RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #1

What did you keep after home sale.

Sort of a sister thread to the " how did you sell everthing" thread. I would be curious
How and why you decided to keep what you did. And logistically figure out what of all your kept stuff you could fit in the motorhome.

varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #2

My plan is to keep watches, subset of tools, coffee maker, other kitchen stuff, some clothes and the wife. After that if it doesn't fit it's gone.

Filthy-Beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #3

I haven't sold my home yet as I am still a couple years from full timing. I was planning on keeping knickknacks. When my parents pass away I will get the Waterford crustal figures I had bought my mom. Also the necklaces, brooches, pins. So jewelry and knickknacks. I just bought new tools with a cool box to put them in. Plan on keeping most of my Dewalt tools that might still serve a purpose. My offroad scooter to get around in the desert (will fit in basement easily). My pokemon cards, and some baseball cards. Not 100% sure on those though. I might keep my most expensive baseball cards. Not 100% sure about pokemon since there really won't be many retired people playing this lol.

My guns.. Definitely my guns. I might have to downsize by a couple but I wanted to keep at least 3 handguns, and 3 rifles. Computers.. Downsizing to one desktop and replacing one desktop with a laptop. But I am probably the wrong person to ask since I have not gone full time yet.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #4

We had ordered and taken delivery of the new truck & 5th wheel and they were parked next to the S&B
We loaded up with those items we knew we needed (basic---pot/pans, clothing etc)
Then what we 'thought we needed.'
Then what we 'wanted' too keep (keep sakes, special items etc)
Estate Sale...everything gone (No storage)

6 months after hitting the road we re-evaluated
'Needed'...........only need One of each not multiples so any extras went to charity
'thought we needed'.......hadn't used it in 6 months/not needed
'wanted to keep' ---kept those

1 yr aniversary....went thru everything again
'needed'/'thought we needed'---again if not used in pass 6 months it is not needed----gone

WHY haul anything around IF it is not being used!

After that I could open ANY compartment and SEE what was in it W/O having to dig for it
Every yearly aniversary we would get RIG weighed and check if anything was not needed

Motto "Less is More"

1 bag IN--2 bags OUT
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From above
"Motto "Less is More"

1 bag IN--2 bags OUT"

Should be true for laws, at least for a while.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I kept too much. Slowly winnowing that down. Need to keep at it.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Cleaned out one bedroom completely. Then used that to place items for the motorhome that we currently weren't using, ie winter clothes we were taking. Then looked at the kitchen and decided what is necessary and what wasn't. Since we already had a Class C for weekends/short vacations, we had a pretty good idea of what we would need. Then we gradually moved things that we didn't need for the 2 months before we left into our Class A (tools for instance). We had already downsized because we sold the house a year earlier so we did it in 2 steps. Unloaded work clothes at the end of each season - trips and trips with suits/sport coats/formal dresses to Goodwill as we would never, ever, need them again.

All other stuff (furniture, etc.) went to my daughter to do with as she wished - sort of her inheritance before we die. She sold most off, kept some to use, traded some with her mother-in-law for things they needed, etc. Also put some items (lawn care/yard furniture, crystal, china) up for sale on the employee digital bulletin board at work.

13 years later we are STILL getting rid of stuff that we took along that we really haven't needed. Some of it is in place that it doesn't bother anything and it is just left there because "you never know", which means we are too lazy to crawl around and get it out of the bays or spend time sorting underneath the couch.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:11 PM   #8

Make a note as to what you regularly use during a month's time... kitchen, office stuff, bath, bedroom, clothes. Add some tools (all of ours fit in a 24" canvas bag).

Add your hobby stuff, recreation (hiking, fishing, biking, etc.) with gear & clothes.

We took one dress outfit and dress shoes.... never used them. I think most people start out with way too many clothes and shoes. You can wear the same things over & over as you're constantly moving so no one realizes it. We didn't 'store' any clothes in the RV basement or under the bed like some folks do. What didn't fit in the closet and drawers didn't get taken. After traveling a while if we'd want to buy a new article, one had to be taken to Goodwill. You don't keep adding.

We layered clothes so one thing can serve a dual purpose. We didn't need a winter coat when doing this. Our wardrobe was basically jeans, shorts, t-shirts, hiking boots, tennis shoes and sandals.

We weren't collectors of anything so didn't have to deal with disposing of them.

Pantry was stocked as it was in a house. We cooked as usual but mainly grilled.

We took a nice assortment of kitchenware - didn't skimp.

