Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Want a United States drivers license?

How many of you fulltime travelers wish you could get one of these? So far, they are issued only to foreign officials and diplomats
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Want a United States drivers license?

Why would I need one? My Texas license is honored in all 50 states, all territories of the US, in Canada, and afaik, in Mexico.

I've been issued an International Driver License a couple of times in the past. As I recall, it didn't attract any amorous women or get me any free meals, so I'm not quite sure what the value was!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At one time, though not all states had agreements in place, all states would honor your home state license. (I go back to about 1975 on this)

However in more recent years (Some time in the 1970's or 1980's) all fifty states, plus DC and Puerto Rico, entered into formal agreement to honor licenses from all the above.

What did/does, this mean
Before the agreement it was possible to have a Driver's license in two (or more) states, When you got stopped and ticketed you presented a valid license from a state that did NOT have an agreement with the state you were stopped in.. Thus the ticket never showed on your driving record.

Today.. It does.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
At one time, though not all states had agreements in place, all states would honor your home state license. (I go back to about 1975 on this)

However in more recent years (Some time in the 1970's or 1980's) all fifty states, plus DC and Puerto Rico, entered into formal agreement to honor licenses from all the above.

What did/does, this mean
Before the agreement it was possible to have a Driver's license in two (or more) states, When you got stopped and ticketed you presented a valid license from a state that did NOT have an agreement with the state you were stopped in.. Thus the ticket never showed on your driving record.

Today.. It does.
That's useful information!
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Nothing I would want. My NC drivers license gets me wherever I want to go.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Why would I need one? My Texas license is honored in all 50 states, all territories of the US, in Canada, and afaik, in Mexico. I've been issued an International Driver License a couple of times in the past. As I recall, it didn't attract any amorous women or get me any free meals, so I'm not quite sure what the value was!
John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
Maybe you don't need one but I would like one. I don't have a home state and my address is wherever I am parked tonight. They are a real thing and this is what they look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usdriverlicense.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	150557  
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #7

What I want is a national fishing license good in every state. It sucks having to buy a fishing license for each state while travelling. And I love to fish.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Maybe you don't need one but I would like one. I don't have a home state and my address is wherever I am parked tonight. They are a real thing and this is what they look like.

So what are the benefits this would give you?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
What I want is a national fishing license good in every state. It sucks having to buy a fishing license for each state while travelling. And I love to fish.

Jerry
And the other nationwide license (that we're not allowed to talk about here) would be nice.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I'm confused. How do you do that legally? Without a home state/domicile, how do you get voting privileges, insurance and other types of services that are regulated at the state level?

Maybe you were speaking metaphorically?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post

Jerry
Me too!
Old 01-31-2017, 10:47 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll keep my Virginia license. One less unsecured Federal database holding my personal data. Plus no telling how the regulations regarding vehicle size might be written. Might end up with the regulations as long haul drives with time limits and log books.
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm confused. How do you do that legally? Without a home state/domicile, how do you get voting privileges, insurance and other types of services that are regulated at the state level?

Maybe you were speaking metaphorically?

You don't vote unless you stay registered in a state, same with ins.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

No, You have a domicile- it is on your driver's license. If you don't want that state as your legal residence you need to change it.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver