Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

What to keep tool-wise

We're planning to start full-timing in the next couple of years and have set up a plan for gradually getting rid of our stuff. We intend to get a Class A diesel (Tiffin or Newmar is the current thought) at about 35ish feet. I'm pretty handy and could comfortably do many kinds of mods or not-too-sophisticated repairs. Aside from the obvious like screwdrivers, sockets, flashlights, etc., what are the "must-haves" in your tool supplies? I guess this could include cleaning supplies, too, (here I'm thinking of telescoping poles for window cleaning, etc.).
OnWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

I'm about 6 months ahead of you - my advice would be 1-rechargeable variable speed drill (skip the battery-powered screwdrivers), 2-air compressor (look at VIAIR Corporation - 12-Volt & 24-Volt Air Compressors and Pneumatic Systems and decide if those are worth their cost, or is $40 at Harbor Freight is good enough), & 3-Dremel kit.
MWKingSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
One other thing you might consider is a 6 or 8 foot step ladder.
I will probably never full time, but have found the ladder really handy.
Have fun.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

I would go over your camper, and list all of the different types of fasteners it has. Then make sure you have the tools to fit. Also make sure you a a good socket that will fit your lug nuts, and breaker bar. 12 volt mini air compressor. Make sure it puts out enough PSI to fill your tires to max. Jeez, I don't know. I carry a lot of tools, and electrical supplies. Tape, anti seize, wd40,slide lube, disstilled water for battery if needed, volt/ohm meter, battery tender, grease, and grease gun, and list list goes on.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #5

Take what you can't buy when you need it...leave the rest.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #6

We're into our fifth year as fulltime. I sold a LOT of tools. I kept a 1/4. 3/8. And 1/2 socket sets. Yeah I know they weigh a few pounds but if you know how and what you're doing it has allowed me to save money. I kept a good battery drill,110 drill, jigsaw, 4 1/2 sidegrinder and a dremel. These along with spare parts (ac capacitors,ac water pump,awning motor, fuel filters and so on). Oh yeah, soldering gun,shrink wrap,terminals,wire. Spare cord that connects coach to car, spare blue ox pins and other stuff. I am a very handy to travel with! I beleive in taking what others don't!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
There are two things that will become apparent as time goes by. The thing you need
you do not have and all the things you have been packing around for years you have
never used. But the group I camp with always say to check with me I might have what ever they need.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
In addition to much of the above, a good multi-meter.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #9

We're not full time yet but we did sell our 2400 sqft house and move into an apartment as an intermediate step. I got rid of lot's of tools. I've got two hand tool kits (one for home and one that stays in the Jeep that is more basic. For power tools, I've got a good cordless drill, cordless impact wrench, skill saw, circular saw and angle grinder. A few of those might stay behind when we move into the MH.

It really depends on what you're comfortable doing. If you're not comfortable doing a lot of mechanical work, don't bother bringing the tools. Bring some basic sockets, screw drivers, etc.

The multi-meter is a good idea as is the air compressor...just make sure it can handle the high pressure of RV tires.

Last, I have to disagree about the little cordless screwdriver. Toss one in a drawer for quick little jobs. And they are small enough to get into many places a drill can't. And if you get an assortment of attachments, you can handle a lot of jobs.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:57 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think I probably have too many tools, I even have 5 torque wrenches I carry. ¾" impact sockets, set of large open end wrenches as well as most of my roll around tool chest and a couple sets of Harbor Freight toolsets, one is over 300 pieces. Pickle fork, hundreds of wire splices, 4 or 5 spools of wire, crimper, probably 5 VOM's etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #11

Mr. D,,, yeah I would agree, you may have too much, but when you're a tool addict.

Takes one to know one,LOL
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Mr. D,,, yeah I would agree, you may have too much, but when you're a tool addict.

Takes one to know one,LOL
Selling my tools, even the ones I hardly used, took some real will power. Now I have to tackle the firearms
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We're into our fifth year as fulltime. I sold a LOT of tools. I kept a 1/4. 3/8. And 1/2 socket sets. Yeah I know they weigh a few pounds but if you know how and what you're doing it has allowed me to save money. I kept a good battery drill,110 drill, jigsaw, 4 1/2 sidegrinder and a dremel. These along with spare parts (ac capacitors,ac water pump,awning motor, fuel filters and so on). Oh yeah, soldering gun,shrink wrap,terminals,wire. Spare cord that connects coach to car, spare blue ox pins and other stuff. I am a very handy to travel with! I beleive in taking what others don't!
I agree with you except for the 1/2 in drive set. What I did in this case was look at what job would require 1/2 inch drive sockets. I now carry only three. My 3/8 drive set goes to 15/16. So I was able to illuminated a lot of weight.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #14

The 1/2 in drive extra long flex ratchet is a must to change my serpentine belt on my Cat. Also is needed to manually operate a slideout if a motor fails, on my coach.