Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #1

Timing of Changing Residency etc

We are going to be transitioning to full time RV in just under 1 year. We are looking and evaluating options on Class A. If we can do it legally, we want to purchase and take delivery in SD where we plan to set up residency. Since we currently live in NV we are not trying to run away from income tax, as we do not have any here, but we certainly would like to avoid the outrageous sales tax and registration here. We truly plan to set up in SD for many reasons. But our house will not likely be sold before our MH purchase. We are going to try to sell house before the big retirement date and would like to have MH to live in for as long as we need to finalize all NV business. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience either with NV or another state. I know that the Las Vegas area is not strange to out of state plates as we are near Nellis Air Force Base and they get new deployments from all over. A lot of Alaska plates (:
lllump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope the fulltiming works out great and you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

The sale of your house is of no consequence as you can own real estate anywhere without affecting domicile. However, you are already a NV resident and domicilary and will remain so until you establish a new domicile.

If you reside in NV until you move to SD, but buy the RV now and keep it out of NV, using a SD address, you'll probably be okay, even though not right. I think NV would have a difficult time tracking you down as a tax evader. OTOH, I think you'd have a difficult time asserting you were using a legal tax "avoidance" scheme rather than committing evasion.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:20 AM   #5

I don't want to move twice if we can avoid it.
We will wait and see which state we will make our new domicile in but want to buy the coach and transition with our house on the market. Not knowing how fast it will sell, would we be able to claim our new domicile, record the purchase/sales tax in the new domicile state during this transition?
I think so, but would like others to weigh in that might have one it this way.
Thanks.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

Okay, here's what you can do to change domicile: abandon current residence address (not the property), live at new address, change driver's licenses, registration of all vehicles, change of address with USPS, doctors at new address, register to vote, professional affiliations, banks, library cards, yada yada.

You don't have to do all the above and the list is not all inclusive. An argument could be made you're doing exactly what you're asking about, i.e., timing your change, rather than evading those pesty taxes. It all comes down to your actions and if anyone even tests your decisions. May the odds always be in your favor.

Caveat: I am opining herein rather than providing legal advice.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

Ralphie, thanks.
Our intent is not to avoid any taxes due or owed.
Would like to establish the new domicile during the house sale.
Our timing and transition would be a lot easier if we did not live in a northern clime. Wintertime is not the most ideal time to list a house.
We'll see how this plays out I guess.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #8

Wintertime is not necessarily bad. We listed Dec 6, 2015, had a P&S 1st week of January 2016. By November all that is left on the market are houses that are either overpriced or have problems. So although there are fewer buyers, there is even less quality inventory. And you're not competing with new build.

Typical buyers are families who are job relocating.
Grace & Carl. Full time 5/31/16. Past-1980-ish 24 ft class A. 2003 Monaco Dynasty 40 Chancellor, 2010 Mini Cooper S, both CRASHED on 11/19 Now - 2006 Monaco Dynasty Platinum IV, 2011 Mini Cooper S CRASHED November 11/21 deer strike. 2016 GMC Acadia.
Pepperell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #9

We are also currently in Nevada and plan move domicile but to TX. We sold our house last fall and are in an apartment currently. We will be ordering our new MH in July and taking delivery in Oct/Nov. We plan to hit the road full time in Dec or Jan.

Our plan is to switch domicile just before we get the MH, or maybe right after. In any case, we will fly to TX to get our drivers license and either register our MH then or once we take delivery. We will register the Jeep at the same time we get our DL's. We'll also change address to our new one in TX. Better get used to forwarding, right?

I don't see a problem but we don't have a house. We live in an apartment with a lease set to expire on Dec 1. Moving is a process, not an event. It takes time to sell homes, move possession, change domicile, etc. The temporary nature of our housing reinforces that idea that we are moving. Same might be said of your house being for sale. You wouldn't be the first person to move while having a house for sale.

You have the added wrinkle, however, of trying to avoid paying NV sales tax. We'll be buying from CA and we've decided to just pay the sales tax there. By the time the dealer delivers out MH to NV, we'll have lost any advantage to paying NV sales tax. Trying to avoid NV altogether seems tough. A NV dealer would have to deliver to SD, I'd think. Otherwise he'd collect it at the time of sale by law.

We're moving to TX to avoid the punishing vehicle registration fees. The sales tax hit is a one time deal. The thousands we'd pay in registration fees is yearly! YMMV depending on the final cost of your MH. The numbers may be much larger than ours.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just be sure what ever you do is legal! Buying too soon may expose you to legal ramifications of needing to pay sales/use tax and registration in NV since you would have the rig there while waiting.

BTW:
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #11

Wavering

Are you going to the big Pomona Show? We plan on looking there.

I am leaning towards just buying, registering my MH in NV.

Seems that changing the residency before we have looked the country over and made a decision where we might (if ever) put down some more roots is putting the cart before the horse.

I do not like the idea of the high registration fees here, but the state has to pay for services somehow.

Might even have mail sent to relative for a bit, too. One less thing to get in a fuss over.

After we are on the road a bit, and see how it goes, we will have much more time to think about all that stuff.

