Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #1

Well ...Maybe it is time to FT!

Greetings Guys, Just discovered this site. Seems like it is a lot of awesome information. Having said that hopefully maybe somebody out there maybe in a same position I am in. To give good advice.

I have never "RV'd" before so this is going straight from zeroie status to going all the way for the "gusto". So I have no inkling of what to expect. I am about 10 years shy of full retirement age. Having had some major cancer surgery, wife and I are talking about the "adventure". Life is too short to not enjoy it.

One of my wifes biggest concerns is that we would be spending too much time together. That we would be getting bored with each other. I don't think so. but h ten again...

Got the dually, just need to get the 5th wheel. Mighty obliged for any help. CHeers
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

If you're going to be full timing you're sure to have free time in small quarters. If you and the wife have different interests try spending more time doing them.
I've always operated under the principle that life has no rewind button. Do it while you can!

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a sign in our side window that says:

"We get along great in our RV. There's no room to disagree."
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:18 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
Love the sign
ledenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:01 AM   #6

Wife and I just crossed over the 1 yr mark since I retired. Was also worried about that same thing. You do need to both agree that pursuing your interests individually is OK. Finding time together obviously won't be hard to come by, but you have to make it quality time.

I'm a bit OCD, and so keeping things tidy and organized is sorta second nature. I also need to stay busy, the wife is more laid back. She's OK with me doing my own thing as long as she knows so she doesn't worry when she can't locate me. Understanding each other's needs will help immensely.

We are taking off this fall for 4 months down south and if we like it, it might be longer. You might try easing into it also.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the club!

I was in your position just about six years ago. While in Alabama visiting friends, wife said "Lets go in this Dealer and look around". Left that day with a contract and, three days later, left with a 30' trailer. Just over a year later, decided we just HAD to have more basement storage and graduated to the 40' diesel pusher. Other than the depreciation suffered on the short ownership of the trailer, no regrets. The moral of the story is to try to buy your third rig... first, as they say.

As you have just found this Forum, you have just discovered there is a wealth of information available. Whomever is taking care of your rig will be well-advised to read these Forums completely, to start with, to build your knowledge base and continuously to learn more. These are complicated systems and your understanding of not only the systems but, also, the tips and tricks of users will be a gold mine for your success and happiness. The rig is a big purchase and, if you think of taking care of it as more of a hobby than a chore, you'll succeed. If it's a chore for you and all you want to do is have it work, you'll be spending lots more money to pay someone else to fix your mistakes and other problems. Truly, the best approach is to treat it as a hobby and have fun with it.

Again, welcome to the club!
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 AM   #8

If possible, you my want to rent an rv first. While not the same as having your own, it may give you both an idea of whether you enjoy the lifestyle. It may also inform your shopping decisions if you do buy one.

Another poster here suggests buying your third rv first. I like the concept, but could not figure out how to do it. When we decided to full time, we had little experience or knowledge, having only rented a class c a few years prior. We thought (correctly as it turned out) that we would enjoy the rv lifestyle, but we were not certain of that. We thought we would be happiest in a Class A. While we knew little while shopping for our first rv, we knew if we stayed in the game the hypothetical third rv would be new or nearly new and expensive. I did now want to make a mistake buying an expensive rv with such limited knowledge not did I want to make newbie mistakes on an expensive rv. So, we went the other way...we consciously bought our beginner rv first. Eleven years old with a good floor plan on the smaller side of what we felt we needed for full time living. We still are happy with it 15 months on. We have learned a great deal while in this rv. We might sell it and move to a newer one. If we do, we will still be in good stead; in thie time we have been fulltiming, an expensive new rv would have depreciated more than this relatively inexpensive older one cost. So more Greta if we do move to another, for now we are happy in our 2005.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #9
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We have a sign in our side window that says:

"We get along great in our RV. There's no room to disagree."
So true. Love it.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #10
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on kicking cancers butt. I've also had the major surgery and going through treatments now. We had planned on being FT now, but my health has delayed our plans for a few months.

We are Life long campers so we know all of the basics already and love it. After 46 years together we have figured out how to live together without killing each other. I have many hobbies not shared by my husband. The trick is to balance my time with him and doing my own thing. He likes that I have theses hobbies, which helps. Living in close quarters can be very trying for some couples. The thing is you also have lots of outdoor space too.

We did a lot of research into different options on what home would work best for us. We looked into trailers, fifth-wheels, and finally decided on a motorhome. We bought used and absolutely love what we have. But, saying that, everyone's perfect home is as varied as is their sticks and bricks home. Do your research. This forum is filled with information and options. Take the good, throw out the bad, and learn all you can before spending your life savings. If this is what you want to do, do it! As we have experienced, life is short. Live it while you can. See the sites. Enjoy yourself and each other. Good luck on whatever you and your wife decide.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect 5er for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #12

We agreed to go and try the full timing thing for 6 months and then evaluate where we were at and if we could co-exist in a very small space. Definitely left the door open to return to our previous life style.

Well after 6 months we were still nicely coupled and had a lot of new friends and wonderful adventures. So, we made this nomadic lifestyle permanent, at least as long as we stay healthy, and haven't regretted it one bit.

Life....it's not a dress rehearsal. Just do it as they say.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Full Timer Blogs

Hi -

We have made the decision to full-time. We've been campers our whole lives, so we are familiar with the process - but living full-time in our RV will be a new experience. Our new 5er is on order and we have the truck purchased.

I found it very educational to read several of the full-timer blogs that are out there. In particular I like RV-Dreams, Camper Chronicles, Nina and Paul's blog (can't remember the name right now), RV Adventures, and there are a few others. If you haven't seen it already, you might want to visit HitchItch.com as there are several full-timer blogs that are updated regularly. I think some of the blogs are really good at giving a description of what life in an RV full time is all about (the good and the not-so-good).

Another thought would be to attend a rally and talk to some of the folks that are currently full-timing.

Good luck with your decision.

JennieB
JennieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #14

Thanks for all the great information. We are looking forward to the adventure as it goes.

One of the biggest decisions is there is almost no turning back. I am 56 and we sell all and go. Seems that this is common amongst the troops to do that. there are other logistics to consider, where does the mail get routed, and most importantly health insurance.

Gonna get a toy hauler so we can take our bikes with us. Got the dually so that we have mobile transport. As longa s my wife and I are on par, we are good.
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote