Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is it with Mobile Repair!

More of a rant than question. We have been full time for about a year and a half. In that time we have needed some on site service, and also spent one week in a shop. So far I say we've had a 50% success rate with Mobile Repair services. They either can't tell time or can't figure out how to communicate if there is a delay or other scheduling problem.

I try to do as much maintenance and repair as I can, but sometimes there are jobs I'm not equipped to handle. Unfortunately with the experiences we've had with Mobile Repair services I will probably opt to schedule time in a repair shop that I trust rather than deal with such lousy mobile service.

Maybe some of you have had a higher success rate than me. If so, how do you judge and select?
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

Yeah a lot of these mobile service characters are service tech wannabes. As far as communicating is concerned, I owned my own business for 31 years and I have found this to be a problem with the general public at large. They don't answer their phone and they don't read the information that was sent to them in emails. Quite disturbing actually in an age that communicating has never been easier. Basic, interactive human skills are hard to find these days..

As I read good reports here and elsewhere about techs and service companies that do a good job, I collect these for future reference. One example is after deep online searching and reading I found an outstanding company to make and replace all of our outside fabrics. The mobile tech they used for the install were also outstanding. These two guys were well versed in what to do and knew all the—tricks of the trade—. They made a great Team. Another example is, I used the link below to find a real good alignment shop when we we're in Florida this past summer. They were outstanding.

RV Service Reviews
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Yeah a lot of these mobile service characters are service tech wannabes. As far as communicating is concerned, I owned my own business for 31 years and I have found this to be a problem with the general public at large. They don't answer their phone and they don't read the information that was sent to them in emails. Quite disturbing actually in an age that communicating has never been easier. Simple, basic human skills today are hard to find.

As I read good reports here and elsewhere about techs and service companies that do a good job, I collect these for future reference. I also used the link below to find a real good alignment shop when we we're in Florida this past summer. They were outstanding.

RV Service Reviews
So true.

My first filter is calling a shop and seeing how they communicate...if it is like trying to push a wet noodle, I move on to check the next option.

I don't have time to waste helping someone do what I want to pay them to do for me.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I must be the exception. I have used a mobile service once. He was on time, fixed the problem, helped me with a small project we were doing, cost was what he quoted. Good experience for me
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've had very good luck with mobile service. When I'm on the road I will usually ask the RV park I'm staying at about good service techs in the area. Most of the time they've given me good referrals.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I've had very good luck with mobile service. When I'm on the road I will usually ask the RV park I'm staying at about good service techs in the area. Most of the time they've given me good referrals.
Took the words out of my mouth.

I've had two service calls, both times the RV parks recommended the guys and it worked out well.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
+1
Only one experience but it was great.
Called park ahead for recommendation and then scheduled the repair for couple of days after arrival. Discussed parts and they said no problem actually recommended I order the parts.
Good communication w repair office and arrived exactly as promissed.... it was scheduled as 1st stop for the day so was easy to predict.
Happy camper
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 AM   #8

In my experience 50% is a decent average score. For any technical service, whether mobile or fixed.

Mine just spent three weeks with the dealer, where they repaired about 2/3 of the issues correctly, dropped the ball on a couple, and damaged one part that was fine before.

I use email and texting to stay on top of the comms so I have proof of what I asked for and what they promised (in addition to the initial written repair order).
Old 01-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #9

Used three in three years all very good at what they do. Once at rv dealer and I new more than the tec doing the work. For my money I will avoid doing any work at dealers. Techs are new and learning the trade on my nickel. Before using mobil guy always talk to park and other full timers and local RVers to find the best in area.

Good luck in the future.

Enjoy your travels.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Overall, we've had decent experiences. Several times we were limited to the provider chosen by a the company (warranty). One of those was not good so we cancelled that one, reported them to the warranty people, and asked for another.

As others said, I ask the park for suggestions. But I also rely on Google & Yelp reviews.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My experience with mobile repair has been fairly good. Only a few times where schedules were not met.

However, it is like any other service industry. If you cancel, someone else will take your place. The RV industry is on a good upswing.

Something else that is going on at dealers, lets say you buy your home from dealer "A" or a private party. You are traveling and want to use a dealer in another area. My newer experiences is, "We only work on units that were purchased from us."

That was a recent experience by us when we were going to be in an area for two weeks and a component dealer was 8 miles away. They would not fix our issue because we did not purchase from them.

I don't wish for 2008 again but it was much easier to find service back then.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Yeah a lot of these mobile service characters are service tech wannabes. As far as communicating is concerned, I owned my own business for 31 years and I have found this to be a problem with the general public at large. They don't answer their phone and they don't read the information that was sent to them in emails. Quite disturbing actually in an age that communicating has never been easier. Basic, interactive human skills are hard to find these days..My biggest complaint, in todays world how hard is it to call or text that you are either going to be late or there is some other problem!

As I read good reports here and elsewhere about techs and service companies that do a good job, I collect these for future reference. One example is after deep online searching and reading I found an outstanding company to make and replace all of our outside fabrics. The mobile tech they used for the install were also outstanding. These two guys were well versed in what to do and knew all the—tricks of the trade—. They made a great Team. Another example is, I used the link below to find a real good alignment shop when we we're in Florida this past summer. They were outstanding.

RV Service Reviews
While I do use RV Service Reviews, I have found it to be either out of date or lacking some mobile repairs services.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
So true.

My first filter is calling a shop and seeing how they communicate...if it is like trying to push a wet noodle, I move on to check the next option.

I don't have time to waste helping someone do what I want to pay them to do for me.
I had a problem with one of my slide outs and called a mobile repair guy (recommended by RV Park and authorized to work there), he was a very knowledgable older man. I had to perform the actual labor under his direction. I learned a lot from him (he actually wanted to hire me), but I still payed the full rate!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf6ybl View Post
More of a rant than question. We have been full time for about a year and a half. In that time we have needed some on site service, and also spent one week in a shop. So far I say we've had a 50% success rate with Mobile Repair services. They either can't tell time or can't figure out how to communicate if there is a delay or other scheduling problem.

I try to do as much maintenance and repair as I can, but sometimes there are jobs I'm not equipped to handle. Unfortunately with the experiences we've had with Mobile Repair services I will probably opt to schedule time in a repair shop that I trust rather than deal with such lousy mobile service.

Maybe some of you have had a higher success rate than me. If so, how do you judge and select?

Not full time - but have used a mobile service in both Maryland and Colorado with Excellent results. On time - Good Service - Saved me Time and Money.

Actually some of the Best service ever

Now if you want to talk about a Service Center - Unreliable - Poor service - Leave the coach worse than when it came in - both with the repairs and the general condition........on and on.

So if you are wanting My opinion find a Good Mobile Repair Guy.

JMHO,

My recommendation is to talk with fellow campers and find the right guy for you. Worked for Me
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair