Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
So none of the Regence BlueShield plans offer nationwide coverage?
This year, off the Exchange, they do....sorta. Here's what I mean by that. Earlier this year they made a change on their application whereby you had to state that you physically live in Washington 50% of the year. I had an RV-er client challenge this and won....but it's wasn't worth the hassle for future enrollments. He had to take extraordinary steps to prove he had a residence in Washington.

Indications are for next year is that Regence will withdraw from most counties, like King county in Seattle, and not participate in the nationwide blue card program, due to its added expense. Source is a conversation I had with the Blue Shield representative. Same thing is happening in Oregon with Regence Blue Cross but fortunately there remains other companies that will likely offer nationwide coverage....

It will all be nailed down by October. Right now the waters are murky and the pickins will be slim. Quite discouraging. I am not looking forward to the painful discussions I will have with many RV-er clients in November, when open enrollment begins.

Also painful… Congress could really fix this, if members would put their country ahead of their parties.
Greg Schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 01:56 AM   #16

We have lived in Woodland, Wa for 16 years until retiring February 2016. We sold our primary residence and rental and now use a PMB at the Letter Box in Woodland. Have our Toad and Rv registered in Washington using the PMB. No issues. Travel between Florida and Washington with 5 months in Florida and 7 months traveling. Our 40' rv tabs cost only $110 in Cowlitz County and Ford Fusion Hybrid only $60. Again no issues.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
We have lived in Woodland, Wa for 16 years until retiring February 2016. We sold our primary residence and rental and now use a PMB at the Letter Box in Woodland. Have our Toad and Rv registered in Washington using the PMB. No issues. Travel between Florida and Washington with 5 months in Florida and 7 months traveling. Our 40' rv tabs cost only $110 in Cowlitz County and Ford Fusion Hybrid only $60. Again no issues.
Hello neighbor. (Down the river from you in Kalama)

My Washington residency works a lot like yours...I'm only in the NW 4 months...but health insurance is a struggle, particularly nationwide coverage. Fortunately my wife maintain her residency and business in Oregon, allowing us to buy a nationwide plan this year and hopefully next year. If this were not the case, we'd be in trouble, due to ongoing care.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #18

We are at the Columbia Riverfront RV Park in space 27 until September 15th with our new to us 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. Putting our 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N up for sale once slides and leveled are repaired for the third time. We used to live up on Green Mountain until we went " full time" 16 months ago. We also spend 4 months in the NW to visit family and friends before returning to our beach house in Carrabelle, Florida. My DW and I joined the Medicare crowd last October and just had my 5 year Cat Scan after Bladder Cancer Surgery. Cancer free and enjoying the RV lifestyle.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #19

Quote:
So none of the Regence BlueShield plans offer nationwide coverage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
This year, off the Exchange, they do....sorta. Here's what I mean by that. Earlier this year they made a change on their application whereby you had to state that you physically live in Washington 50% of the year. I had an RV-er client challenge this and won....but it's wasn't worth the hassle for future enrollments. He had to take extraordinary steps to prove he had a residence in Washington.
If this same plan was available on the ACA, Regence couldn't do that, right?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks. We are not waiting until 65 - that's the point
I hear ya....That was my game plan too. Retired last May left for Alaska a week later.

I was in the same boat when I retired at 53 last May (2016). I planned to retire by age 55 when I was in my 20's. There was nothing from keeping me from retiring. But "most of" my co-workers are / have to continue working till at least age 65, most will wait to 70. Very sad...

I have group coverage ( thru my union) that covers both my wife and myself, but is approaching 50% of my monthly pension. Nobody here will know the future. I'm afraid to even open the envelope next month telling me how big the insurance increase will be for next year.

We have to live our lives. Who is going to tell the OP here, sorry buddy your going to have to work another 10 years and maybe then we'll "let you" have a little insurance once you hit Medicare age. There is just something fundamentally wrong with how the insurance industry views us punching bag. I think it's all about money & greed. Someone is making a whole lot of money.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #21

Quote:
If this same plan was available on the ACA, Regence couldn't do that, right?
That's my understanding. I don't think it's legal off the exchange, which is why they acquiesced when my client and I challenged them. But that's just one account..
Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #22

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
We are at the Columbia Riverfront RV Park in space 27 until September 15th with our new to us 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. Putting our 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N up for sale once slides and leveled are repaired for the third time. We used to live up on Green Mountain until we went " full time" 16 months ago. We also spend 4 months in the NW to visit family and friends before returning to our beach house in Carrabelle, Florida. My DW and I joined the Medicare crowd last October and just had my 5 year Cat Scan after Bladder Cancer Surgery. Cancer free and enjoying the RV lifestyle.
Glad to read this. I depart late August for a six week trip to Tucson, via Minn., in a foldable A-Frame TT, towed by my Jeep Wrangler. My TT has all the amenities except for one...no bathroom.

The world is my bathroom.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM   #23

As another Washington resident, I'm looking to leave state. Cost of living is WAY too high!!
Taxes are getting out of control!
I'm thinking of base out of South Dakota or thome other state without income tax.
I love Washington state, cost of living getting out of control!!!!
scrapperjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm a resident of Washington, and as a full timer, the cost of living is different everywhere I go. You can stay a resident if you can keep a street address, and be a fill timer in an RV. I have.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
Sorry to be jumping in this late. I maintain Washington residency and do business there as an health insurance broker.

There is only one off-Exchange PPO plan in Washington with nationwide coverage....sorta....and it's going away in 2018. There is nothing on the Exchange. A better state for nationwide coverage is Oregon, which has cheap RV registration and no sales tax. But.... it does have a pesky income tax.

With ACA likely to stay, a common strategy for my full time RV-er clients is to maintain a low income, supplement it with savings. This can maximize an ACA subsidy and keep the income tax exposure lower. YMMV

Hope this helps.

Hi Greg. This is Bruce and Debbie Bushell. The Florida plan you helped us with is great!!! Thanks. Maybe we will see you on the road!!!
Debbieb1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
We have to live our lives. Who is going to tell the OP here, sorry buddy your going to have to work another 10 years and maybe then we'll "let you" have a little insurance once you hit Medicare age.
OP was looking for advice, and I gave him some -- namely, wait until 65, Medicare age, or at least until the whole ACA (Obamacare) thing is settled.

Like you, OP has at least another 10 years before Medicare eligible. So that's a decade of buying your own health insurance. Expensive.

You said your union health plan is currently consuming 50% of your income. And you're just 1 year into retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
There is just something fundamentally wrong with how the insurance industry views us punching bag. I think it's all about money & greed. Someone is making a whole lot of money.
This is neither here nor there.

Maybe the Obamacare fiasco will prompt action on a real, affordable heath care fix. Maybe. Maybe not. But you have to act on actual information, not what you want to be true.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
I've got to get ready for work, but wanted to quick response to this thread so I can stay in the loop and find it later.

I actually could have written it. LOL I have lived in WA for 20 years, my husband born and raised here. I am going to retire in about 3 years at 62 when I get 20 yrs with state service. He is about 10 years younger than me.

I do not want to wait until I am 65, I will have a small pension from NYS and my pension form WA State. We will be living full time in the Anacortes area with a real address, renting land.

There are pros and cons, but I am watching this insurance crap like a hawk it concerns me as I have excellent healthcare now. Great to connect with people thinking like I do and close to home.

We are in the process of closing on our home and will be living full time in a 40ft 5th wheel.