Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #1

Where is RVing truly legal?

So i am trying to find areas where full time RVing is legal. Looking into states or towns but i am having a tough time finding any info.

Like if i have the property owners permission to park. Or just parking on the side of the road for a few days.

Found this, but doesn't help much. https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php

Maybe i am searching the wrong terms?
RIPPER238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
you are asking about boondocking in the wild?
https://www.google.com/search?q=free....0.psqA2OQNzvU

or nearly free camping?
https://www.google.com/search?q=free...utf-8&oe=utf-8?

or in parking lots, like Cabelas, etc...

Most free stuff is out west, too congested for the most part elsewhere, but there is a group called Harvest Host that let's you stay on private property, but there is a cost...

Am into Jeeps and there is a Youtube guy called IAMJAKE that just wanders off and stays in his jeep in all sorts of places...
Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
you are asking about boondocking in the wild?
https://www.google.com/search?q=free....0.psqA2OQNzvU

or nearly free camping?
https://www.google.com/search?q=free...utf-8&oe=utf-8?

or in parking lots, like Cabelas, etc...

Most free stuff is out west, too congested for the most part elsewhere, but there is a group called Harvest Host that let's you stay on private property, but there is a cost...

Am into Jeeps and there is a Youtube guy called IAMJAKE that just wanders off and stays in his jeep in all sorts of places...
I guess all of the above. But more specifically if i have permission to park i want to be sure i am aware of the actual laws. I guess like parking at lots like Walmart Cabelas long term.

Lets say i have permission from a commercial property owner (or residential) to park in his lot for months. The cops may press me and i want to be sure its legal, dont want to get anyone in trouble including my self.

BTW I'm impressed with some of these people allowing short term Boondocking for free.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #4

[QUOTE Lets say i have permission from a commercial property owner (or residential) to park in his lot for months. The cops may press me and i want to be sure its legal, dont want to get anyone in trouble including my self. [/QUOTE]

Even with 'permission', often there are city or county ordinances that would prohibit that.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post

Even with 'permission', often there are city or county ordinances that would prohibit that.
Yes, exactly. That's what i am looking for. Ill look state and town by town, just not finding much.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPER238 View Post
So i am trying to find areas where full time RVing is legal. Looking into states or towns but i am having a tough time finding any info.

Like if i have the property owners permission to park. Or just parking on the side of the road for a few days.

Found this, but doesn't help much. https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php

Maybe i am searching the wrong terms?

You’re kidding, right?

If you went to the expense of building a property or buying property, you would just allow anyone to park as long as they want on your business property or on the street in front of their homes. And advertise it on the internet?

If you want free in communities, plan on moving every day unless you can work out a deal as a property watcher. Otherwise, there is always BLM and NFS land where you can stay up to 14 days, normally, before you have to move.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, exactly. That's what i am looking for. Ill look state and town by town, just not finding much.
Most people do not look favorably upon freeloaders. That's what you want - correct. You want to be able to stay somewhere without paying - because if you were willing to pay there are lots and lots of properly zoned businesses that are geared just towards that, providing a place for RVers to stay.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
[QUOTE Lets say i have permission from a commercial property owner (or residential) to park in his lot for months. The cops may press me and i want to be sure its legal, dont want to get anyone in trouble including my self.

Quote:
Bingo.

When i was 16 my fathers prtinting shop was not doing all that well and we ended up living in the back of the print shop.
Police officer who saw me go in the back door of the bussiness at midnight was nice enough (he did not shoot either me or my father, but he damn sure thought about it) but made it clear we needed to find a new place to live that was zoned for just that, living, not in a location zoned for bussinesses.

Dad owned the shop but that did not make living in it ok with the county.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Most people do not look favorably upon freeloaders. That's what you want - correct. You want to be able to stay somewhere without paying - because if you were willing to pay there are lots and lots of properly zoned businesses that are geared just towards that, providing a place for RVers to stay.
Not really. But that i guess too. Just because i pay for something it doesn't make it legal, zoned or not. Free is fine, pay is fine, just to not overly pay for a living parking space.

What businesses are geared just towards that? RV parks? Boondocking?

From my limited understanding to stay at an RV park its like $25+ a day, that's ~$800 a month.

Again, my concern is the law. If a good friend of mine allows me to park at his place for a few months and i pay him x a month yet its illegal to park and live in an RV there i am not only getting my self in trouble but my friend as well. That's not fair, and i am obligated to do my own do diligence. Which is why i asked. I guess i can just call the local PD and they will know.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #10

Imagine what parking lots would look like if everybody just picked a spot and moved in.

The lot would fill up and the store wouldn't have space for customers.

This was happening in anchorages around marinas in the south. It got to a point where there was no room for traveling boats to visit and homeowners view was blighted.

Florida addressed the issue by installing mooring fields and charging a fee. This way everyone was paying for the city services that were being used. They also inforced the registration and safety laws, already on the books.

The affected folks complained, but unless you never get off the boat, you are using something that tax payers are supporting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #11

Simple answer is that there is no one place to go to find "the law". The document posted is pretty clear for the locations listed. We are a nation of laws. You would need to go to the actual law and read it. It would depend on who has jurisdiction for that parcel of land (Federal, State, County, local - City, Township, Borough, etc). As others have pointed out it is local zoning that dictates what you can and cannot do on property even if you own it.
I don't get the whole "stealth" van life. There they know they are breaking the law but still want to do it. Not sure if that is where you are headed with what you want to do.
Living in a commercial parking lot makes the rest of us enjoying the RV lifestyle look bad. Staying one night at a Walmart is sometimes acceptable and tolerated. Setting up house and growing roots in a commercial lot is not and IMO for good reason.
There are plenty of legal places to do what you want so please stick to the legal places. But even the legal places have limitations and must be adhered to.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Simple answer is that there is no one place to go to find "the law". The document posted is pretty clear for the locations listed. We are a nation of laws. You would need to go to the actual law and read it. It would depend on who has jurisdiction for that parcel of land (Federal, State, County, local - City, Township, Borough, etc). As others have pointed out it is local zoning that dictates what you can and cannot do on property even if you own it.
I don't get the whole "stealth" van life. There they know they are breaking the law but still want to do it. Not sure if that is where you are headed with what you want to do.
Living in a commercial parking lot makes the rest of us enjoying the RV lifestyle look bad. Staying one night at a Walmart is sometimes acceptable and tolerated. Setting up house and growing roots in a commercial lot is not and IMO for good reason.
There are plenty of legal places to do what you want so please stick to the legal places. But even the legal places have limitations and must be adhered to.
Thank you. That's what its looking like ill have to confirm case by case with Federal, State, County, local - City, Township, Borough, etc.

Yeah, i don't quite get the whole "stealth" van life ether, not what i am looking to do. The RV i hope to have is ~24'l 8'w, noting stealth about that. lol

I have come to have great respect for the RV people i have interacted with so far. Which is why i am putting forth effort to understand the dynamics of all this.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #13

Quote:
From my limited understanding to stay at an RV park its like $25+ a day, that's ~$800 a month.
In many rural areas you can get monthly rates at RV parks of much less than $800 although you will probably have to pay your own electric bill.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #14

Many jurisdictions are starting to crack down on squatters and wild campers, mainly because of the rising popularity of the tiny home movement. Our county, which covers over 7,200 sq miles with a population of just 11,000 introduced a bylaw that prohibits any of what you're planning to do, including on private property, down to the last detail to curve this trend.
I suggest you look for approved campgrounds or BLM lands designated for what you're planning to do.

Tags
rving