Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
For us the decision was based on setup of a 5er vs MH plus we already had a toad in waiting. Picked the MH and never looked again in the rear view mirror.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #30

There isn't a simple answer for this. It depends on what you do, lifestyle, etc. in our case a MH will be better suited. If we buy a 5er, than ill need to buy a suitable truck to pull it. That truck will than be our transportation. My wife has no desire to have to drive a 1 ton truck around.
There are pros & cons to both , you just need to think about differant scenarios that you'll might be in & think about what might be better.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm going with a 25 foot class C based on the sprinter van Cassias by Mercedes bends as I way to tow a jeep wrangler.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #32

One less "m" would help, too!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #33

My husband and I are seriously considering going full time. He's done a lot of research, he can back a trailer since we have a boat on trailer. Sooooo all that said, we're thinking of 5ver with toy hauler to carry our motorcycle, bikes, kayaks, etc. truck will serve for rainy days. Motorcycle for all others. Any suggestions or thoughts we haven't thought of?
Princesspbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesspbs View Post
My husband and I are seriously considering going full time. He's done a lot of research, he can back a trailer since we have a boat on trailer. Sooooo all that said, we're thinking of 5ver with toy hauler to carry our motorcycle, bikes, kayaks, etc. truck will serve for rainy days. Motorcycle for all others. Any suggestions or thoughts we haven't thought of?
Sounds like a plan
After you have the type of rig nailed down (MH vs 5er) take your time researching manufacturers and floor plans - and look DEEP. There are many rigs out there with a lot of eye candy, but what is beneath the surface is junk. And the floor plan you think you will like might not suit you once you pretend to live in it.

When we were doing our research, I "listened in" on several forums. That was extremely helpful.

Good luck, have fun, and blessings

Jim
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post

Sounds like a plan
After you have the type of rig nailed down (MH vs 5er) take your time researching manufacturers and floor plans - and look DEEP. There are many rigs out there with a lot of eye candy, but what is beneath the surface is junk. And the floor plan you think you will like might not suit you once you pretend to live in it.

When we were doing our research, I "listened in" on several forums. That was extremely helpful.

Good luck, have fun, and blessings

Jim
Thanks, Jim. My husband and I are research junkies so we definitely will research, read reviews and, as you said, " listen in" to the forums of the people who are living the dream and know a heck of a lot more than we do.
PBS
Princesspbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #36

I think it all comes down to what you want to drive around in when you are not moving the RV. In my short experience, I have seen way more fifth wheels being towed around by the newest, biggest, baddest, 4 door, 4WD, extended bed, diesel-powered duallys with chip sets and Banks kits and running lights and chrome goodies than any amount of old motorhomes towing a new Smart car. These bellowing trucks are running up and down the streets of the RV parks day and night. "Honey...we simply need to buy this new $75,000 truck to tow our old trailer!
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If I was going to be a long term camper (snowbird) I'd go with a 5th wheel. If I was going to spend more time traveling around the US I'd go with a Type A MH like we did.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
We live fulltime in a class A Winnebago, but did not not like the cost and maintenance of 2 mechanics, we now have a 5th wheel, more room , it almost feels like getting in a condo , only one mechanics, repair and maintenance can be done anywhere for half the price of the motorhome ...... personally I would never return to a motorhome, my opinion.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
We live fulltime in a class A Winnebago, but did not not like the cost and maintenance of 2 mechanics, we now have a 5th wheel, more room , it almost feels like getting in a condo , only one mechanics, repair and maintenance can be done anywhere for half the price of the motorhome ...... personally I would never return to a motorhome, my opinion.
Thanks to all the different postings on many different sites, I have researched all the pros and cons RV vs MH I am by myself, so MH would be the obvious choice but having to tow another thing behind me didn't appeal , the MH would be a more expensive rig to upkeep according to my research and I am on a very tight budget,

Not all TVs have to be big n ugly (I live in truck owners paradise ) Most of these are needed for work but not all are noisy and 'bad' they go more for efficiency so that is not a big deal for me. I would rather have to fix or replace my TV than have the same issues with a MH out there in 'who knows whereville. '
I have put my deposit on an older 5er and truck ... can I back up?? who knows for sure, but there are lots of large parking lots where I can practice,

I will have to figure it out, I will have no choice, but if others can do it why would I think I would be less capable??
I am also not afraid to ask for help, I am sure there would be a couple of folks willing to lend a hand backing in until I got the hang of it

this is JMO and I do wish you well in your decision and travels ...
Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having read many variations of this question on many forums, the answer remains the same. Figure out what works for YOU. The answers from others are what works for them and that might help somewhat in the weeding out of what won't fit you. But the choice remains to be made by and for you. The hunt is as much fun as the purchase. Don't rush it. Embrace and enjoy it. Good luck.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post

Thanks to all the different postings on many different sites, I have researched all the pros and cons RV vs MH I am by myself, so MH would be the obvious choice but having to tow another thing behind me didn't appeal , the MH would be a more expensive rig to upkeep according to my research and I am on a very tight budget,

Not all TVs have to be big n ugly (I live in truck owners paradise ) Most of these are needed for work but not all are noisy and 'bad' they go more for efficiency so that is not a big deal for me. I would rather have to fix or replace my TV than have the same issues with a MH out there in 'who knows whereville. '
I have put my deposit on an older 5er and truck ... can I back up?? who knows for sure, but there are lots of large parking lots where I can practice,

I will have to figure it out, I will have no choice, but if others can do it why would I think I would be less capable??
I am also not afraid to ask for help, I am sure there would be a couple of folks willing to lend a hand backing in until I got the hang of it

this is JMO and I do wish you well in your decision and travels ...
Good decision on that I am sure, now go out and enjoy. :-)
Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You left out Travel Trailer (Bumper pull type, even if you can't pull it with a true bumper hitch).

I have heard argument in favor of those.. I choose a Class A but I move every 2 weeks usually, 1 or 8 on occasion but hardly ever sit still for more than months.

And that is the key.. Motor vehicles NEED TO BE OPERATED, same with Generators an any other motorized device.. Trailers .. Well worst that happens if they sit in one place too long is tire rot (Assuming they are in use) But the engine never seizes up cause.. There isn't any.