RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #1

Which map?

Hi Everyone,
As we are prepping for our new full time lifestyle our next question to come up is what is the most informative map out there other than the vehiclenavigation and internet. Were looking for something that would give us highway listings, parks, campgrounds etc. As usual we appreciate all your responses.
Thank you
Grant & Bella Mauthe
2015 29RKS Elite
2016 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Molly(the dog)

Grants Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #2

If traveling the western states definitely use the Benchmark series of individual states. Big print with all the public attractions and campgrounds listed. We had the whole set because that's were we traveled most and we loved to get off pavement to explore.

Good Sam/Trailer Life used to put out a good atlas listing campgrounds. I don't know if they still do.

The state maps you find at Visitor Centers are good for interstate travel but not enough close up good detail for the smaller highways which we drove.

Another resource to get is the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. It comes in Western and Eastern editions. We used it all the time as a 'heads up' when driving in the mountains.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

If you are a member of FMCA you can buy their map of the USA. It lists most major highways and interstates, showed locations of campgrounds, fuel (Loves, Pilot, TA), and WalMarts.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Between Allstays app and Google Maps on my smartphone, I've always found what I was looking for while living in my RV.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

AllStays is probably the gold standard. They've got everything, from camgrounds to propane to boondocking to friendly lot-docking locations and it's all searchable and sortable.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #6

We are not full timers, and only travel perhaps 75 days per year in the coach. having said that.

My gold standard when planning a trip is to over fly the intended route with google maps zoomed way in on my computer, close enough to have business name information pop up. I can usually skim over the about 20 miles of route per minute using this method, maybe a little more time if looking for campgrounds, or other points of interest along the route, or if looking at details of towns and cities along the route.

Using this method I can plan out our travel days with planned breaks along the way, I like to try to stop and stretch a bit every hundred miles or so, and try limit my daily driving distance to 300-350 miles. We will also tend to try to do our grocery shopping on travel days, this lets us stop and stretch for 30-45 minutes mid day and break up the travel a bit while accomplishing something. Using google maps and google street view, I can read reviews on the potential grocery store stop, scout out the parking lot, and entrances, etc.

Much the same applies to roadside attractions along the way on travel days, I can scout out a place to stop for lunch, perhaps a scenic overlook, or even see if there is RV parking at some point of interest that we would be passing by, world's largest ball of twine, or such, that in itself may not justify an overnight stop. Places like the Car Collection Museum on I-80 in Kearney, NE, or the Caverns of Sonora, off I-10 outside Sonora, TX.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:07 AM   #7

RV Parky is my go-to app. I can plan my route using its trip planner. It shows all of the campgrounds, truck stops, Walmart along the way. I usually don't want to go over 300 miles in a day and can find plenty of places along the route. I also use the satellite view of the area I'm interested in, just to make sure my 45 footer will fit. Very easy app to use...and it's free.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #8

If you're going to rely on Google Maps, be sure to download the map you're relying on BEFORE you head to the area. Not everywhere has good mobile connections, and if you don't download the map when you can you can suddenly find yourself without a map.

I combine Google Maps with my Garmin for routing to help avoid weight restrictions and/or height restrictions, but neither on its own is fail proof. I've had the Garmin route me on some wonky roads, and I've had times on Google Maps where I've been unable to determine a safe route.

For backup data, I've found two other references. There is the 2020 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas, which I see is 50% off on Amazon right now. It mainly covers the Interstates and major highways, but it's a great reference for height/weight restrictions, and the pages themselves are laminated and durable. The other reference is something called Next Exit, which lists the services available on most exits of the Interstate system. Obviously only helpful on the Interstates, but most of us will use Interstates from time to time.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #9

Maps? You're full time so does it really matter? We use the state maps available at visitor centers and rely on recommendations from fellow campers as to where we are headed next. Yes, we occasionally get in trouble by not finding a place to park for the night. But we've always managed and have seen some of the nicest sights when we were just wandering. We are very comfortable boondocking. If we are in a popular area and have a clue as to where we will end up that night, we use an RV camping site to find parks to call for the night. We have found county fairgrounds to be a good place to check for overnighting.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #10

Trip Wizard.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/