Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #29

Some people like full time RV. For me, what I have learned is that RVs require more maintenance than a house does. And for too many old age ailments, RV are too difficult for us to manage.

But I can see a small house, with an attached garage, work shop space and at least a covered RV space, with full hookups, if not enclosed.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #30

The decision to go full time can be a difficult one. But I think there are some basics to consider.
RV .... having an RV that you both enjoy, with a floor plan and size that allow for space each of you need. How does it feel when your weathered in for maybe a few days ... without hurting each other And you have confidence in the RV to be able to handle your travel plans.
Purpose ... what is it that you want to accomplish by going FT. Practically everyone we've met FTg had a purpose. For us, we have family in several parts of the country. It gives us the opportunity to stay for longer periods of time at each location ... and still sleep in our own bed each night. For some, its been work .... some its been just to see the country ... others have other reasons. The point tho is without a purpose, you'll be done in a short period of time.
These were the two biggies for us .... and as a side note .... It was my wife's idea !!!!

We're starting our 5th year and we see no end in site ...
Just some thoughts ............. Good luck with your decisions ....... And HAVE FUN!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #31

Here’s a wife who LOVES it! We retired at 54, sold the house and put a few items in storage. We do have an exit plan in case something changes, but at this point I could do this until I am 80! I don’t miss the house or the yard one bit. We have the kids for that who have their own houses and we can visit and enjoy. Yes, it is work, but much less than our house was. We , too, don’t touch Facebook, never will. As for friends and family we come into town and stay at a local place with the rig, and visit all we can. After 6 or so weeks we are ready to move on. The places we been so far cross the country have all been fun to explore. Yes, things happen( truck got rear ended in Arizona and rig got hit in South Dakota by a lawn service guy) but these are just minor annoyances in my book. I absolutely love living small... we are huge outdoor people, even ate dinner outside in the snow with a fire going when we owned our house...plus now we get to change our views whenever we want! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5839.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	254618
Out my door in California....
katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #32

Foretravel Owners Club
Thanksgiving last.. view out our windshield
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181122_133205.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	255171  
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufy1 View Post
My wife is unsure about going fulltime. She says she has read on Facebook a lot of post from women who have gone fulltime and don't like it.
I was hoping to get some feedback from some of the wives.
My wife and I are coming up on 1 year full timing and are very happy with our decision. Take your time before taking the plunge however you do it. One of the things we did that I think helped us process our decision was a week long Rally with RV Dreams , 70 or so couples there at all stages of the decision process, lots of brains to pick over the week. Your wife would have others she could talk to about her concerns. We rented an RV to stay in that week so we had that experience also, just understand that's not the same as having your own RV.
Good luck
Mike
mrome54369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Another Loving Full-timing Wife

We've been fulltime for 7 years. Before we made the decision, we were spending up to 80% of the year on the road, not missing the house or the belongings in it, and not wanting to go back home. We did lots of research online about the lifestyle, and talked with many fulltimers. I also highly recommend an RV-Dreams Educational Rally as they cover all aspects, the good and the bad (we've been to two of those). At least check out their website - RV-Dreams.com - for all the information that is there along with their personal story. We sold our house and bought the RV that was perfect for us. There's no contest between house-cleaning and RV-cleaning with RV jobs so much quicker. Yes, we've had breakdowns and maintenance issues, but we still look forward to each day traveling or sitting still. However, we know that fulltiming is not for everybody, and there is not a right or wrong way to do it....you just make it your lifestyle.
Good luck!
smdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
I am a woman who has been living full time in our DPMH. Not that it matters a whit, the type of RV I'm in. We've been full time for four years, and I have not spent one moment regretting our decision to embrace this life style. But it isn't for everyone! If you've been RVing for years, you have a better idea of it. If you are sitting in a house, reading about it and contemplating it, that's not a good idea!
Get an RV, that you like and are comfortable in, even if you rent one, and go on a LONG trip in it. Don't take it somewhere, park it, and stay there. That's not full timing to me, that is tiny-housing! Travel, see the country, experience people, and each other! Do it for six months, or longer, before you make the decision to sell the house! Nobody can make, nor should influence your life decisions.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #36

Wife not sure

We have been fulltimers for 15 years
Married 53 years and we love it
Meet so many friends and see our kids and grandkids all over
Love it, just have to Be sensible with what u keep
maryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #37

My wife & I love our full time lifestyle She is a Doctor if education and still consults clients. I put a table desk, computer & printer in for her. We have 3 recliners-2are electric. No flip down beds for guests-that doesn’t work. We’ve had a two story on a golf course, a 3,000+ sq ft house with. Extensive views. All professionally furnished by a professional designer. We don’t miss our things one bit! Nothing in storage except paintings. You have to know yourself-don’t take the words if others. It’s a very individual thing. I will say that you need the spirit of adventure and you have to be best friends as you are in a small house.
robertcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #38

There was no way we would ft in the dp. Now back to a 41’ 5er wife said recently she would consider it. I looked at her and she said no, we are in the road 8-9 months a year and she likes the big s&b too. I like to regroup in the s&b at times but like the road too much to quit. We travel for the weather and to explore, we spend more than our ft friends.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #39

Triple E Owners Club
All excellent advice. I will only add that if either of you aren’t on board 100% it will probably not work. We are in the process of selling our home and downsizing and then go on long trips. In the midst of the process I find out she doesn’t want to stay in our current home. Who knew! After 52 years, I thought I knew her! Guess again! My takeaway, regardless of what you end up doing, is that if both of you aren’t on board 100% you are headed for failure and at our age we don’t have much time for failure. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck!
Cara 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #40

wife has concerns

My wife retired last July 2018, since then we have spent approx. 6 months in the RV and 14,000 miles. Longest one trip was to the keys from AZ. 10,000 miles , 3 months. My point is that although we could have kept going that was our trip and enjoying being home but planning and looking forward to the next trip.
My wife, myself love the road, no issues for extended trips, but we also like the return to our other interests, boating and some 4 wheeling.

You and your wife will find your space, hopefully it is the same one.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #41

We thought about it, we can go 6 months and return 6 months, Then in the summer we take RV Vacation North. For 3 weeks. Part timer in both.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #42

Wife unsure

I am the wife half of our family of two. We have been fulltime for 3 years this past July 12th. We sold everything we owned, house, businesses, personal items auctioned. We have no regrets, we hope to not ever need a house again. This life is definitely not for everyone. This is not camping, but living small.
It was an adjustment. My huge walkin closet for one. LOL I have never had so few pieces of clothing, and I barely wear what I did keep. We will celebrate 40 years of marriage in Sept. You must like your husband as well as love him, as you are within a few feet from each other almost all the time. Not hold a grudge, yell and holler if you need to, but just let it go. It is a life change and it has a learning curve. We feel Blessed that we have had this chance of living fulltime. We are all made the same but different. That's what makes life so interesting. Be comfortable with your choices, if not just change it. Good Luck
Sandi
1998 Monaco Windsor
satuthom is offline   Reply With Quote