Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
corelle for when you want REAL plates
paper plate holders and nice plastic drinking glasses, real glass ones to but not near as many as in the house

buy the anti slide stuff in rolls at wally world and cut them to fit between the plates, never buy precut 3x the cost.

boys small socks to cover the glasses so they dont rattle

small tool kit, use as many mulit purpose items as you can, but some wrenches are just plain big.
and everything else already mentioned.

start small and then sit and plan where things go and then look again the next day and re-arrange again to maximize space or layout.

Absolutely purchasing Corelle for inside use. We used it on our boat with no problems. Did not even have to put cushions between plates. Will be using mostly plastic glasses. That is what we use mostly, now. We have a pool and it is easy to bring them outside. We are wine drinkers, so will likely bring a few nice wine glasses. The sock idea is awesome. Would not have thought of that. Just found some great plastic storage/mixing bowls with lids that are dishwasher safe. Will be much lighter weight than my current Pyrex bowls. Looking at portable grills. Thinking we will start with a table top. I believe I was looking at a cuisinart. You can add a stand to it, at a later date, if desired. I welcome suggestions on grills, but do not want anything that attaches to the 5ver. We are also looking at collapsible/portable chairs for outside. We are not small folks and would like something very sturdy. I have noticed that most of them are quite low to the ground. Hoping to find something that is at least 24" or more above the ground. I am so very thankful for all of the input. Please let me know if I should start a new specific thread for some of these questions.
Suzybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Love the socks idea! I'll bet it works on the wine bottles as well.

We also have the nesting pans. Word of caution - they are heavy, so you need somewhere to store them where they are not a risk to get them (I'm 5' tall, so the overheads would be a problem). We also found that the dinette drawers would not stay shut with that kind of weight.

We love:

Our induction burner
The folding ladder
Anti-Gravity chairs
nesting plastic bowls with interchangeable covers (we have rubbermaid)
Plastic storage trays for the fridge (ours have a handle that fits on our telescoping bars) to keep things from shifting around during travel
adjustable water pressure regulator. The non adjustable one kept the pressure way too low.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #17

I haven't seen anyone answer your question about toilet paper. Any septic safe paper will do. Many use Costco for TP.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzybro View Post
I welcome suggestions on grills, but do not want anything that attaches to the 5ver.
Well again, as I said in post 5 our Weber grill is a MUST have. I know some people like to use charcoal, wood and all the rest, be we're FTing and don't want to carry all that stuff.

This Weber grill is by far the BEST grill I've ever owned. I continually tell my wife how much I love this thing. And I've owned a lot of fancy grills in my life. Pull it out of the storage bay, set on table, hook up to onboard butane tank, lights first time, heats fast, great heat control, easy to clean, stores well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I haven't seen anyone answer your question about toilet paper. Any septic safe paper will do. Many use Costco for TP.

Thank you!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Well again, as I said in post 5 our Weber grill is a MUST have. I know some people like to use charcoal, wood and all the rest, be we're FTing and don't want to carry all that stuff.

This Weber grill is by far the BEST grill I've ever owned. I continually tell my wife how much I love this thing. And I've owned a lot of fancy grills in my life. Pull it out of the storage bay, set on table, hook up to onboard butane tank, lights first time, heats fast, great heat control, easy to clean, stores well.

Thanks for the link to the grill. Looks great.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #21

My favorite bits are kitchen ones.

Zyliss Easy Pull hand powered food processor. Tiny, and it rocks. I've made salsa at least once every week or two for 10 months and still works brilliantly. If I moved back into a house I'd still use it over an electric one, much more control, much less likely to crap out than electric ones.

I also got Corelle dishes, much lighter and more compact than big heavy stuff.

I've gotten quite a few of the silicone place mats/pastry sheets. Set them on the counter or table and anything you put on them will always stay put.

