Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vehicle registration/inspection when away

My wife and I were discussing our workamper plans for next summer when the question of renewing our vehicle registration and inspection came up. Our permanent address is Texas but our workamper gig is in Colorado. We know we can renew the registration by mail, but our inspection stickers expire in August, and we will be gone until October or November. We would like feedback on how others handle this situation.
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I believe you have 30 days to renew your safety inspection stickers after you return to Texas. As long as you stay out of state, there shouldn't be a problem.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have it inspected before you leave. When you get done your sticker will still be good, and you'll only be out the cost of the inspection. You may be able to renew the whole rig within the same calendar year, but that would be a Texas question.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

No worry. I do this all the time in VA.

The best answer is when returning (and before crossing the TX line) make an appointment at your inspection place (tell them why) so in the very UNlikely event TX finest pulls you over you tell them you are coming back home after being on extended out of state and that you have an inspection appoint with so-and-so station and give the trooper their name and phone number and appointment date. Then get it inspected at your leisure.

I don't even go that far and have yet to be flagged.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
When you cross the border into Texas you have ~ 3 days to get the rig inspected. Otherwise, you don't need to worry about the inspection. We know people who have gone YEARS without setting foot in Texas, so no inspection has been done.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
When you cross the border into Texas you have ~ 3 days to get the rig inspected. Otherwise, you don't need to worry about the inspection. We know people who have gone YEARS without setting foot in Texas, so no inspection has been done.

Barb

yep, you have time when you come back to get it done...other states simply dont care if your state sticker is out of date, plates YES, insp sticker NO
and I live here and my inspection dropped dead last april......somehow i drove around till oct before i got it inspected???
i didnt forget it....i just never was in a position to go get it done, by traveling on weekends
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Barb
Yep, they must come up here because we see a bunch of cars/MH's running around with expired tags, especially OR and CA!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I believe you have 30 days to renew your safety inspection stickers after you return to Texas. As long as you stay out of state, there shouldn't be a problem.

Rusty
Similiar to NJ. I used to get a vehicle specific letter from DMV every two years. They must have got tired of that and finally sent me a generic cover all letter saying I was good to go as long as I got inspected upon return. I keep a copy in both vehicles with the current registration.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #9

You evidently have it better in Texas then we do in Colorado. Here we can't get the tag renewed without the emissions. We made a special trip last week back there to git-r-done.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptop View Post
You evidently have it better in Texas then we do in Colorado. Here we can't get the tag renewed without the emissions. We made a special trip last week back there to git-r-done.
For most areas of Texas it isn't an emissions test, just a safety (horn, lights, brakes, etc.) that is done. The emissions test are for metro areas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.) and most fulltimers in this state have Livingston as their home address.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
For most areas of Texas it isn't an emissions test, just a safety (horn, lights, brakes, etc.) that is done. The emissions test are for metro areas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.) and most fulltimers in this state have Livingston as their home address.

Barb
I got my last test in Houston last June, just before taking to the road. It was just a simple test, no emissions and a lot cheaper than my SUV.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptop View Post
I'm due in Colorado next May and not due to leave until October. In the meantime, my inspection will expire. Does anyone know what happens with Colorado laws in a case like this, where I'm from out of state and will be going home when our contract expires?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
It's not quite so simple. If the state you are in requires a valid inspection sticker and your Texas sticker is expired, you are not protected. See this: TxDPS - Out-of-State Motorists