Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #15

We will be spending Thanksgiving day by the beach this year, and will go to a nice restaurant for dinner.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For years we spent Thanksgiving with my wifes' folks and two sisters. My wife and one sister did all of the cooking - she had put in a an RV site for us.

When the sister that helped with the cooking passed away we decided to head for AZ before Thanksgiving partly because we often had to wait for a weather window and my wife has health issues that make it difficult to make a full blown meal with everyone's favorite dishes with no help.

This year we will have Thanksgiving here in AZ by ourselves with a simple meal of turkey, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes and a vegetable. I cook the turkey and use a saber saw to cut it in half lengthways so it can be laid down in the pan so it will fit in our small oven.

Christmas we will spend with the friends we have spent it with for nine years. They have the site next to ours here in Bouse AZ and will be here on Dec 1st.
The cooking is shared - I still do the turkey but their tradition is ham so they fix that.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
This Thanksgiving we'll be celebrating with anyone still here (Lake Greenwood, South Carolina). Right now I think we have 25 people planning to participate. One is cooking/bringing two turkeys, the rest of us are all bringing a dish, or two, to pass.

Last Christmas I was on my own in Florida. We'd sold the house unexpectedly fast but my wife still had 8 - 9 months to work before retirement. We rented a small efficiency for her near her office and me and the dogs headed south in the motor home when the weather got too cold to stay in WI. We ended up in an RV park near Orlando for Christmas. The couple across the road from my site noted that I was alone and invited me in to share their Christmas dinner. My wife spent Christmas day with friends back home.

We'll be together this year, and in the same park where I spent last Christmas. I have no doubt we'll find friends, new and old, to share with. RVers tend to be friendly, outgoing and with big hearts.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
We have a single neighbor with whom we will share Turkey Day. Anyone else will be welcome as long as the food lasts.

Christmas...don't know yet.
We will put up some lights outdoors. Maybe decorate a mesquite (scrub) tree.

With no family nearby it's hard to get real excited about holidays.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on many things.. Right now the park I'm in the staff have the day off. But the MEMBERS put together a get-to (Pot Luck) with 2 turkeys (only needed part of one) A wide assortment of sides and something close to 20 pies (There were not but about 20 people showed up) I will admit sixteen of those pies were single serving (Darn good too).

Last year I spent the holidays (Halloween through New years) six miles from my Daughter so we got together often.. Singing as we do in the same church choir,, Only where she has 4 she has sung in I'm up to 7 I've sung with. 2 of them shared.. One of hers is a paid choir too.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

One of our first holidays on the road was Thanksgiving. We were spending a couple of weeks at Buckhorn Lake Resort - Kerrville, Texas . They had the most incredible, sit down Thanksgiving dinner for at least 300 people. It was great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03064.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	29461  

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We will Fulltirme next year. I have a cousin in Scottsdale that is looking forward to us doing Thanksgiving. For Christmas every year we have decided to fly back home. We have 4 children, 10 grandchildren, 2 parents 6 siblings and their families in Cleveland. It's a long drive back to Cleveland from Arizona, but we will drive the toad, and stay a couple weeks. It's hard to not be with a family that big during the holidays.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're volunteering at a National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico for the winter. There are 24 of us in the Volunteer Village campground, which has a very nice lounge and kitchen. We all got together today and had turkey with all the fixin's.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #23

Merry Christmas to all, wherever you may be!