Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Time to get real - tax time

So we retired and went full time last spring in our 40’DP. Sold the house in Ohio and have set up domicile in Florida while we travel. Any suggestions on finding a decent CPA in Central FL to do our taxes this year?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
TurboTax will walk you through sale of home, retirement income, dividends, long and short term gains, filing part year state taxes, etc.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:18 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We split our time between our home in the Dominican Republic (2-3 months at a time) and traveling around the US in our Motor Home (3-4 months at a time). We also Domicile in Florida (ST. Branden's Isle)) for 6-7 years. We have a very good accountant in the Orlando area that we have used for the last 4-5 years. PM me if you want here contact info. She seems to enjoy working with "strange case" clients
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
JohnnyB.. We are in the same boat.. Sold home in Oregon and now domiciled South Dakota.. Returning to Ore. in March to do the last year of Oregon's Income taxes...

Hope to use our current tax man this year but , next year may have to go with someone based in SD..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #5

Many if not most Walmart's are pretty much getting all geared up to do annual tax returns for folks up in front of the store. Personal returns can run around $150-$300. If you're self employed they jump to $350-$400 because of self-employment tax and other business forms that are needed. Bring your last return with you.

Just talked to a lady in the Walmart tax return booth about this last week.

If you don't have a complicated return this would be a good option IMO.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
TurboTax will walk you through sale of home, retirement income, dividends, long and short term gains, filing part year state taxes, etc.
x2
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
JohnnyB.. We are in the same boat.. Sold home in Oregon and now domiciled South Dakota.. Returning to Ore. in March to do the last year of Oregon's Income taxes...

Hope to use our current tax man this year but , next year may have to go with someone based in SD..
SD does not have a State income tax so you could continue to use your OR tax person to do your Fed return. I also have a SD domicile but still use my CA tax guy. I have rental property in CA so he also does my CA Non Resident tax return on my rental income.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBuckI View Post
So we retired and went full time last spring in our 40’DP. Sold the house in Ohio and have set up domicile in Florida while we travel. Any suggestions on finding a decent CPA in Central FL to do our taxes this year?
I've always completed my taxes online but last year with the same changes you are going through I used https://www.sixtcpa.com/. Not in FL but they are familiar with RVers, multi state stuff.
Mike
mrome54369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Why would you need a cpa? If your income is just social security and investments, you can do it yourself. As others have stated, use the Turbo Tax website. It’s easy.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Our IRS filling totals 38 pgs with investment income and FL rental properties. Been doing taxes on line using Turbotax for last 25 years. Turbotax is partnered with most national investment brokers and one key stoke loads all your dividend/interest income data.
Always amazes me when routine filers pay accountants hundreds of dollars to file.

Try it, you too will be amazed.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #11

We use Turbo Tax too. We've had business income for years. No problem. People keep telling me I need to use a tax professional but by the time I printed out all of our documents, gathered them up, explained it all to a CPA, I could have entered them into Turbo Tax and saved hundreds.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Watch out Turbo Tax went up. Simple taxes free. $40 to 150 most others. But easy, took 2 hours and $40, last year $20.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:12 AM   #13

I use H & R Block at home software... think I paid $22 on sale for the deluxe version (federal and state) on Amazon.

Anyone can do their taxes easily. If you can answer questions, you can follow the easy steps.
Camper25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Taxes done and sent. Still using our CPA in central FL.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote