Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #1

Tiny House vs RV once FT traveling ends

My wife and I are both retired and started traveling as FTer’s last year and loving it. But at some point this party will end and we’ll be settling down somewhere that we found along the way. We’ve always said that, at that time, we’ll buy a 5ver, park it somewhere for a year or two at a time and finish out our years that way. Not buying a truck, but when and if we want to move to a different place, just pay someone to move it for us.

But then I ran into this story and I’m like hmmmmm…this might be another option we want to look at a little closer. And this has the same ability to be moved from time to time.

It starts out this way WHY NOT AN RV?
RV's are great at what they are designed for, towability. The problem with living in an RV is that you FEEL like you're living in an RV. Many RVs have the aesthetic inspiration of a styrofoam cooler and are built as cheaply and quickly as possible.

A typical mobile tiny house build takes around 12 weeks.

There are several different companies now that are competing in this space. I read about a couple of them in the following article.
https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san...photo-16950758
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If you aren't going to move about, then look at Park Models. Same footprint, but with everything on one floor. We now 1/2 time, with the winter spent in a Park Model (at a very nice RV park) and the summer in the motorhome. When we make the next transition it will be in the PM until it is time for assisted living (or living with our daughter).
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

I'm with Barb & Dave -- go with a Park Model. We winter in AZ in a park model. Very comfy. BTW, since Park Models are "technically" classified as RVs, you're still full timing when you live in one.

Barb, is your Park Model on a deeded or leased lot?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #4

I also agree that you should consider a Park Model or even a mobile home. A tiny house usually has sleeping upstairs - steep stairs and sometimes with limited head room. That's not for older folks! Also, have you ever seen a tiny house being transported or being used in a RV park? We haven't. To us, they're just a fad for young folks trying to play house.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Actually I’ve seen a few tiny houses in RV parks. Recently saw a group of about 3 traveling together. See no advantage over an RV.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If you aren't going to move about
PM are good if you—aren't—going to move. So that would be correct. We understand that and have looked into the park model option but you all missed our main point.

As we posted, the Tiny House option would give us the ability to MOVE every year or two if we want to, it's quite different than living in a fiberglass kleenex box, it's very customizable with home like amenities, better built than a RV and takes 12 weeks to build.

We don't know what we're going to do. Just looking at what's out there. Thought this option was interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
To us, they're just a fad for young folks trying to play house.
Yes this could be true but until we have more knowledge and talk to folks we'll withhold our judgement for now. I've learned that "I don't know what I don't know".

I probably posted this article on the wrong website forum.

Peace...
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #7

I've never understood the tiny house thing. There is way more room in a 5th wheel. Easy hook up and easy to relocate.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
PM are good if you—aren't—going to move. So that would be correct. We understand that and have looked into the park model option but you all missed our main point.

As we posted, the Tiny House option would give us the ability to MOVE every year or two if we want to, it's quite different than living in a fiberglass kleenex box, it's very customizable with home like amenities, better built than a RV and takes 12 weeks to build.

We don't know what we're going to do. Just looking at what's out there. Thought this option was interesting.

I probably posted this article on the wrong website forum.

Peace...
Tiny houses turn me off because there is no way I'm going to climb to lofts! There are some very nice Park Model Trailers - meant to move every once in a while, that you might want to look at.
Blog
Old 02-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #9

To the OP. You need to investigate.... 'destination' trailers. Several manufacturers offer them. Forest River, Keystone, Thor, Jayco, etc. Easily moved or towed to a new location, and totally different than a typical permanent 'park model'.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
To the OP. You need to investigate.... 'destination' trailers. Several manufacturers offer them. Forest River, Keystone, Thor, Jayco, etc. Easily moved or towed to a new location, and totally different than a typical permanent 'park model'.
I learned something new today. Thank You
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #11

my winter retirement home is a Tiny House and its PERFECT

My Tiny House is on a rented site in an RV/Mobile home park in AZ. Its 35 ft long and is all one level. I'm retired and occupy it each winter. Its just perfect for me! I knew nothing about RVing but was quickly able to come up to speed with a little help from my neighbors.
It was built on a heavy duty tandem manufactured trailer, using high end residential materials and fitted with RV appliances and waste system.
I had it moved from where it was made, 600 miles with a 1 ton pickup. I feel it will hold its value because the materials are extremely durable... residential 32"steel entry door, engineered lap siding, metal roof, metal studs, 1/2 inch sheet rock, Ikea cabinets, corian countertops, deep double SS sink, dual pane windows, tankless water heater, heated waste tanks, ducted humidity controls, 2 ceiling fans, combo washer, 36" shower w glass door, egress window in the 8' bedroom.....a futon couch and a 50" tv!
The biggest plus though is it can be easily towed someplace else. It could hit the road in under an hour to another RV lot. This will be my 6th winter and so far absolutely no regrets. I feel very fortunate!
Cassie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If you aren't going to move about, then look at Park Models. Same footprint, but with everything on one floor. We now 1/2 time, with the winter spent in a Park Model (at a very nice RV park) and the summer in the motorhome. When we make the next transition it will be in the PM until it is time for assisted living (or living with our daughter).

We are doing the same. Best of both worlds.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 PM   #13

Tiny houses have some serious advantages over RVs. They are built exactly as you want them to be. Want a level floor plan with no lofts? Okay, that's totally possible. Want extra large lofts with bookshelves and a place to properly store your two kayaks and BBQ pit? Okay, you can get that too. Want real S&B grade cabinets and furniture? Okay, that's easy. Want an extra 8,000 pounds of cargo capacity so you can fill it with whatever you have that's 8,000 pounds? Okay, that's also easy. Want full size appliances instead of those little RV ones? Again, that's easy. You've got full size residential doors. Larger ones are built on gooseneck trailers, which are built significantly better than 5th wheel RV frames. They are much better insulated than any RV you can buy for twice the cost. The best part is that they feel like a sticks and bricks house, not like an RV. It's like the difference between a Porsche 911 and a Mustang GT. Sure they're both nice cars, but the Porsche is in a whole different class. Tiny houses are not RVs. They are in a different class. Everyone complains about the poor quality of RVs. Tiny houses are the answer to those problems. They have the quality everyone is looking for, and are surprisingly cheap for what you get.

There are also some downsides to a tiny house. They are heavier than a comparably sized RV, so you need a good sized tow vehicle. They normally run about 500 pounds per linear foot. My RV is 37 feet long and would weigh about 18,500 pounds if it were a tiny house. As it is, it's at least 10,000 pounds lighter than that. That's a pretty significant difference. They are also harder to insure because they don't fit neatly into any categories. They aren't really RVs, and they aren't the usual S&B house, so insurers have a hard time figuring out the risk involved. They also aren't very common, so there is little incentive for insurance companies to figure things out. They are hard to tow. They are big and heavy and you really need to know what you're doing to tow one. They are usually 13 feet tall or taller. (You can of course build one shorter if you so desire.)

Also, don't believe the rumor that you can't take them to RV parks. Every RV park I've asked has been more than happy to accept a tiny house. A few have actually had tiny houses in them.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Difference between Park Model and tiny home would be what besides costs? Remember, the OP is talking about NOT traveling? All the things you mentioned are in newer Park Models.
Blog

Tags
travel