Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

Tips for finding the lesser known parks?

My wife and I have been full timing for a year now, and we just started making our way across the country last month. The last couple parks we've stayed at have been so much more affordable than ones found searching Google.
Sure, they're dumpy. Most of the trailers have flat tires and aren't going anywhere, and they're not the cleanest. But we've found the people that live there are much more interesting.
Not only is it out of our budget, but I just plain don't care to stay at "RV resorts" through our travels.
Does anyone have any tips for finding the less than desirable RV parks across the country? So far we've lucked out just pulling into places that look right, but we can't count on that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #2

Use this site and you'll find a mix of types of parks - private, resorts, plain-Jane's and public.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #3

I think it might depend on where you are. I was bummed thinking the parks around me were few and far between. Using all the apps people recommended and searching.

Then I picked a spot on google maps tapped the magnifying glass and searched nearby campgrounds and there were tons..and cheaper. We aren't interested in resorts either.

So I dont know how you were using google but give google maps a shot.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:48 AM   #4

Here's a couple more options. Download apps too.

https://www.rvparky.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rv-p...991632449?mt=8
Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

We use Allstays. I never even thought of using Google to find a CG with all the other websites and apps available.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We use Allstays. I never even thought of using Google to find a CG with all the other websites and apps available.
A lot of websites and apps depend on a campground subscribing or reviews or whatever. The thing that tipped me off was I have a friend that owns a campground near here and it didn't show up on anything except google maps.
RV parky has been the most helpful in finding other lesser known places to camp.

Good sams and passport america have very few locations near us. We travel within a few hours of where we live...we still have jobs and cant find internet service at campgrounds fast/reliable enough for both of us to work from home.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I have been using it more and more because not only are there all different types of campgrounds listed, but all of the other info.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

We use Allstays, RVparky, Campendium and Days End(Escapees only). We verify the cg in campgroundreviews.com. I don't think a cg needw to pay to be in any of these. Actually I think only Good Sam and Woodalls would be that type of listing and wew rarely use those.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #9

Lots of new ones I haven't heard of on here. I've got RV Parky, but that seems more geared towards one night stops and campgrounds. I'm looking for the run down suburban trailer parks.
Google maps seems to be a great hit. I'm finding way more than I was before!
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use google/google maps, allstays, rvparkreviews, campendium, and TripAdvisor. We definitely come across those types of places on all of those platforms but I think google maps will give you the most. In addition to searching the word 'campground' you can search 'mobile home' 'trailer park' and 'manufactured home'.
Swan-Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #11

After reading and responding to your employment post I thought I would help you out with RV Parks. I use mainly boondocking spots or others that are more economical. I suggest, for you, since the cost of a spot is going to eat in to your budget, look at camp hosting. As the winter is coming there are more spots being opened in the south for the snowbirds which means more camp host openings.

As I travel from spot to spot I rarely pay for camping. I use Freecampsites.net and Campedium along with allstays. I look for the BLM and NF spots that allow 14 days at a time, and as a disabled vet, with access pass, these spots are half price. This summer in Alaska I used the state parks since they have a disabled veteran pass. The disabled passes help but I don't rely on them, I more try to find the free sites. Currently I am parked outside of Palmer Alaska for two weeks right by the river. I love the tillamook state forest in Oregon because it is free and I can camp either at an established site or most anyplace I can fit my trailer. Always look for these little gems first before I pay for a site.

Established campgrounds are fine but instead of paying for a postage stamp I invested in solar panels, generator, a way to transport water and a blue boy tote for the waste. If the cost of gas to a free spot is less than the campground fee then I go there if it is not economical then I pay for a campground spot. These upgrades and planning has paid for the generator, panels and totes many times over in saved campground fees. Now I have the great outdoors as my neighbor instead of the meth heads that keep you up night screaming at each other.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #12

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned in my other thread, the park host gigs are attractive, but I fear our work might require us to be a little more metropolitan. Of course, even with this kind of lifestyle it can be nice to change things up once in a while. I've seen the freecampsites.net site before. Seems super handy! We're not the most prepared for boondocking, but we can last about a week off grid. Any more than that and it's time to get back to work anyway!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #13

Park Advisor

We, too, struggled with finding decent, reasonable campgrounds. Then a camping neighbor showed us the Park Advisor app on his phone, available for both Apple and Android for a free download. This is the app we use the most; it lists all kinds of campgrounds, showing relevant logos on a map (National Parks, Forest Service, Corps of Engineers, BLM, ... tents for state parks, trees for city / county parks, red circles for commercial campgrounds, Elks, Moose, Walmart, Cabelas, truck stops, etc etc. For most, there are comments, facts such as max RV length, etc. Also a link for their web site, directions, etc.

I've been told it's similar to Parky or Allstay, but this is the one we depend on most.

Sometimes I'll check out freecampsites.net if we want to boondock or just overnight.
arboldt is offline   Reply With Quote