Took a toaster, combo crockpot/oven, coffee pot (electric & stovetop for boondocking)

We did pretty well initially.... at least we didn't forget anything. However, as we traveled we always seemed to have something to dispose of because we didn't use it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I would be curious
How and why you decided to keep what you did. And logistically figure out what of all your kept stuff you could fit in the motorhome.
Weight (our GVWR) and available space were our guides. We started off by weighing our coach with full propane, fuel, 1/3 tank of water, wife & I inside. That told us how much CCC we had. We have a lot of CCC (4,200lbs) We initially packed more than we really needed and was still 800lbs under our GVWR. After the first year, we went thru the entire MH and shed a lot of stuff that we just never used. Took it to a Christian Ministry got a receipt for a tax deduction. A lot of it was still brand new with tags on it. Going on the 2nd year and we just did the same thing again a couple of weeks ago.

We are now down to a nice comfortable amount of everything. One thing you learn real quick is everything has to have it's place, be well organized and easy to get to. That really makes living on the road a whole lot more enjoyable. I hate having to hunt for anything. But it does take at least a year maybe two to get to that point and figure it all out between the two of us.

As others have said, when you go buy something new, something has to go. No accumulating that most of us were used to doing when living in a SB.

I love all the money we save now from aimlessly shopping for stuff. Like on BLACK FRIDAY. We don't need anything and don't have room for anything more.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where we lived, I could put the RV in the drive and no crazy neighbors to complain. We lived in the RV for about 3 weeks while we moved in and moved out of the house. This gave us the opportunity to see what we needed and did not need.

We had two garage/estate sales, one on a Friday-Saturday and the next week on a Saturday-Sunday. We donated a lot of the left over stuff.

We had rented a 5 ft x 5 ft climate controlled building and put keep-sakes, mementos, records, a few tools and a couple of antiques.

You find out that all that stuff owns you, you do not really own it. If is so nice to be rid of all of the stuff.

Ken
Old 12-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #11

This is great info. Thx all for contributing.
We are now in the process of shedding stuff. We plan on selling the house this spring. We have a 32 ft tt that we camp
Hosted in this summer past. We loved
Doing this. We were 30mi from yellowstone.
My dilemma is we wont be able to buy the
Mh until the house sells. So loading it up
And selling everything else isnt an option
The plan will be to load the tt and truck
And put stuf in storage.im saving listings
Of motorhomes on line. There are none
Here locally. I'm not sure if this is the best
Way to do this
But I dont want a payment or interest.
We have 2 basset hounds that will be joining us on this journey as well.
We may just end up moving locally to a campground whilst acquiring the mh.
I'll admit this part logistically has me
Perplexed a bit.. this transitioning if you will.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #12

I know this sounds dumb, but I planned on keeping a cane that I made from a tree branch on my parents property. It's not straight, but I have had it since I was 15 years old. I even stuck a cane bottom on it. Those rubber things. My grandfather would use it when over at the house. I plan on 100% definitely keeping that. It has a pointy part at the end of the cane handle. So yah, I was 15 when making it so I originally made it a weapon until I realized it could be used as a cane lol.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
This is great info. Thx all for contributing.
We are now in the process of shedding stuff. We plan on selling the house this spring. We have a 32 ft tt that we camp
Hosted in this summer past. We loved
Doing this. We were 30mi from yellowstone.
My dilemma is we wont be able to buy the
Mh until the house sells. So loading it up
And selling everything else isnt an option
The plan will be to load the tt and truck
And put stuf in storage.im saving listings
Of motorhomes on line. There are none
Here locally. I'm not sure if this is the best
Way to do this
But I dont want a payment or interest.
We have 2 basset hounds that will be joining us on this journey as well.
We may just end up moving locally to a campground whilst acquiring the mh.
I'll admit this part logistically has me
Perplexed a bit.. this transitioning if you will.
You know, you don't have to be physically there while waiting for the house to sell. Everything can be dealt with by faxing papers with your realtor. Go somewhere pleasant while you're waiting and you can leisurely look for the motorhome while you're at it. You can easily full-time and travel in a 32' that you have now. You've done it while hosting so you know you can. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You know, you don't have to be physically there while waiting for the house to sell. Everything can be dealt with by faxing papers with your realtor. Go somewhere pleasant while you're waiting and you can leisurely look for the motorhome while you're at it. You can easily full-time and travel in a 32' that you have now. You've done it while hosting so you know you can. Good luck!
I've thought of this.. the house is quite old
And I'm a bit locked into spending the
winters here until it sells. We just have
Too many winter storms that kill the power
For how ever long. I then use our
Portable genset from the camper to run
The pellet stove and fridge. I would be uneasy leaving here in the winter.
I suppose we could rent it..with the stipulation that it's on the mkt.

Tags
sale