Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Traveling with vehicle title?

We are full-timers going on three or four years now and we own our rig and toad outright.

Should we keep the vehicle titles with us or keep them in our safe-deposit box? We've always traveled with them and kept them in a secret compartment. Now I'm wondering whether having them with us at all is even necessary or even a good idea.

THANKS!!
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprived View Post
We are full-timers going on three or four years now and we own our rig and toad outright.

Should we keep the vehicle titles with us or keep them in our safe-deposit box? We've always traveled with them and kept them in a secret compartment. Now I'm wondering whether having them with us at all is even necessary or even a good idea.

THANKS!!
No, keep them off the MH. You may need them when it's totaled in a wreck, flood, hurricane or fire.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

As full timers for 6 years, I keep our vehicle titles with us in a file cabinet in the fifth wheel. I have upgraded our motorcycle and truck in the last 6 years while full timing and having the title handy was a much easier experience. I do keep a scanned title copy on file and if the original title gets lost/destroyed, then just file for a new title, just like you would in a S/B house.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #4

We keep all of our titles in a safe deposit box in our hometown where our bank accounts are. Wills, birth records, etc are also kept there.
In our case both of my sons also live in the same town. Either one has access and is able to retrieve items for me if needed. We traded in our boat last fall and had the title for the boat and trailer in hand for the transaction in less than a week.
I like Grindstone1's idea, but in our case the copy will be with us and the original in the SD box.
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We keep our with us and scan them into our computer as well.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The titles are with us in a fire proof ( or at least hopefully ,very fire resistant box) along with our passports, insurance papers etc. The titles and other documents are all replaceable if stolen or lost. We do keep photo copies of all those documents at my sister-in-laws .
Old 04-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
RV LIFE Support Team

X2.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Stored to protect from submersion in liquid or fire I would keep them with me. Otherwise I'd only have them with me if I needed them.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Several times have needed the titles when traveling. Don't leave home without them.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

Years ago, buddy blew up his old porsche in Utah, shop wanted big bucks to fix it, which he didn't have. So shop offered him cash and a ride to the airport for the car and the title. Wouldn't have worked if he hadn't had his title with him.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #11

We keep in a locked fire safe in one of the bays along with passports, marriage and birth certificates and other important papers. Another good thing is a CD or drive with pictures of all your stuff. Include the serial # tags for your electronics.

We've been through a house fire and know important they all are.
Bobkat3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #12

Wow. Kind of an interesting mix of answers here! Good answers!

!!THANKS!!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Several times have needed the titles when traveling.
What came up for you that you needed the titles?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Copies are easy to do

Tags
travel