Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #15

Not FT yet, but will spend 10 months thus year in the RV. We have a home base in the mountains in Pa. for the summer.

When I think of how we will explore the country it goes something like this. Again, we are in no hurry.

1st Spring/Summer/Fall (2014) spend it in central Arizona, and Utah. Spend next winter in S. Arizona.

2nd Spring/Summer/Fall (2015) spend it in N. California, Washington, and Idaho. Spend winter in S. Texas.

3rd Spring/Summer/Fall (2016) spend it in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, S. Dakota. Spend winter is Florida.

Then decide what we want to do next. It would be easy to spend summers in Pa. and winters in Florida. That is only 1,000 miles.

Once you start to travel in Spring, Summer, Fall not sure how often you will be back to SD.

I have been to SD. The western part of the state is beautiful. But you can not spend winter there. SD is however in the middle of the country which is a bonus. My home base in Pa. (The place where I grew up) is way to far east...ugh.

Where will you spend next winter? Then what area of the country will you explore year #1? #2? etc.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Sept 2014 we move out FT

This Sept we will have the 5r here and take about a month before we depart for Texas. Plan to spend at least 1 yr there. We will keep our SD spot and probably more our tags and license there also.

Our winter plans will be AZ, TX or FL and perhaps just move it around from time to time.

We both enjoy taking cruises and diving so FL works well. TX has limited opportunity there.

We also talk about taking some short term jobs just to keep active. Pick up a little change here and there. I have a CDL and drive Motor Coaches so might look at a gig say at Disney or in AZ doing Vegas runs.

We have a good friend who is director of Security at a Resort and he has asked us to work for him. Who knows. The opportunities to travel, We also have friends to winter in Surprise AZ and they take UTV/ATV into the mountains and explore.

There are countless things on our bucket list and the RV lifestyle gives you the freedom to move and do it.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #17

A South Dakota native that like to dive??? I guess it could be worse, you coukd be a Kansas native that likes to dive....just kidding.

There are cruises that run out of Fort Lauderdale and Tampa. Yes, it is much nicer to drive to the departure port. Both run ships down to the Carribean.

The CDL is great to have if you want to work a few months per year. Tour Bus drivers are in demand. Plus I think you can make good $$$ doing it.

There are some full-timers that work camp. But at the Park I am at the people live in the park full-time and do not travel.
They get the largest and best sites.

If you like the water Florida has some great kayaking. I have seen hundreds of manatees, a few dolphins, lots of water birds. The water in the ocean/gulf and rivers are chilly. The spring fed rivers are chilly year round at 72°. The ocean water even in the keys is chilly at 68° to 70°. Snakes and Alligators are not very active in N. Florida until May...then it is a lot different being around the water. Time to head north...

Good luck and enjoy!!!
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We installed a 50 amp service behind our daughters house and usually spend Nov/Dec there. Florida in the winter after Christmas and we work for KOA in the summer months. But if needed at any time, we can go to our daughters. We have our mail delivered there(what little there is) and put her on our checking account incase somethng locally needs taking care of. Works real well for us.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #19

We are new to the forum but not to full timing. We have been full timing for the last 4 years. We stay in Texas in the winter and go to Colorado for the summer. If anyone would like to know of a wonderful place to go to in the summer, if your into work camping, just pm me and I will tell you all about it.
Melandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #20

Each to their own choices, but going to one or two permanently rented places for extended periods would not add to our adventures. We left the repetitive stuff behind.

We stay at new places for 1 or 2 months each during the winter, and then hop-scotch as the weather takes us during the milder months to wherever we want. No boundaries, few repeats, more adventure!

Everyone sails by a different wind. Our home rolls!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #21

We are fulltime RVers and still working fulltime.

We homebase in the city were our company headquarters is and our Daughter and SIL live there too, so it works for us.
We currently use our Daughter and SILs mailing address as our home address.

Sometime we pass through and spend a few days, a few weeks or maybe a month or two, usually on the road traveling from location to location staying a week or two then move on.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Just curious how my FT actually have at least one location they call home? As in a Home Base they base at for at least a few months out of the year. We are setting out to FT in Sept 2014. Have had a permanent spot that we rent year around is only $725 a year and includes all hook ups in SD. So even if we went and only spent 2-3 months a year there it is a great value. That is what at least for now we are planning on doing because if we do not keep our spot, it might be difficult to find another one or set up like ours. Just wondering how many FT do that? Whether or not it is a southern winter permanent spot or one you would spend summers at. Or do most of you FT just travel all the time with no real home base. I also suspect but could be wrong, that if we were in a MH we probably would be on the road more and not sit in one spot quite as long. I also think that easing into the FT gig, we need to not be on the road quite so much as it will help ease our costs and better evaluate our budget needs. Just a thought.
may I please ask how do you get a deal like that? $725 a year with full hookups? In South Dakota? Are there more?
LUV2SCRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2SCRUB View Post
may I please ask how do you get a deal like that? $725 a year with full hookups? In South Dakota? Are there more?
I have responded to many of these requests already. If you do not see it let me know and I can post again.