Roll up drying rack too, brilliant space saver and you can set hot pans on it too.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a couple dozen cloth napkins, dish towels and dish cloths. It allows me to boondock for several weeks without needing to do laundry, and spares are good for padding dishes and pans while traveling.
dphaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #22

My Bank of America Alaska Mileage Program Visa Card. That little baby can get me out of any jam or allow me to live my life the way I want to.
I pay it off every month.
The other must have is a flower shop not to far away so I can give my wife flowers, usually about twice a month. Surprising how if she is happy then I'm happy. My dear old Dad told me something about that when we were married 50 years ago. Must be working!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #23

I picked up some camping barrel chairs from tractor supply on sale $29 and love them. Great for wide loads and they don't squeeze your knees together. Then picked up inflatable ottomans. They are heavy, we have others to take hiking.

As far as must haves? Flashlight Portable ice maker. Folding stool. I cant reach anything. Lol Duct tape. Used that at the first fill up to keep the gas door from flapping. OBD scanner with the ability to reset codes. Used that 200 miles after purchasing. Also lets you monitor things like trans temp and stuff.

Battery tender or similar if in a class A. We have a 6a charger too just in case. Air compressor or tire inflator. AC Plug tester. Surge suppressor and or AC voltage monitor. Outdoor extension cord.

Paper road atlas. Saved our butt. We have an RV Gps now but you never know what can happen. Roadside assistance program. Dot certified safety triangles. IR temp gun particularly for checking hubs on trailers and moisture meter for tracking down random leaks. Bottle of Clorox and flexible funnel to disenfect water tank. Disposable rubber gloves.

Rain jacket and muck shoes/boots. Nothing like dumping tanks or fixing something in a heavy storm.

Vinyl shower curtain from dollar store. We have rain every time we camp. Used some cut up to put on picnic benches to keep our britches dry. Door mats from dollar store. Use and toss when full of mud.

Small notebook to note mileage etc. tape measure scissors. First aid stuff including big bottle of saline for rinsing eyes and wounds, tick remover and ace bandages. Ive fallen down the steps a few times. Right now dealing with busted up foot because of it.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

Add to it one of those non-stick sheets and the grill stays really clean. We cook on ours a lot and it looks brand new. The sheets are at Wally World for bout $5. One has lasted us all summer.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #25

One of my favorite things is my Black and Decker Gyro electric screwdriver. You just twist your wrist to the left, and it goes counter clockwise. Twist to the right, and it goes the other way. Twist just a little, and it goes slow. Twist a little more, and it goes faster. It works in any orientation. And it has a little built in flashlight that shines on the tip of the driver.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We're basically "3/4 timers" ... travel 8-9 months out of the year ... visit the home we still own the 3-4. It took us roughly a year to get our coach outfitted to where we were happy with it. Now that it's there - I can't look back and point to any 2-3 products that I would consider "must have" in the dramatic sense. You gotta have a kitchen setup that works for you ... there's no silver bullet for success ... you just gotta use it a little and figure out what you need. You need a wardrobe that fits your needs - and fits the storage space you can allot for it. Again, there's no silver bullet for success in terms of wardrobe - you just gotta tweak things until you're happy with it. You need to figure out how your going to handle your mail, your bills, communications, etc. - there are many possible approaches - you just gotta figure out what works for you.

We learned a few things while we were getting our rig "dialed in". First, there are no silver bullets (and you'll go broke chasing 'em if you thing there are).

Second, make peace with the reality that it's highly unlikely that you're going to radically change how you sleep, cook and/or eat. If a given appliance hasn't been part of your cooking arsenal in the past - it's highly unlikely that it's going to become a critical component of your core approach to cooking.

Lastly, recognize that you don't need to have everything "perfect" as you're starting out. You'll drive yourself crazy trying and then realize that even once you think you're there - you'll still be making changes. Take your time, pull thing together based on your best guess ... and adjust as necessary.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #27

Second the Weber grill. Best I've ever used. Been using septic safe TP for years no problems
lucesfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
One of my favorite things is my Black and Decker Gyro electric screwdriver. You just twist your wrist to the left, and it goes counter clockwise. Twist to the right, and it goes the other way. Twist just a little, and it goes slow. Twist a little more, and it goes faster. It works in any orientation. And it has a little built in flashlight that shines on the tip of the driver.
I have two of these things. Love them. Afraid they have stopped making them though.