Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #1

Transfer switch

I had to have my transfer switch replaced. I am not technically sharp enough to fully explain this, but it is a switch that contains the surge protector and basically switches between land power, generator power or engine power to deliver power to the coach.

While the tech was here we tested the different sources and of course once he left it started acting up. When the A/C or something needing a lot of electricity comes on, it causes the land power fuse to break and we are on battery power. I started the generator that has been working fine and it starts, runs for a while then shuts off, it shows a service fault 13 under A/C volt. I am running the engine to charge the batteries that were low as I did not realize what was happening until the air would not come back on. I anticipate or hope that something is just not installed correctly with the transfer switch.

Does anyone know what the fault is trying to tell me from the generator and is it a stretch to think it is even something with the installation of the transfer switch or maybe the switch itself? We have two problems with the coach that have been just a nightmare trying to get addressed, with the biggest problem being Entegra not being responsive and sending out the wrong parts for repair. A very unusual situation. I had gone to Don Brubaker to start with only because I had previously had Entegra tell me they would not replace my microwave a second time when it went out, to then have Don call me and tell me they were, by then I had already bought and installed a GE microwave as we had been without a microwave for several weeks trying to get it addressed.

Any insight from the scores of people who know a heck of a lot more about the workings of this coach than me?

Mike
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Transfer switch

The new issue is probably related to the transfer switch swap. I suggest getting a tech to recheck everything and/or diagnose again.
You may also benefit from posting this in the systems and technology section. There are many learned folks available there.
Best wishes!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

FWIW the transfer switch usually refers to switching the AC line between shore power and generator power. It generally does not refer to main engine power as the main engine usually does not have a separate generator for AC line power. (120 Volts Alternating Current).

If you have a whole house inverter that contains a second transfer switch that passes AC from the first transfer switch output or connects the Inverter output in it's place. That provides AC power from your DC battery bank.

You need to understand each of those functions to understand what is failing.

A/C generally refers to Air Conditioning. Generally there is not enough battery capacity to run the A/C off the inverter output AC line.

From your description it sounds like you blew an AC line fuse or more likely tripped a circuit breaker. The Inverter then kicked in via the second transfer switch providing you with AC power until the battery ran down. You need to determine where the power is interrupted and why the fuse or breaker tripped.

From what little I can find code 13 sounds like low voltage from the generator assuming it is an Onan QD series unit.

It really looks like you need some professional help finding out why the AC line power is not working. I would make a working assumption that the transfer switch is not the problem though it could be. More to the point is finding out why the AC power fuse is failing. If there is too much load or a short circuit in the coach it would cause both the line power and the generator power to fail the way you describe. You present yourself as not technically able to trouble shoot something like that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds to me like two separate problems (Generator low voltage, and shore power post circuit breaker tripping)....neither of which would normally be related to the transfer switch which is 'downstream' of those power sources.

What problems have you had, that someone determined that the transfer switch should be replaced?

If it was my coach I'd be checking/tightening all of the wire connections, including neutrals and grounds....but that's easy for me to do. Not so easy if you don't normally work with electricity.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #5

Transfer switch/Generator

Initially the transfer switch was clicking on and off not allowing the coach to change over to batteries and not staying on long enough to use either land or generator.

I appreciate the input and help. The tech showed back up today and the new switch was bad causing the new problems. He has ordered another switch and hot wired us to the site source until the new one comes in and can be installed.

The generator will work now without the fault occurring. The generator is not connected to the coach again, but will be once he gets a new switch.

I do appreciate the responses and help.

Mike
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch