Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
CHeck out the Fleetwood 31M Tioga Class C. It is 31 ft, but has a very different and homey feel to the interior. It is my choice and I'm a senior about to become a full timer. For me, it is the only one the "fits". I have been looking for a good 6 months and I keep coming back to this one. Keep looking, researching and when the right one says "this is home"......decision made. Good luck!
KatyScarlett,

Sorry for the delayed response; I haven't been online. Thank you for the info. It's good to know you're out there too. I had promised I would stay under 30', but I do want to be comfy, and it's hard to do in smaller rigs. Many thanks, and safe and enjoyable travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #44

A Toad too

Phoenixx, I have noticed you have not mentioned anything about a toad. Most class C's will tow a small car or pickup and it will give you the ability to have mobile storage as well as a vehicle to run errands or sightsee. This might make it possible for you to get by with a smaller, less expensive main vehicle. I plan to tow a minivan, using a dolly in order to have plenty of room for a lot of groceries, toys, etc. If I could get one with a standard trans. I'd be in heaven. Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #45

To Bob,

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the shout-out. Actually, I kindda like a smaller toad. I have thought about it.

Great thinking about a Minnie van to provide loads of storage space that a C does not contain.

Health issues have taken my focus away from researching my future RV.

Off point, though, I decided definitely to buy used. Thousands in savings. I'll be back in the research saddle when I am myself again.

Thank you much for the message.

And hey, don't use your van to put too much stuff. It still adds to the weight and effects gas millage, right?

Phoenixx.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #46

Toad weight

As far as fuel mileage is concerned, the weight of your toad will affect a diesel nearly as much as a gasser. but if you want to stay as short as possible, your choices in the diesel units is limited. It would be quite difficult to find a diesel shorter than 32 feet, I suspect. And I don't like the diesels that are put in the lighter MH's. They aren't built to last, IMHO. You have to immerse yourself in the search. Once you own one you can be doing things on the spur of the moment, not before (unless you've got money to burn.) Also, think about where you want to go, and what the amenities are. If you intend to be outside all the time, you only really need the basics. If you want to entertain, a little more luxury may be in order. If the campgrounds you want to visit have all the necessities, you could get by with less of them yourself. There are lots of questions to ask, mostly of yourself, before you can make an informed decision. Reread Watertown's post on page 1 again. It's really germane. Hope you're feeling better. Good luck. Bob T
Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #47

Bob,

I hope you get this message. I can't seem to make a post after yours, from a week ago. I appreciate your comments.

Diesel = $$, not for me. Gas and used will be my choice. I am thinking about how feasible is this entire venture. I am not a rich woman, nor very young. And, camp grounds seem very expensive.

Not far from me, I've seen a Jayco, Hawk(?) parked in a grocery store lot for two months. I would never do that. Sorry, off topic.

Thanks again for your reply. Hope you get this.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #48

Pay now, pay later

Diesels are better for extended usage. The longer and farther you use them, the less expensive they become, but you are right about the upfront cost. As for campgrounds being expensive, again it depends on your length of stay. If you keep moving all the time, it gets outrageously expensive, but if you spend a few months at a place at a time the cost can be acceptable (in the 3 to 4 hundred per month dollar range.) The jayco hawk you mentioned is probably for sale or the owner knows the store owner and has permission to park it there. I've seen a lot of RV's parked for long periods of time in unlikely places. Have you investigated parks in areas you would like to spend some time? I want to spend a week at the Prude Ranch in Texas and some time in the winter in AZ at the Butterfield RV Resort looking through their Telescope. Just a little while longer. Bob T
Old 07-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #49

trial and error

just a thought. Find someone (at your church, senior center, etc.) that has or knows someone who has a motorhome somewhat like you are looking for. See if they'll allow you to go with for a few days. Watch how they use it, and decide if you could use it in the same way. There is a lot to learn about the operation of them, no matter what size or type they are. Go to your local library and look for books on the operation of the various systems on board. RVing for dummies is a good startBe sure you can make the all function. Draining the black water tank can be unpleasant if you are squeamish. Experience that costs very little can be invaluable. Good Luck, Bob T
Old 07-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #50

Thank you, Bob

I looked up Butterfield. Wow! That observatory speaks to my heart. It's the first I've seen in camps. And you're right, $360.00 per month is comfortable. That sky is enticing. I've never been to Arizona (Or many other places for that matter).

The Jayco person I mentioned probably does have permission. They're under a tree with windows open all the time.

Now about the research. I learn best by watching. No possible watching subjects other than YouTube. I'm not squeamish at all about things like the black tank. But I definitely need a mechanism that allows the gray to empty second for a cleaner dump. I read that somewhere.

I will get RV's for dummies. There's a RV show in September. I'm waiting.

But, Bob, tell me this. Do you feel that most C's (even A's or B's for that matter) are equally well constructed? Isn't there a standard that must be met? I'm strongly leaning toward a Ford chasse, but you've got me thinking about diesels.

Thank you Bob,

P
Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #51

Phoenixx. Don't forget, you can always rent an RV for a weekend, or whatever. Go somewhere for a weekend and mix and mingle with other RVers. Also, Escapees is having their RV bootcamp in Texas in November. Lots of folks go and don't have an RV yet, but learn a LOT. Just some more options to chew on.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #52

Thanks, katyscarlett

Good info on the boot camp, katyscarlett, and it's right on the way to the RGV. For me at least. Phoenixx, look at the Good Sam Club website at the community tab and look for a club near you. The one near me has monthly get-togethers and you can stop in and ask questions till your tongue falls off. RVers love to show off their knowledge, and you might be able to find just the unit you are looking for. If you do, and it's not for sale, you'll at least know just what you want. katyscarlett's idea of renting one for a weekend is an excellent one, but if you can get to look at a lot of them (the chapter member's) for free why not I always say. Bob T
Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #53

OOPS

Forgot to answer the question. A true senior moment. Believe it or not, I delivered some rear axles to the plant that makes the Ford RV Chassis today. The people don't impress me, but if you are buying used, the problems are probably worked out and repaired by the previous owner(s). I have heard about problems with their front ends, but I have no firm knowledge. The earlier versions, those with the 460 ci engines liked gas a whole lot. The triton 415 is supposed to be much easier on gas. I don't know when they came out. Sorry. By the way, Phoenixx, there is a park in Al. that has a narrow gauge railroad transplanted from Scotland or Ireland. There's something for everybody somewhere. Bob T

Tags
class c, fulltime