Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Which Home (Road) School?

Hi All,
we are planning on going full time next year with our (will be) 12 year old son.
Our domicile will most probably be Florida.
Can you please let us know which home/road/virtual schools you recommend and why? Experiences, pros and cons?
Thanks in advance!
JnR
JacknRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to KDbug
It's been a few years since I home schooled my four kids (oldest 1girl then 3boys) I start after my youngest son finished kindergarten and my daughter whom has ADHD and they wanted her to repeat 5th grade. we used Weaver (it's a unit based study but has it all laid out) with Saxon Math; then I went to A Becka but stayed with Saxon for the math only; I liked their math better than A Becka's. I got alot of my books through the newspaper, there are also web sites just type in home school and some of them have lesson plans... A Beck has a web site A Beka Book :: Excellence in Education from a Christian Perspective and here is their academy A Beka Academy :: Excellence in Education from a Christian Perspective

Please remember this is what I used and my youngest graduated High school (HOME SCHOOL) early he was only sixteen (he is now 22) and we went all year round and I used field trips that went with the unit of study Like when using weaver we study slavery it was in our bible study and about slavery here before the civil war and we went to Memphis to see an underground railroad house.
during the summer while at the lake I included things about nature we went to tour a working Dam and went to a fish hatchery, state parks here in AR have all kinds of things going like we were studying about the stars and planets and one of the state parks has a program were they bring some people in and set up telescopes so people can look through them. There are a hole array of resources you can use look at book stores and christian book stores, use state parks, even the internet.

I enjoyed my time home schooling and I learned right along with the kids but HOME SCHOOLING is NOT I repeat NOT for everyone but there are many options out there if you only look. Sorry had to say it but it's true. Now that's off my chest if you have any questions or need a sounding board just holler. The most import part is to enjoy and it is work but well (imho) worth it but you need to do what works for y'all.
I'll get of my soap box now
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #3

We home-schooled our son for three years while full timing. We used Calvert for grade school and Keystone for high school. It is a full time job in itself if done right and takes a lot of dedication. We saw some on the road that were not so dedicated and I always wonder how that worked out. I had an early retirement and healthcare so financially we did OK. We saw many living hand to mouth and that was sad.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Although it's only been four weeks, we are very happy with Connections Academy. You didn't state whether or not you would always have an Internet connection. You would need one for this school. I think they are at least worth a look.

Dave
renman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Hi.Thanks for the recommendation. I will have too see if Calvert serves the county in Florida which we are going to register in. I can't see Clay County on the list. Or do they serve the whole of Florida?
Cheers and good luck!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by renman View Post
Although it's only been four weeks, we are very happy with Connections Academy. You didn't state whether or not you would always have an Internet connection. You would need one for this school. I think they are at least worth a look.

Dave
Hi. I see Connections takes me straight to FLVS. Have been in touch with FLVS and it looks favorable.
Cheers! I hope things work out well for you!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

I should say we homeschooled starting in 1999 so our advice is somewhat dated. We had a computer but no internet service. We did not even have a cell phone then. It might be a little easier today.