Our home base campground is apx 12 mi west of Platte SD. There are at least 5 other ones south of us. We are all near Lake Francis Case.

I do not have the contact information at this moment, I posted it previously. When spots are open in one of the campgrounds often you can find them listed on Craigslist.

Ours is about 4 miles from the lake. Some of the other ones are less than a mile from water.

Platte is relatively a small town. If you write to O/E Campground Attn Darrin or Stacey
Platte SD 57369

It will get to them. If they are full you might ask for contact information of other CG's in the area. If you do not see the info on my previous info I listed let me know. Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Here is a copy of previous posting.

O/E Campground
35833 277th Street
Platte, SD 57369

From Platte, it's 12 miles W on Hi 44. Hi 50 N 2mi then 3/4 mi west
It's out in the country!! Deer, Coyotes, Turkey's, Pheasants and some of the best Walleye fishing you will find. Our CG is near Snake Creek State Park. Also a very nice State Park!! & Marina

There are 4 or 5 more private CG south of there following Hi 1804 South. Some of them with 20 or 30 sites and some with couple hundred. One has a marina, bait shop and cafe. I think their prices might be close to the same. Just depending on how crowded of a CG you want or how close to the hills and water you want to be. They are located near Pease Creek State Recreation Area (State Park).

Also some of those CG's going south have paved roads all the way to the CG. Our's you have to drive on gravel 3/4 of a mile.

We love it there. Absolutely beautiful country living and fantastic people!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #25

Howdy!

After several years of fulltiming we purchased a homebase. Our property is located at the Escapees in Livingston, Texas. It is a low maintenance property which we can leave for months/years at a time without worry. It only has some storage buildings and FHU's. Being from Texas we winter here and take care of doctor appointments. Its nice to have a place you can download and prepare for the next adventure.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #26

Thank you!!!!!!!!
I obviously missed all the info...my eye just lit up when I saw that initial post
Awesome situation!!!
Thank again
LUV2SCRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #27

Hey everyone,
If anyone is interested, we go to Colorado to the YMCA of the Rockies for the summer. There is 2 Y's but Snow Mountain Ranch is the place to go if you are RVers. They will give you FHU and 3 meals a day for as long as you want to volunteer 28 hours a week. You also get a lot more things, like free golf to choose from 4 different courses. Free fun at Winter Park which is just down the road from the Y. And a lot of different restaurants with a % off. It is a wonderful place with the nicest people and they all really appreciate your volunteering. The work is easy and they are are soooo good to the seniors. I work in the gift shop and hubby works in Buildng and grounds which it maintenance. There is a lot of different places to work. Check out the website www.ymcarockies.org then go to Snow Mountain Ranch. Trust me when I say, you can't go to a better place for the summer. The weather is beautiful and cool and there is so much to do. We work 3 days and play 4 days, but you can pretty much say when you want to work. Can't say enough good things about this place. The food is good and it's a big buffet with salad bar and fruit and dessert and that's 3 meals a day everyday, even if your working or not. Sooooo come on out and join us....
Melandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
O/E Campground
35833 277th Street
Platte, SD 57369

From Platte, it's 12 miles W on Hi 44. Hi 50 N 2mi then 3/4 mi west
It's out in the country!! Deer, Coyotes, Turkey's, Pheasants and some of the best Walleye fishing you will find. Our CG is near Snake Creek State Park. Also a very nice State Park!! & Marina

There are 4 or 5 more private CG south of there following Hi 1804 South. Some of them with 20 or 30 sites and some with couple hundred. One has a marina, bait shop and cafe. I think their prices might be close to the same. Just depending on how crowded of a CG you want or how close to the hills and water you want to be. They are located near Pease Creek State Recreation Area (State Park).

Also some of those CG's going south have paved roads all the way to the CG. Our's you have to drive on gravel 3/4 of a mile.

We love it there. Absolutely beautiful country living and fantastic people!
CORRECTION: The CG's directly South of us the State Park is Platte Creek. Pease Creek is further south of that yet. So if you are wanting to check out our place it is near Snake Creek and the ones south of there are near Platte Creek. Sorry for the error