Good luck on your adventure! I am sure you are just as anxious to get going as we are.
lllump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllump View Post
Are you going to the big Pomona Show? We plan on looking there.

I am leaning towards just buying, registering my MH in NV.

Seems that changing the residency before we have looked the country over and made a decision where we might (if ever) put down some more roots is putting the cart before the horse.

I do not like the idea of the high registration fees here, but the state has to pay for services somehow.

Might even have mail sent to relative for a bit, too. One less thing to get in a fuss over.

After we are on the road a bit, and see how it goes, we will have much more time to think about all that stuff.

Good luck on your adventure! I am sure you are just as anxious to get going as we are.
We are ordering a Newmar Bay Star in a month or so. Just waiting so we don't take delivery too soon and have to store it for a long period.

I agree, one step at a time. Thinking about settling down after you full time RV before you've even done that is putting the cart before the horse. We expect to keep an eye out for a nice place to live, assuming we don't return to Nevada but that's not in the forefront of our mind.

As for NV registration, have you done an estimate online? The coach we're going to order MSRP's for about $145k. That will cost us over $2000 to register. And the depreciation won't save us much in future years. We might "only" have to pay $1900 the following year.

And unless I'm missing something, there is no cap. You buy a $500k DP and you'll pay upwards of $6000. It's crazy! And if you change domicile a month later, there is no refund. Moving out of state doesn't qualify.

I get what you're saying about NV needing the revenue but we won't be here to benefit from that. We won't be in TX very often either but I'd rather pay $300 instead of $2400 (including the Jeep) to a state I don't live in most of the year.

Changing domicile doesn't really have anything to do with where you'll live, now or in the future. It's your home base, where you vote, where your mail goes, etc. If I were you, I'd do what we're doing. Pay the NV sales tax and maybe that first years registration. Then when your house sells, swap domicile for SD or TX. You'll save thousands every year in registration. How many tanks of gas will $2000, in our case, buy?

And yes, we are very anxious. Waiting is slowly sucking our will to live
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
I don't see where the problem is with SD registration. If you have an address, change drivers license to SD, move your bank accounts you are a SD resident. You can purchase your vehicle in any state and only pay what's due in SD. I have bought vehicles out of state and get temporary plates drive home pay the taxes and registration fees and go on my way. NV has no claim to your purchase just because you own property there.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllump View Post
We are going to be transitioning to full time RV in just under 1 year. We are looking and evaluating options on Class A. If we can do it legally, we want to purchase and take delivery in SD where we plan to set up residency. Since we currently live in NV we are not trying to run away from income tax, as we do not have any here, but we certainly would like to avoid the outrageous sales tax and registration here. We truly plan to set up in SD for many reasons. But our house will not likely be sold before our MH purchase. We are going to try to sell house before the big retirement date and would like to have MH to live in for as long as we need to finalize all NV business. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience either with NV or another state. I know that the Las Vegas area is not strange to out of state plates as we are near Nellis Air Force Base and they get new deployments from all over. A lot of Alaska plates (:

I can only speak to the registration part of your question. I live in Las Vegas and coincidentally store my DP at Nellis AFB ($25 month storage fee and I'm 50 feet from the Security Police K9 facility). When we purchased from a private party I worried about high registration costs. As it turned out it was roughly $1,600 and is based on Blue Book value, not what you paid. Of course I wish it was $25 but that is not the real world. I personally did not think the fee was horrible but had hoped for a more reasonable $500 or so.

The good news is I'm thrilled with my storage option. I had searched around town and prices ranged from about $250 to a whopping $750. In fact the day I got my spot at Nellis (first come, first serve based on size availability) the guy behind me in line was wanting a 40' spot too. The lady said they had not had one in months but the night before a fellow vacated the one I got. I tap danced and the other fellow offered me $5K for the spot. For a brief moment I considered his offer but where was I going to get anything near as reasonable, fenced area, with my "own" K9 security. Coincidentally, I later stopped at the K9 facility to see how they do training (we have two very ferocious (LOL) Coton de Tulear -15 lb fur balls) and was given the VIP treatment. The guys were excited to show off their dogs, gave me a lot of training tips, and they have since used my DP for training. I like that I have a good relationship with these folks and hope it adds some additional level of watchfulness.

I'm curious about how you can avoid the sales tax. I've heard about the Montana and South Dakota 'options' but fear the real legality of it. Being as you are selling your home, and establishing residency in SD, would seem to meet all legal requirements and not appear to be trying to avoid the taxes. Rather, you are 'moving' to another state with a better tax rate. I have a couple of 'genius' friends who know 'everything' and have done a variety of things to skip taxes. One is presently on 30 months probation and the other ended up paying about double what he would have had he not been so 'smart'. The tax, fines, penalties, legal fees, etc can be very painful. I've decided I'm an idiot and just pay what they tell me and live a great life without fear of someone looking for me because I 'saved myself' a couple hundred bucks.

Good luck and please post what you end up doing. Who knows, I may buy a new DP someday and your wisdom/research could be invaluable.

If you need help, interested in a fellow Las Vegas RV owner, I can be reached at:

Wpredinger@juno.com
702-334-8648 cell/text

"MrB1LL"

Bill Redinger
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote