Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What do you like most about full timing

We have been reading blogs of people who have been full timing and we are wondering what do you like most about it? Is it the freedom with little or no responsibility, is it everyday is a new adventure, is it the different people you meet along the way. Do you ever get bored? Was it hard to get use to?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

Three and a half years as fulltimers, we spend most of our time volunteering first year as camp hosts, Illinois, Florida and South Carolina which was fun and allowed us to adjust to the lifestyle. The last 2 1/2 years we've volunteered at USF&W refuges which has been a learning experience as we have been Interpretive Hosts and requires absorbing quite a bit of information about the flora and fauna, the geology and history of the area. Keeps the old brain cells working.
We've also made friends along the way. Some locals, some fellow volunteers that we stay in touch with via cell, emails, facebook and have met up with several again when our traveling paths cross.
I guess our great enjoyment is in the adventure of a new place, people, and experiences that we would otherwise never have sitting in the S&B's. DW is always excited and yet sad when were leaving one volunteering position and heading for another, saying goodbye is difficult but part of the lifestyle.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole007 View Post
We have been reading blogs of people who have been full timing and we are wondering what do you like most about it? Is it the freedom with little or no responsibility, is it everyday is a new adventure, is it the different people you meet along the way. Do you ever get bored? Was it hard to get use to?
Hello Larry,

It is really hard to answer your question, it is all of the above and more. As far as getting bored, why would you get bored if you are someplace you have never been before? if the weather is perfect, if you are following the sun, if you are enjoying all that you have set out to do how can you get bored? sure there are going to be some days where you might not be doing anything and then there will be days that are so packed full you wont believe how much you got done or saw. Remember your rig will always need maintenance, and little jobs to be done, but your days are what you make them as full or sparse as you choose. And the people you meet and the friends you make are all icing on the cake. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole007 View Post
Answers: all yes except the last 2.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

This has been asked before in a different way. Someone asked the ten best and worst things about full timing. I went back and cut and pasted my response to that post.

1. seeing new places and things
2. lack of a schedule
3. the enjoyment of searching out new places
4. the people you meet on the road
5. the ability to pursue my photography hobby
6. spending time with my wife (seriously)
7. the envious looks when we tell people of our life style
8. the choices we can make
9. the little things, like small town museums and old buildings
10. the big things, like looking down from a mountain and seeing 150 miles

the bad
1. price of fuel
2. bad neighbors parked next to you
3. flat tires
4. a head wind
5. being old
6. parks with no internet
7. repairs
8. seeing how badly parts of this great nation are doing
9. litter on the roads
10. not seeing our 30 year old babies
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
This has been asked before in a different way. Someone asked the ten best and worst things about full timing. I went back and cut and pasted my response to that post. 1. seeing new places and things 2. lack of a schedule 3. the enjoyment of searching out new places 4. the people you meet on the road 5. the ability to pursue my photography hobby 6. spending time with my wife (seriously) 7. the envious looks when we tell people of our life style 8. the choices we can make 9. the little things, like small town museums and old buildings 10. the big things, like looking down from a mountain and seeing 150 miles the bad 1. price of fuel 2. bad neighbors parked next to you 3. flat tires 4. a head wind 5. being old 6. parks with no internet 7. repairs 8. seeing how badly parts of this great nation are doing 9. litter on the roads 10. not seeing our 30 year old babies
We only worry about things we can do something about. That pretty much blows away the "bad".
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
No yard work!
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
This has been asked before in a different way. Someone asked the ten best and worst things about full timing. I went back and cut and pasted my response to that post.

1. seeing new places and things
2. lack of a schedule
3. the enjoyment of searching out new places
4. the people you meet on the road
5. the ability to pursue my photography hobby
6. spending time with my wife (seriously)
7. the envious looks when we tell people of our life style
8. the choices we can make
9. the little things, like small town museums and old buildings
10. the big things, like looking down from a mountain and seeing 150 miles

the bad
1. price of fuel
2. bad neighbors parked next to you
3. flat tires
4. a head wind
5. being old
6. parks with no internet
7. repairs
8. seeing how badly parts of this great nation are doing
9. litter on the roads
10. not seeing our 30 year old babies
This pretty well covers it. Our number one is not having to get up to an alarm clock in the morning. Waking up and getting up naturally.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best thing is if you do not like the neighbors or scenery, you hook up and leave.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the thing we are going to miss most is the freedom to go where and when we want and have no agenda.

We have xeriscaped (desert landscaped) the place in CO we bought last summer except for a little grass in the front yard. I had to get a lawnmower for that - his name is Salvador and he charges $10 per week. So yard work isn't an issue (I HATE yard work).

We weren't really quite ready to leave our eleven year long full timing lifestyle but times change, health can be an issue and you have to do what you have to do. We did have eleven wonderful years.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #11

The best thing is not going to that stressful job every day. We had a beautiful house, perfectly decorated and working many hours at our jobs AND at home to keep it up. It was the first new house we ever had and I don't miss it one bit. When we drove away from it on March 9, 2006 all I felt was relief. We don't have complete freedom, our income doesn't match our wants so we park host 6 months of the year to make ends meet. It's ok, we've met people from all over the world and have interesting experiences. We've also been able to spend quality time with family members spread across the country instead of that quick 4 day weekend a couple of times a year. I can't go to Costco and spend $300 like I used to or pay $175 for those really nice purses. Do I miss it, heck no! Just don't tell anyone else, we don't want them all out here "on the road".
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #12

We simply like everything about fultiming, except not being able to sell our house yet.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Where ever we go, we're still at home.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #14

we love seeing new places, enjoying new experiences, freedom, making new friends on the road and just living life simpler