RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Where to Purchase Excel 5th Wheel

I need to make several important decisions soon. I currently live and work in NC. In April 2015, the wife and I will hit the road and be full timers. Between now and then, we will purchase a Ram truck and an Excel RV. I have children in Texas and will be traveling through there at least once per year, so I am also planning to arrange for Doctors in Texas. So it appears to makes sense to become residents of Texas and to purchase my truck and RV from Texas dealers. However, it appears that becoming residents of South Dakota might be better because the sales tax, medical insurance and vehicle insurance is cheaper and I only need to return to that state once every 5 years. Can I have Texas dealers "deliver" the Truck and RV out of state allowing me to pay the 3% SD sales tax versus the 6% Texas sales tax. Thanks in advance for your input.

wch1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

I am not an expert, but I believe that you may purchase a vehicle in any of the 50 states and have it licensed, taxed and insured in your "Home" state. Any dealer will be able to assist you with that. The only hitch is when you purchase from a non dealer, you will have no license plate until you arrive at your "home" state. I pulled a trailer from Utah to Florida several years ago without a tag. Had a bill of sale in case I got stopped. Was lucky and was never looked at.(apparently)

lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

Yes. I live in Florida and purchased my Landmark from a dealer in Knoxville, TN. They gave me a temp tag and the paperwork. I drove it to FL and paid the FL sales tax when I registered the RV and got my tags.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #4

we just purchased and took delivery of a 2014 excel at bennetts rv in granbury texas. we are full time and residents of south dakota. we paid the 3% excise tax to south dakota and did not pay any texas sales tax. we purchased our previous fifth wheel in indiana and again only paid the 3% excise tax to south dakota. our mail service even takes care of registering the new unit so you don't have to go to south dakota. the salesman, gary whitworth, we dealt with at bennetts full timed for quite a few years so he knows full timers wants and needs. he knows the excel product and don't be afraid to ask about changes. excel is very receptive to changes so just ask. we felt like we got a good deal from them. they also handle mobile suite which is a very good full time unit.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #5

You might want to check out the medical insurance before making a decision of domicile. If you're a traveling full-timer you'll want a PPO plan where you can go anywhere in the country. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #6

when we made south Dakota our state of residence, our medical actually improved. because there were not enough preferred providers in the area, our in network and out of network deductible rolled into the lower one of the two. so yes, check out your plan.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #7

purchase the 5th wheel in the state that the DW decides is the one she wants no matter which state its in then register it where you need to.

flcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, excel, purchase