Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

What's a fulltimer do with their hand guns while visiting Canada

Hello All.

As fulltimers we will be going into Canada for about six week going in through Washington State and returning to the US in Montana.

I have 2 hand guns on board,.. legally of course, and I know I can't take them into Canada.

I'm looking for ideas about what others have done in this situation.

Is there secure place in Washington state where I can leave the weapons and have them shipped to Montana when I return?

Maybe I can ship them to some place or service in Montana and pick them up when I return to the US??

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Make it a Great Day!!!
BigKahunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

Handguns can be Declared and brought into Canada but there is paperwork to fill out and mostly likely the CMP will want to inspect the weapons to make sure all number match, also you have to have a valid reason to bring them into the country.

Is there no relative they can be shipped too for holding?

Might call a local gun shop and see if they can hold them and then transfer to another gun shop when you return?
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #3

Almost impossible to bring a handgun into Canada. I leave mine in a pawnshop in Bellingham. Last year he did tell me he could ship it to another gun shop or pawn shop in a border state or Alaska for a small fee.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do NOT show up at the border with your handguns. You have already broken Canadian law by doing so. An FFL can ship handguns to another FFL. They may have to run a background check at the receiving dealer before you can get them back. All of which costs money and time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

Pawn shop or gun dealer is your best bet. Also be sure to leave all ammo south of the border. When crossing dont even mention that you own or have had guns on board. Or be prepared to be strip searched
Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 AM   #6

I contacted a Cabelas in Washington state about this but they could not help.
Perhaps I'll try a smaller gun shop.
BigKahunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahunna View Post
I contacted a Cabelas in Washington state about this but they could not help.
Perhaps I'll try a smaller gun shop.
https://www.bellinghampawnshop.com/
Old 03-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Pawn shop or gun dealer is your best bet. Also be sure to leave all ammo south of the border. When crossing dont even mention that you own or have had guns on board. Or be prepared to be strip searched
Apparently the Canadian customs also have access to records of your CPL license like they do with drivers license info. You don't have to say a thing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #9

And DON'T take a Guns and Ammo magazine with you!.....It'll also wind their watch....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #10

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
And DON'T take a Guns and Ammo magazine with you!.....It'll also wind their watch....

That my choice of reading material would be a problem would have never entered my mind … but I see your point.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #11

When we were there a few years ago you could fill out paperwork a few months in advance to take a shotgun, but handguns, and also pepper spray, weren't allowed. We left our firearms at home and had a wonderful and uneventful trip.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #12

We did not have any firearms or ammunition with us when we went into Canada at Sumas, just east of Vancouver. I don't know what set them off when we drove up to the crossing but we were asked if we had ever had firearms or ammunition in the MH. I answered truthfully and was told to park under a carport.
We went inside, after being searched, and sat down. 4 border agents searched my MH for over 30 minutes. They even took a dog inside. Needless to say, thy didn't find anything and let us enter. I thought it was interesting that before allowing us to go, they mentioned that I was a retired federal law enforcement officer. So much for professional courtesy.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #13

Bus station lockers
gary3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #14

Should I scrape my NRA sticker off my back window? Several years back we drove to Toronto for a convention. At the border after a few questions about firearms , food,where I was headed and how much cash I was carrying I was asked to pull over to another building for a search. Maybe my Texas plates triggered it. after they had gone through my dirty underwear and everything else , the young lady found 5 or 10 rounds of 38 ammo in the bottom of the very deep console on my truck. They were in a zip lock bag and I think they may have been in there from a past range trip. She held them up ,looked at them, put them back and went about her business . Sorry for the inconvenience , have a great trip . Guess I lucked out again.

Tags
ada, canada, fulltime