Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Three months in...and the adventure continues!

This is my first post on this forum. I thought I'd share some of the adventures that I've had since going full-time in late July for both your amusement and perhaps you can learn something from my errors! This is the first installment, so there's more to come! I wouldn't want to burden you too much at one time!

As a single guy, I had nothing to keep me from going full-time, so I went for it! I own a windshield repair business, and figured I could do that just about anywhere, so it travels with me.

I sold my home in Thornton, CO and the VAST majority of my possessions I've spent 54 years accumulating. Somewhat surprising how refreshing it is to be rid of stuff! I purchased a 2008 Ford F-350 (srw) and a 2008 40' Fusion toy-hauler. The trailer had to be a toy-hauler to accommodate my 2002 Honda Goldwing motorcycle. A bit heavy for the truck, so hence mistake number one: I should have been a bit more patient and found a dually. It would have been an easier pull with the trailer.

I stayed in the Denver area to spend time with family and take care of some details before leaving the state. While there, I installed a washer/dryer combo; best purchase yet! I love being able to do my laundry without having to use a laundromat. That baby is worth every penny! Since my trailer was already piped for the unit, all I had to do was cut a hole in the side for the vent. Nerve-wracking, for sure, but worth the effort.

While in route between campsites, my 108,000-mile engine in the truck popped and started pouring smoke out the exhaust, leaving me stranded on I-25 north of Denver. After using the Good Sam roadside assistance, I found my trailer parked behind carwash in Johnson's Corner while the truck was towed to the Ford dealer in Loveland.

What I'd hoped was a blown turbo turned out to be a burned piston. I'd purchased a warranty on the truck, but it took them 4 weeks to approve and replace the engine. In the meantime, I found a park in Loveland, and, with a $100 bill, got one of the occupants to come down and bring my trailer back to the park.

While waiting for the truck to be returned (and cursing my luck), I spent the time getting settled in my trailer. The decals on the exterior were completely trashed, so I stripped them, removed the adhesive, buffed the oxidation off and waxed the entire exterior. This is NOT a job I'd recommend to anyone! That was tough, but worth it. Now, the trailer is very generic in appearance, with only my company decals on the nose and on the ramp door.

I also began weeding out more stuff that I thought I absolutely had to keep but didn't really need. I'm a tool guy, so I kept a lot of tools...I mean a LOT of tools. Most of them went by the wayside, donated to the maintenance guys at the park.

Here's a few things I learned in my first month:
*There's no sense keeping tools that don't fit anything you no longer have. I lost almost 300 lbs giving those up!
*Glass dishes bounce when rolling down the road. When they bounce, they break. That's a mess to clean up!
*Make sure nothing is between the slide and the counter. The slide will win.
*Always have some water in the tank...even when you don't plan to boondock it. You never know when you'll need it!
*The refrigerator door latch clicks closed for a reason. It, too, bounces when you roll down the highway...and it's way more messy than the glass dishes!
*Four straps on a 1000lb motorcycle are not sufficient. I trusted the previous owner's tie-downs and ripped three of them out, allowing the bike to tip and damage the mirror against the side of the trailer. Now, I have e-tracks and multiple tie-down locations.

I pulled out of Denver and headed for Iowa to visit some dear friends on October 3rd. We'll save that trip for the next installment!
GoatLocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

Wow, what an adventure, but your living the life. Enjoy every minute. Can't wait to hear the next story.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the fulltiming! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Welcome chief.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

Living the dream!
Good luck with your adventures!
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

. . .Sounds as though you have the right attitude as *Stuff-Happens* in life & just gotta go with it or adapt. . . Right now my wife & I are moving "stuff" out of our house / giving to kids, etc. . .Gonna hit the road fulltime soon & I am wondering if I am keeping too much "stuff"? Feel as though I am. . . Have a feeling that when we return I will not want a lot of the"stuff" I have deemed necessary in the future. . . Told the wife we can stay in a local campground / RV park until we find another place in our development ( like it here ) when we decide to return. . .Wife is from the Philippines so we might do both when I get older. . . Life continues to be good for us!!!. . . Good luck to you. . .
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Be careful tieing down the Goldwing, if your using the rear crash bars, don't over tighten them as they will break off. Had this happen to a friend, they actual recommend pulling side cover and tieing to frame, hope you have better luck, waiting for the next installation of your story

Tags
vent