Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Use of Portable Waste Holding Tanks.....

Most of the time we are going to use a CG with full hook ups, however there is one we plan to stay at which is a State DNR, nice park with a lake and all paved. The down side is it has only a sewer station which requires to drive your rig there or use a Portable Tank.

I have thought about the Portable Tanks to use before when camping at a park like this but always to just rely on dumping on departure. If we FT and decide to stay a little longer, moving rig is a pain.

Questions:
For those who have these, are they a PITB or as easy and clean as the Thedford video would lead you to believe?

One thing I did not find was and I hope you forgive my ignorance. But you hook this directly to your main line and all grey and black water goes in it and then monitor the indicator on the portable tank correct? You are bypassing your units holding tanks?

Parks are generally agreeable to allow this?
Thanks!! Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #2

Nothing is as easy as the video, but it is not hard. I would suggest that ONLY GRAY Water go into the portable unless you want a real mess.

wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Nothing is as easy as the video, but it is not hard. I would suggest that ONLY GRAY Water go into the portable unless you want a real mess.
Yes exactly!! Good point, Gray water only!! Black water holding tank can go probably fairly long time before it would need to be dumped anyway.

I can only think of a couple places we would stay that does not have sewer hook up and would require us to use this. Probably a good investment.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post

Questions:
For those who have these, are they a PITB or as easy and clean as the Thedford video would lead you to believe?

One thing I did not find was and I hope you forgive my ignorance. But you hook this directly to your main line and all grey and black water goes in it and then monitor the indicator on the portable tank correct? You are bypassing your units holding tanks?

Parks are generally agreeable to allow this?
Thanks!! Jim
Jim, the blueboys are easy to use and we boondock almost 90% of the year and have used these for years and have had no problem.

You will still want to use your holding tanks. How we used ours was to wait till your holding tanks are almost full, bring your blueboy over to the dump outlet, use a short hose from the outlet to your blueboy, begin filling and as the fill indicator pops up, shut off the flow to the blue boy. Take blueboy to dump area and dump. You may have to do this several times to empty your holding tanks depending on tank and blueboy size.

We used our blueboy for both black and grey water- waste is waste.

You may want to practice with clear water once or twice to make sure you have your shi---- I mean your act together at first in case of any "failure to perform as advertised" incidents.

If you are boondocking in the same place for an extended time, using the blue boy beats moving the trailer each time you need to dump.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #5

Howdy!

We us Barker blue tote 32 with the side waste gate. Also us a mascerator pump to fill the tank that way you control what goes in and you can also place the tank in the TV and pump up into it. Once at the dump station dump the tank using the waste gate and 3" hose. I have no problems dumping the black and gray tanks using a mascerator pump.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #6

I also use a mascerator but replaced my Blue Boy with a 55 gallon barrel laying on it's side and fitted with appropriate hose fittings.

I also found that a 24 volt mascerator is vastly superior to a 12 volt unit, but wiring is necessary and a DC to DC converter may be necessary.

Just My Way!

Ed
USN Ret.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #7

word of warning do not ever leave one behind. We had issues with a camper and kicked them out. They left 2 full ones behind a quick call to the DNR and they paid them a visit at their new campsite down the road a ways. 2 tanks cost nearly $2500 to get a hazmat crew to remove and the DNR gave them the bill. They had a chance to dump them but refused.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
When not in use, or when you are on the road where do you store it? I think I have seen them straped on the back end of 5rs. I am hoping it will fit fine in the truck box.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #9

Kro1957 - mine fits in the 8' truck bed in front of the hitch. It does take up a lot of room. Currently I lay it flat but have thought setting it on edge but gave not tried that yet.