Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #1

Which would make the best fulltime unit?

We went to an RV show today to do some more research for fulltiming. We had some questions answered by salesmen but want to cross-reference with owners. We have narrowed down to 3 fifth wheels we like. The alpine 3500, jayco pinnacle REQS, and the montana big sky 3800RE. Any information would be appreciated. We want the full body paint also, which they all have available. Thanks!
campingisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
paz

The first thing I would do is check the manufacturers warranty to see if it will be voided if the unit is used for full-timing. Some manufacturers do this. I may be wrong, but I think Keystone (manufacturer of the Montana) is one of these.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz
The first thing I would do is check the manufacturers warranty to see if it will be voided if the unit is used for full-timing. Some manufacturers do this. I may be wrong, but I think Keystone (manufacturer of the Montana) is one of these.
You are correct Keystone will not warranty a unit for full time use. If I'm not mistaken none of the mass produced products are warranted for full time use.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

That is great info. We just sold our house and are full time for the last couple month. We are now in a 09 Montana 3400rl. Though we do want to upgrade. Knowing this kind of information will be extremely helpful down the line.
webgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by webgone View Post
That is great info. We just sold our house and are full time for the last couple month. We are now in a 09 Montana 3400rl. Though we do want to upgrade. Knowing this kind of information will be extremely helpful down the line.
webgone,

It's not a big deal if buying used, but it's something to look for in a new unit.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman7 View Post
...If I'm not mistaken none of the mass produced products are warranted for full time use.
I'm pretty sure Heartland RV advertises their Landmark and Big Horn models as being suitable for full-time use, so I assume their warranty applies to full-timers.

NOTE to campingisfun - The Heartland line of Landmark 5th wheels has full and partial paint available. Big Horn models have a partial paint option.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

Our Keystone Alpine was taken care of on the couple of issues no questions about fulltiming. don't think they could not warranty you
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want a true full-time unit, look at a bit higher end and look at used Mobile or Select Suites (DRV), HitchHiker, Carriage (Cameo), Teton, Nuwa, Excel (but watch for rotted slide floors in several years), etc. They are a better buy than the new ones you listed.

These are true Full-time units, but they are heavy and will require an 1 ton dually or larger, depending on the trailer.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you want a true full-time unit, look at a bit higher end and look at used Mobile or Select Suites (DRV), HitchHiker, Carriage (Cameo), Teton, Nuwa, Excel (but watch for rotted slide floors in several years), etc. They are a better buy than the new ones you listed.

These are true Full-time units, but they are heavy and will require an 1 ton dually or larger, depending on the trailer.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Ken
Great advise, buying a good quality used unit is a mush better way o go.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #10

New or used it's still pretty much the same brand of appliances, water heater and furnace. We looked at a couple of used units and one had been fulltimed in and for the price we went new and the warranty hasn't been an issue
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are plenty on 4 to 5 year old high end units on the market that have been very gently used. You will typically pay around 40% of the price of a new unit on the same manufacturer. So the best advice is to SHOP SHOP SHOP.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
We paid 1/3 the cost of the new unit cost not including all the upgrades the previous owner did. We feel extremely blessed but it did take a lot of searching and patience .
Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #13

Everyone has their own budget and druthers. Found what we druther have after 3 years of lookin before we went FT. No regrets.
We have a 33ft Fred and a Wrangler.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #14

Trailer Life dated November 2012 do a very small review if 12 units they saw are fir full time use. I do not believe it but they list;
Cross Roads Washington (New)
DRV Luxury Suites 38TKSB3
Dutchmen Voltage 3895(Toy Hauler)
Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3
Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS
Keystone Montana 3402RL
KZ StoneRidge 38FL
New Horizons Majestic F42RE4SS
Outdoors RV Black Stone Tuscany 280RLSB
Redwood 36RL
Space Craft 400-045
SunnyBrook Raven 3300CK

There a few on this list that surprise me. Actually I am going to a dealer the sells the SunnyBrook Raven...I will ask them and report back.

Note - the Montana is on the list.

Again - the 'Trailer Life' magazine November 2012 is the source.

I will also see if I can find last years full time list from TL.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote