Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #1

Trying to stay warm in a 3 season Trailer

I thought our 5th wheel would do better in the cool weather and so much for the 'All Season' sticker on the side. We are about 1/3 way down in Florida but this current cold spell is dipping into our area.

I can feel the slide areas are one area of insulation weakness in the trailer.

We have stayed in this trailer in the mountains in Pa. this summer which had some cool nights. That was the 1st indication that heating would be an issue.
Now the cold weather in Florida.

We will focus on getting a well insulated 5th wheel for our next rig. Excel and DRV are two of our top choices.

Hope everyone else that is also not in a well insulated trailer is staying warm.

Only 36 more hours to go.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #2

Have you tried Cinnamon Schnapps? Keeps you warm in all weather.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

Humm - I am a cold beer drinker. Works better in the summer than in winter in Florida.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #4

OK, I give! What brand of fiver?

My 9 year olf fiver is doing very well this winter. We have been down to around 15 with some east wind and while the furnace does run it has performed quite well.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #5

The 5er is a SunnyBrook Bristol Bay 3510. Bristol Bay is the top SunnyBrook model. It has a sticker 'All Season'. I am very disappointed in the amout of time the furnace runs to heat this darn thing.

This Bristol Bay is probably as good as most run of the mill 5ers but does not have dual pain windows. All the bottom corners of every slide is cold.

The way this thing is insulated has been my only complaint.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Throw rugs ?!? or skirting ?

How about some electric heaters all around ?

Ours has done fine so far, but we do have double pane and a fireplace...

since it's 'their' electricity, we supplement the furnace with the fireplace and two or three electric heaters...

and this helps with the cold water
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heated hose.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	53376  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

I am using two small electric heaters plus the electric fireplace. No skirting since I am in Florida.

It is still 40 degrees now but it is a cold 40. Must be the humid Florida air.

We stopped using the furnace and are trying to heat now with just electric. We can heat the bedroom with one small electric heater but the higher ceiling area needs both the fireplace and electric heat running continually to keep it now at 72 inside.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

Deleted.
Sorry. Wrong thread. ;-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Single pane windows will really give you a cold feeling. If it is going to be cold for a long time, get some of the window shrink film at Home Depot or Lowes and use that to help insulate the windows.

Otherwise, run the furnace. That's what it is for. While electrical heaters are fine, the don't move the air with as much force, and the air moving will get warm air into all of the nooks and crannies of the rig. You then can supplement with the electrical heaters, but a good run with the furnace will give you better comfort.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Just think about it this way. One electric heater and fireplace each is like 1\10 the furnace capacity and only heats a small area. The walls are kept cold.
My worst on furnace with fireplace on for LR extra heat is one 30lbs of propane in 3 days while temperature inside is 70. Daytime and 60 at night.
Don't forget your ceiling vent you loose most of you heat out those. Plug them off.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #11

Slides leak air. Put them in as much as possible. Also less CF of space to heat.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #12

I'm with you. I wonder if the million dollar rigs are really warm. I guess unless you are on the space station there is only so much you can do with a 1 inch wall. We are in the Rio Grande Valley and it is 40. Going back to the 80's tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #13

I am thinking the single pane slide windows and slides are where cold air is leaking in. I read that flush mount windows seal a lot better.

Lucky that cold spells only hit a few times per winter.

I kinda watch the temps is S. Arizona, S. Texas and C. Florida. Seems all 3 areas will on occasion have cold spells. S. Texas is the coldest.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #14

We were near Bismarck ND the end of April a couple of years ago for a wedding. The temp was about 30 degrees, snow showers and a NW wind at 30 mph. We were very comfortable in our rig. It doesn't have dual paine windows but is very well insulated. We augmented the furnace with an electric heater, as the electric was a flat rate. Our next rig will have dual-paine windows, though, as we will be living in it full-time.

Jim