Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #1

What cargo capacity does your full-timing 5th wheel have?

We're shopping around for a 5th wheel to FT in. We are 8-10 months away from making it a reality. We are a family of 4 (parent and two sons) plus our cat. My husband is a software engineer and would telecommute, so we would have a couple of laptops and possibly a CPU tower.

What CC does your full-timing 5th wheel have, and how many people does it accomodate?

Most of the 5th wheels in our preferred length range (36-40 feet) have a CC less than 3,000 pounds, but I'm wondering if we could safely FT with this CC or should we continue to seek out something with a CC more than 3,000 pounds.

For instance, we love this model: . It has space for a washer and dryer, but we would convert that area into a work space for my husband. However, the CC is only 2,700. Bearing in mind the weight of a washer/dryer and the fact this rig is intended to sleep up to 8 (and the obvious food, water, tools, toys...) I'd like to assume Prime Time kept this in mind and this 5W would be liveable for a working family of four. Is this a safe assumption?

We're not new RVers. We'll just be new full-timers. We've been RVing for almost 5 years, 2 years in a hybrid TT and almost than 2 years in our slideless TT (we lived in it for almost a month a few months ago). The 5W will be an upgrade for us (sell the house, then trade in our current truck and TT). So scaling back on cargo isn't an issue for us.

Thank you in advance!
abi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #2

What model and size of the Prime Time 5th wheel are you looking at?

In my opinion, 2700 lb. is not enough for a full-timing family of 4.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

For some reason the link for the rig I mentioned is now gone...

The 5W I referenced is the Crusader 370BHQ.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #4

Here's the link: Crusader Fifth Wheels by Prime Time Manufacturing

Just a quick once-over on the specs I see it only has one air conditioner as standard. You would definitely need two for this size RV.

It's a big 5th wheel for only having 2 axles and 16" tires. You are going to need a big truck.

It has 5 slides. One slide houses the refrigerator and folks have had overheating issues with a refrig in a slide.

The washer/dryer is a prep. It's not included.

I'd also advise adding dual pane windows.

Carrying capacity is not big for 4 people full-timing.

I think I'd check out some others for comparisons. Hopefully, someone who has one will chime in. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

2 adults...

CCC is 4157#

5vr GVWR is 14,375#

We scaled at 13,873# with full fresh water tank, both 30# propane cylinders full, 128 gallons of grey & black and all of our stuff. (heaviest we weighed)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

twogypsies, that's what I was worried about. It's seemed heavy for only 2 axles. We have a buddy with a 40ft TH 5W and it's a triple. I've also heard folks have a lot of problems with the fridge in the slide, but I thought it was more of a weight issue and problems with lines and wires kinking. I never considered overheating. Thank you so much for your input.

Old-Biscuit, what model is your rig? That's an awesome CCC and definitely closer to what we'd prefer. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #7

Our 5th wheel is a 2007 NUWA HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG with 7K axle upgrade

GVWR is 14,375#
Dry is 10,218#
Subtract freshwater and propane leaves 3435# for stuff

NUWA stopped building units in 2013?
They do handle Used and sell other new

NuWa Industries, Inc.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
paz

abi2001,

Our DRV Tradition has a CCC of a little over 3,400 lb. We got the rig last year and weighed it after we got everything transferred from our old motorhome. We're using just about ALL the available CCC, and there are just 2 of us.

You may have to go to a higher-end rig to find enough CCC. I don't know what your budget is, but that may mean looking at something a couple of years older.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cargo capacity, full time toy hauler