Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

When to make the big purchase?

We plan to go full-time in about 3 years.
When is the best time to make the major investment of buying the rig?

• A few years before... (Now)
• Sometime shorter interval of time before retirement.
• At the time. Just as you quit work and sell the house.

My head is spinning. I don't even know all the factors to consider.

Currently we have a 27' gas class A, that fulfills all our weekend and vacation needs, and fit's in our driveway.

Purchasing a larger unit now may cause some storage issues. Remote storage or landscaping and fence modification which would not add to the house value.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #2

For what it is worth, I would wait unit about 6mo. prior to when you are ready to go FT. In the interim, you will have lot's of time to do the research necessary to insure you make the right purchase for your needs....you will also get a much newer unit ( new or used). You already have a "weekend" unit that meets your current needs, so why have a more expensive/complicated vehicle sitting around for the next couple of years?

Good luck.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
we are going to go full time in the next 2 years and decided to buy the MH now, my thoughts are:
get a few seasons to know the MH
make the mod's that we want while I still have a bunch of tools
make sure it is livable for us - we will do several long trips
and the right one for us came along- right floor plan and priced right also.

JMHO
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

I'd wait until you are twelve months out. It would allow you time to get it setup, work the bugs out and still have a home to assist with financing of needed.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
I'd wait until you are twelve months out. It would allow you time to get it setup, work the bugs out and still have a home to assist with financing of needed.
That's what we wanted to do, but it turns out with taking longer to sell our place cause of getting a bunch of hail damage a year earlier. That by the time we sold and could have ordered it would have been to late in the fall anyways, so we'll get ours on April 15 and start fulltiming May 1st.

I agree with the 6-12 months ahead of time.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
X2...then use the first 6-9 months to study the floor plans, the quality and quality control of the manufacturers, etc

Downside side interest rate are at all time lows...but you're likely going to want larger and more amenities if your going full time and you've already had a taste with your 26 footer ... and that means expensive today, but more expensive tomorrow.

Upside, you can study what's out there now and take your time to ID a low miles, gently used coach significantly less than new...may be the best approach.

Good luck
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
paz

We bought our MH 1 year ahead so we could get the hang of it (we went from a 26' TT to a 37' MH) and so we could do some customization.

Since you are already used to driving a MH and presumably have a toad already set up, IMO 6 to 9 months ahead would be a good idea. I think you need to use the coach close to home several times to allow you to get the kinks worked out, so I would not wait until right before. Most new RVs have some issues that need to be corrected.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

Paz is right on. We bought our Fred in August, went FT in April. All the bugs are defeated. Made transition to what we aint got we dont need.
Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Put your house up for sale now. If it sells, great, move into an apartment (downsize in two steps) and use the time to look for a rig. If it takes longer, it is still ok as you have time on your side. If you buy now, you're rig will be 3 years older before you even get on the road. You didn't say if you were buying new or used, but don't buy too soon unless you are planning on living in the rig.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

i say just get it...of course finiances make a differnce...but if you can like me just get it and maybe you will FT earlier..jeff
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

It doesn't really matter except I'd say . . . If you can afford it know, do it now, if for no other reason not to ask strangers something that is a purely personal matter.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
It doesn't really matter except I'd say . . . If you can afford it know, do it now, if for no other reason not to ask strangers something that is a purely personal matter.

Ed
Hi Ed,
I see your point, it's my personal decision. I'm not trying to offload that. However it seems reasonable to gather a few opinions from the experiences of others regarding the big purchase. Besides, opinions are cheap. Motorcoaches are really, really, expensive.

Anyway, if people didn't throw the personal matters out to the forum, what ever would we all talk about?

James
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
Hi Ed,
I see your point, it's my personal decision. I'm not trying to offload that. However it seems reasonable to gather a few opinions from the experiences of others regarding the big purchase. Besides, opinions are cheap. Motorcoaches are really, really, expensive.

Anyway, if people didn't throw the personal matters out to the forum, what ever would we all talk about?

James

Ahhhh, I see where you are coming from. I am not the "campfire" type person. I could care less what others think is best for me.

I also live by the George Washington rule of "Speak not except to improve yourself, or others, avoid trifling conversation."

But, I hereby grant others the right to banter!

All IMHO.

Ed
While speech may enrich the understanding,
Silence is the school of Genius.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #14

Best I tell ya what we did.

3 years before retiring, started our search for the right rig. Purchased it 6 months before. Did 2 shake-down cruises then.

House for sale 6 months after retired; had time to work on the house. Sold in 3 months. Found a picker that bought all our stuff; we got PAID for all the stuff that owed us nuthin!

Then we hit the road. (AHHHHH)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase