked over by the sink.."HEY! It's WET HERE!" Took a peak under the sink MOISTURE EVERYWHERE!

It appears our drinking water dispenser has been leaking for sometime as there is a fine layer of fuzzy mold on the side of the cabinet....ugh.

Time for bleach and a spray bottle after we get it all dried out.
Distilled white vinegar is said to kill over 80% of the species of mold. I use it in a spray bottle. Do not dilute it. It kills the mold, then the smell goes away. It is not as nasty as bleach. Vinegar also gets into porous materials to kill the mold. Bleach only works on the surface, and may actually promote growth of mold.

Here is one source of info that may be helpful. It has a lot more information than I can type.

https://restorationmasterfinder.com/...ch-vs-vinegar/
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #12

everyone is different with different circumstances but we have been fulltime for 7 years and if we had to start siting in one spot without moving and couldn't spend a bunch of time outside we would NOT be fulltime in a RV. But that's us.
I will add, could we if our situation was different and we had to, yes.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #13

Spokane in the winter? NAW. Not in a million years. When we lived in the Portland area we spent one winter at the mouth of the Columbia river gorge. Electricity ran us 250+ a month, we burned about 25 gallons of propane a week. That was about 10 inches of snow and lows of 10. I have been in Spokane when there was 3 feet of snow on the ground and daytime temps never got above 10. If you cannot get out of town, find an apartment and winterize your trailer.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #14

if not in the MH id say stay and winter it. Id skirt the motorhome and get a tank delivered for propane and put the extended stay kit on it. So yoi can hook up to a big tank. Put a oil filled radiator heater in the storage area. Block the windows with the inserts. and a dehumidifier running constant. Get a 35 or 70 pint unit and empty it daily. Keep it dry as possible. That will help a ton. The dehumidifier gives off warm air too. Condensation is not your friend. Same thing in storage area. Put one of the tiny rv units down there. Doing things i mentioned it would be doable.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter