Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #29

Brandon,
Given there are a lot of coaches available here, but Florida and Texas, and maybe Arizona, are the real "hot spots". I'd suggest you consider narrowing your focus as much as possible here, but when it's time to get real serious regarding just one or two possibilities, keep the potential for a "road trip" in the back of your mind....

And for Pete's sake, don't let one dollar leave your hand until you've seen the coach in person and had it checked out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Brandon,
Given there are a lot of coaches available here, but Florida and Texas, and maybe Arizona, are the real "hot spots". I'd suggest you consider narrowing your focus as much as possible here, but when it's time to get real serious regarding just one or two possibilities, keep the potential for a "road trip" in the back of your mind....

And for Pete's sake, don't let one dollar leave your hand until you've seen the coach in person and had it checked out.
Thanks ahicks. Are Florida, Texas, and Arizona hot spots because there are many MHs in good condition with good prices on them? The road trip idea has certainly crossed my mind and I'd entertain that option but I'd think it would be difficult to determine whether or not something was worth the trip just by speaking to someone and looking at pictures.

You mentioned having it checked out before buying. I'd like to do that, but where would I go to get it checked out and how can I trust whoever that is checking it? Craig (Gocoffeer) pointed me to the buyers checklist (in the file downloads area) which looks quite detailed and should come in handy.

You being from around here (SE MI), are there any particular RV dealerships you would recommend over the others? You can feel free to PM me that info if not comfortable posting in public. Thanks again!

Song (MP3 - 5.3mb): Wild Waters by Turah
blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #31

The hot spots are hot due to the fact there are a lot of coaches in use there. For that reason many are bought and sold there. Some of the dealers are HUGE. MUCH bigger than you can imagine. That's why I suggest you have a focus prior to entering one. Without focus you will almost certainly be overwhelmed quickly, and that's not something you want to happen when trying to judge/maximize bang for bucks!

Regarding specific dealers, I avoid them all? Don't get near them for anything but as a last resort. The worst? Those with national or even a multi-state presence. That's personal taste though. I would buy only from a private individual.

Those same dealers though, are useful to help you see what's available in the earlier stages of your search. Suggest you take pictures of stuff you like. Could be a floor plan, an option, whatever. After you've looked at more than 6 or 8 coaches, remembering even the color of the second one you looked at will be nearly impossible. They all start running together! Regarding the sales people, "truth check" anything they say that amounts to something of interest. Like something you may base part of your buying decision on? Many/most have never used a motor home. They'll be repeating what they "think" is the truth, and there is no accountability for anything they get wrong...

Regarding the inspection lists, a LOT of that you can do on your own. What you can't, or don't trust yourself to do, have that done by a 3rd party. DO NOT trust a dealer to check out a coach they're selling you. For starters, I can almost guarantee they'll have nobody on staff qualified to look at brakes, shocks, tires, radiators, etc. You need somebody that's used to working on trucks for that! As far as those businesses go here in MI. look for one able and willing to do a thorough safety inspection. Those are required on commercial truck annually by MDOT. A typical RV dealer won't even know what your talking about if you bring up an MDOT safety inspection....

Hope that helps, and geez, have fun with your search. Hopefully there's no hurry. There is a TON of stuff to sort through when you're just getting your feet wet.

-Al
Old 06-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #32

Great stuff Al, thanks very much. There's no big hurry at the moment, but as soon as the house sells (it may be a while), we will be in more of a hurry. The learning and search for something we would like to live in on the road is fun and exciting, but a bit overwhelming as well. Like you said, there's a TON of stuff to sort through. I'm reading and watching videos and have been immersed in rvtrader and craigslist.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #33

Here's another I used to haunt regularly. Pretty solid outfit with a good reputation. I like them too because they show floor plans. Hard to find anywhere else!
Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Every Diesel pusher for sale
Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #34

I'm not full-timing, but I went thru the same decision as you. I had a Jeep GC and wanted to get a TT. Quickly saw there was nothing that my jeep could tow that would satisfy my size desires for interior space. I ended up going with a 2003 30' Damon Daybreak. Was in very good condition, low mileage and close to your $15k. It was our first motorhome and I wasn't sure I would like the lifestyle. Looking back, I wish I'd have gone bigger and spent what it would take to go to 38-40 ft and diesel, but I'm still pretty happy with my purchase. May upgrade her in a couple of years, but I would have never been happy with anything I could have towed with the Jeep.
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Here's another I used to haunt regularly. Pretty solid outfit with a good reputation. I like them too because they show floor plans. Hard to find anywhere else!
Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes
Every Diesel pusher for sale
Thanks for those resources, Al. A floor plan should be included in all listings.

Yesterday DW and I went out exploring pre-owned Class As a bit. We looked at a couple at a local dealer and visited a private seller too. Both visits went well, but it was really nice to visit the private sellers. I let him know that we were just in the "looking" phase to gather ideas of what we wanted and he welcomed us out to their house anyway. They were a neat couple, very experienced and informative; they even took us for our first Class A MH ride. This particular Pace Arrow is really nice and priced within our budget (once we sell the house). We like the layout quite well and I feel like if the house sold tomorrow, I would be hard-pressed to continue looking (although I think it would be in our best interest to continue looking since we're so early in the search).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvaughn4 View Post
I'm not full-timing, but I went thru the same decision as you. I had a Jeep GC and wanted to get a TT. Quickly saw there was nothing that my jeep could tow that would satisfy my size desires for interior space. I ended up going with a 2003 30' Damon Daybreak. Was in very good condition, low mileage and close to your $15k. It was our first motorhome and I wasn't sure I would like the lifestyle. Looking back, I wish I'd have gone bigger and spent what it would take to go to 38-40 ft and diesel, but I'm still pretty happy with my purchase. May upgrade her in a couple of years, but I would have never been happy with anything I could have towed with the Jeep.
Thanks for the response Bill. Interesting that you were in the same position regarding the Jeep GC. What makes you wish you would have gone longer than 30ft and diesel?

Old 06-20-2014, 03:02 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMO going straight from sticks & bricks to a new to me Motor home would a stressful situation. If at all possible get the MH before the sale so you can have time to get aquainted with it. There will be storage issues, operational questions, and snafus to deal with. These things can be discouraging when you first start out.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #37

I agree, but then again, my "spirit" isn't quite free enough to handle full timing either? I can go out for 6-8 weeks, or maybe even a little longer, but I'm going to eventually get to the point where it's time to go "home". I'm way too comfortable there I guess. Hobbies, friends, just puttering in the shop, and maybe the security of having a roof over my head? Dunno. That's me though. -Al
Old 07-09-2014, 04:49 AM   #38

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4dsnow View Post
If you plan on doing a lot of driving then MH is best. If you are going to stay in a location for long periods of time then a TT or 5th wheel is best. There are several reasons for this thought process. First cost of equipment, insurance for a MH is much higher because your paying liability insurance for something that's not moving. Doesn't make much sense. Also cost of MH is going to generally be higher as well.
Well stated. I have had them all and the TT is MUCH less expensive to own, maintain, and live in. My 31' TT has as much or more room than my 36' DP had. PLUS, I have the bed of my truck, with camper shell for some light weight tubs with extra seasonal clothes etc. The insurance on a MH is for liability when on the road, and for the collision expense if hit. With the TT, your liability is covered by the TV.
But, that being said, if you plan to move every few days or every day, then travel in a MH is convenient.

Tags
class a