Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M
We plan to go full-time in about 3 years.
When is the best time to make the major investment of buying the rig?

• A few years before... (Now)
• Sometime shorter interval of time before retirement.
• At the time. Just as you quit work and sell the house.

My head is spinning. I don't even know all the factors to consider.

Currently we have a 27' gas class A, that fulfills all our weekend and vacation needs, and fit's in our driveway.

Purchasing a larger unit now may cause some storage issues. Remote storage or landscaping and fence modification which would not add to the house value.
You are in great shape. You have 3 years and the first two need to be spent gaining knowledge. You need to give some consideration to how you see yourself living. Will you travel frequently in the summer and winter someplace warm? Will you primarily go from one commercial campground to another? Will you ever dry camp/ boondock? Will you purchase a lot in an RV Resort? Do you hope to stay in one coach for many years or will you trade often? Once you have developed an idea about how you see yourself living and traveling then apply that to the following:

1. Since you have a class a do you intend to stick with a motorhome?
2. Gas or Diesel?
3. New or used?
4. Length & number of slides?
5. 4 seasons coach? Give some thought to the level of insulation/ double panel windows/ heating and cooling.
6. Brands to consider?
7. Price range?
8. Be prepared to test drive as many coaches as you possibly can.

This really appears, at first glance, to be a simple list but in reality each question involves a lot of talk and many more question. While you are involved in this process you should go to rallies, shows, dealerships and walk through as many coaches as you possibly can. Take notes and pictures. Sit in them and visualize living and traveling in that particular one.

If you do your research then when you are a year out you should have a really well thought out idea of what you want. If you are going used then develop a short list of acceptable possibilities and when you find the right situation you will be able to pull the trigger with a high degree of confidence.

My wife and I went through this process and have now been full timing for 6 years. The above process worked perfectly for us.

Good luck and safe travels.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #16

Thanks Steve! That is a great answer with a lot excellent advice to consider!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have racked my brain with this same question. Plan to start full timing in 2 years. I want to buy in the next six months. That will give me 8-10 months to work the bugs out before selling our house. Once house sells, we will live in Moho until we hit the road. Time does go by fast. Good luck on your adventure.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #18

I would wait - there are new and sometimes better features that come along. Like in 2007 all MH's had tube TV's by 2009 they all had LCD thinner more modern TV's. Start now becoming familiar with the brands and follow any improvements. Ford gas chassis used to have a 75 gallon fuel tank. In 2011 they went to 80 gallon fuel tank. Also give 5th wheels a look. You can buy a new diesel truck and a new up- scale 5th wheel for about 20k cheaper than a Winnebago gas MH. Up-Scale to me are the Dynamax Trilogy, and DRV Tradition.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase