Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #1

Thoughts on full time CG budget

I am retiring next year and have a pretty strict budget (to be able to retire next year). I will be selling the S&B and living FT in the RV.
I've researched many of the bloggers budgets out there. I am wondering if I can get some additional feedback with the amount I am allowing for campgrounds. I plan on spending a decent amount of time boondocking. I do have a 36 ft coach and towing a (low to the ground) Ford Focus. So that may limit where I can dry camp. I will have enough solar and I am single. My initial plan is to stay 10 days or so boondocking then go to a park for a few days and then back to dry camping.
Am considering a TT or similar type of membership as an insurance policy and fallback position. Also plan on having Passport America, Escapees/Days End, and Good Sam memberships.

I am budgeting $450/month ($5,400/year) for campgrounds.

Any thoughts on that amount of budget for RV parks?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
paz

Our CG budget is $600 a month, and we rarely stay where we don't have full hookups and never boondock. With some boondocking and staying at lower cost campgrounds without full amenities, a budget of $450 a month seems doable.

If you are 62 or older, get an America the Beautiful Senior Pass for $10 (good for life). With it, you will not only get free admission to National Parks, but you can get half-price camping at Corps of Engineers campgrounds. Also, look into Passport America. It offers up to 50% off participating campgrounds.

Escapees is an RV club that caters to full-timers. They have numerous campgrounds across the west and south that have fairly low cost camping ($15-$20 a night), and most of them also have a boondocking area that only coast around $5 a night. Pull off your site once a week to dump and refill your fresh water tank, then go right back to your boondock site.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

I would not recommend buying into a Thousand Trails membership, especially at first. Find out what kind of environment you enjoy - nature or RV parks. Also, depending where you will mainly be traveling there are places you won't find TT.

For boondocking spots, we quite often parked the MH, disconnected the car and drove in to find a spot. This determined whether it would be safe for the motorhome. Most major, well-used BLM or national forest roads are graded without big rocks.

The Escapee parks are a great cost-saving option. They have full hookups and range from $265/month to only one in Florida up to $450/month. Some even have longer-term rental fees if you want to stay a season. This would be plus electric.

If you find a Escapee Co-op you like and would like to return or stay there long-term, put you name on the Wait List. It's cost is minimal - $20 or so and when your name comes up - it could be a few years - then you'll be offered to buy into the park. They are leased lots so if you decide it's not for you you'll get whatever money you put into it back to the next person on the list. You won't be out of your initial buy-in or improvement costs. It works well for full-timers and could even give you a permanent place to settle when not RVing anymore. We especially liked the Benson, AZ and Chimacum, WA parks.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We hope to be full timing next Spring and we plan on CG fee's of $450 or less each month. If you book for three or more month's at a time it should be easy. We currently have the Senior Pass and will rejoin Passport America before our departure. Good Luck!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post

I am budgeting $450/month ($5,400/year) for campgrounds.
First hold off on the Thousand Trails membership until you get a handle on how you plan to camp. Then look into buying in the secondary market.

Your budget seems a bit low. From what you are saying you will not be getting monthly rates at the parks. So you will be paying either daily or weekly rates.

5,400 total
30 average daily rate*
180 nights in a park or 185 days boondocking - Does that seem reasonable?

5,400 total
200 average weekly rate*
27 in a park 25 boondocking

*Includes taxes - yes some will be higher and some lower.

To cut down on park costs you need to look at going to them off season. But other costs may increase. If you go to a place that is cold your propane costs will be higher.

I suggest looking at a map of where you will be camping and then look up the rates for the RV parks for where you will be.

No one can really advise you are your costs because how many nights you will be boondocking, when and where are very specific to you.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a brand new RV park in Yuma on Avenue 3e within walking distance of a Walmart store that is advertising an annual rate of 2,000 plus electric per year. If you bought an annual spot you would have some room for sun birding during the hot time you during the summer.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
If you want to try membership campgrounds (we do and use them EXTENSIVELY and save lots of money) try a Thousand Trails zone pass, especially on the west coast. It is ~$500 for a year which includes 30 nights then each night is $3.00. You can stay 2 weeks, then out for a week while you move to another area to explore. No long term commitment other than just renewing for the next year or not. If you really like using membership parks, then you can usually find used ones for sale for sometimes just the transfer fee. I did a blog page that might help you: Membership Parks
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We have averaged $20/ night. We mostly stay in state parks and bring down the average cost with some boondocking, Walmarts etc., friends driveways. We don't include nights spent at workamping locations, only while we are traveling. I didn't think $20/ night would be possible but have been pleasantly surprised.

2002 National Sea Breeze LX 8341
https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
There is a brand new RV park in Yuma on Avenue 3e within walking distance of a Walmart store that is advertising an annual rate of 2,000 plus electric per year. If you bought an annual spot you would have some room for sun birding during the hot time you during the summer.
Do you happen to know the name of this park? Having trouble finding it with online search. Thx
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

It may depend where you plan to spend your time and how successful you are at finding boondocking options. As a Floridian, you know parks in much of FL are pricey (and often fully booked) in the winter. State parks here are budget friendly, especially if you are a FL seniority disabled....in that case you might well be able to stay in state parks much of the time for that budget,though you might have to book and pay for next winter to assure space. You likely know more than I about FL boondocking options.

In other areas, supply is greater than demand, and prices may be lower.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

X3 Tt Zone pass. Consider Minnesota campground host program to get a free month in the summer... I don't think you have to be a resident, although not sure.

Minnesota state park : Campground host locations: Minnesota DNR
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

Allstays ap is all you need for a backup plan.
If you love the freedom of boondocking, you will get bored quickly in rv parks, especially the scruffy TT membership stuff.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Allstays ap is all you need for a backup plan.
If you love the freedom of boondocking, you will get bored quickly in rv parks, especially the scruffy TT membership stuff.
When it is $0 or $3/night you expect a 5 star resort? We don't spend time in an RV park, it is to sleep, recharge, for the next day of exploring. We use TT parks up and down the West Coast - 2 weeks in Sonoma tasting wine, 2 weeks in Morgan Hill exploring south bay area, 2-4 weeks on the Oregon coast, 2 weeks in Monroe to visit relatives in the northern Seattle area, 2 weeks in Birch Bay to explore upper Puget Sound, Vancouver BC day trips, and on and on. When not in a TT park, we use ROD or C2C for 1-2 weeks out of the system. Often go for 6 wks or more without any out-of-pocket expenses.

I didn't buy a coach with all the amenities in order to take "navy showers" and do without while boondocking. Have done it - do not like it. Luckily there are options for everyone when RVing
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #14

Thoughts on full time CG budget

In parks, $0 to $3 (plus all other TT fees that touters will not show in amortized value) is no measuring point compared to booning (with out TT fees) or a fine RV resort.
And no Navy showers required. We are mobil nuff to accomodate all of the basic needs. Some hate to break camp for all of the tea lights to stow.
We explore from wherever we are, seeing stuff that Disney only has in plastic. The real moose, elk, etc are too grand for some.
I will not put up with seasonals having the best sites, and the other faithful payers getting the dregs; unlevel, no sewer, shoddy and deteriorating amenities, loose dogs, and locations not within good logistics for our agendas.
YMMV, but our mileage and venues are top notch.
Okay, I'll give up that the ambience of the location does not mean so much.
BTW, we do California, but we don't suffer a bit.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time