Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Winter Advice? Lansing MI +/-1mo

Hi all just wondering if anybody has any good advice for surviving winter conditions? I just found out today that my Job has me headed to Lansing MI next week, for possibly about 1 month. Weather for that time seems like a fairly mild winter, but there will be snow.

I'm going to go out and get some space heaters as there are 3 adults and a 2 year old in the 5th wheel. I'm also considering maybe draping some heavy cloth or something as a skirt around the Bottom with a Space heater underneath.

We are still pretty new to this whole thing, as we've only been full-timing for 1 month. Any tips would be great, and I have to say I love all the help I've received just from reading this forum.

Some info: The Fifth wheel is a Chaparral 355rlts so I'm not sure if it's even a 4 seasons model or not...

Also any advice for towing in the snow. (chains or anything that would be considered a wise investment?))

And Lastly anyone that's made the trip [Jacksonville FL > Lansing MI], just wondering if there is an easy way to avoid toll roads or not.

Thanks in advance!

-Kent
kentdalimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
I would take it easy and see how cold it gets. I mean be prepared but dont waste money on something you may not ever use.

You can put reflecx on the windows. Get heated hose for fresh water. Make sure your tanks are heated.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

North on I-75 at Toledo 23 north then west on 96 to Lansing.Nothing to it and no tolls

Oil filled space heaters are nice and quiet but 1 or 2 might be the limit for your unit. That said I drilled a hole in the floor and ran an extension cord to the pedistal in my old unit. Get a plug in volt meter to monitor your volts don't want to over power your system and burn things up because of low voltage

Depends on the weather is your campground a 4 season one? Weather could go either way you won't need chains if you can wait out the weather. The mountains could be rough but easier to wait it out anyway.

Heat tape for water hose and possibly drain.

PM me if you want I'm going into my 4th winter about 50 miles west of Lansing. I have a workers campground so I know a lot of the traveling jobs year round .

mike
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
off topic here but mikell, Do you leave your oil filled heaters on all the time? No fire issues?
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #5

Kent,

I-10 west to I-75 north doesn't have any toll roads. And, as mikell said, when you get to Toledo, go around the south side to US-23. This is a 4 lane divided highway that allows you to eliminate driving through Toledo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdalimp View Post
...And Lastly anyone that's made the trip [Jacksonville FL > Lansing MI], just wondering if there is an easy way to avoid toll roads or not.

Thanks in advance!

-Kent
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #6

Oil filled heater on all the time when it's below freezing. They don't get that HOT and put off heat even when not on for a while. Can stack stuff near them no problem. They are usually 600 -900-1500 watt settings and the 600 works fine for me. Set them too low they will not warm up because the furnace will keep it just warm enough not to stay on long

I don't heat my tanks I just leave the valves open all the time . On this unit a Keystone Alpine the pipes are all inside and haven't frozen in 3 years. My old Terry the pipes were below in the air I just put a heat tape on the bottom of them but didn't insulate
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

Now that I think about it I did spend a winter at a KOA in Lansing while working at a GM plant. I recall a lot on -25 nights not a fond memory it would have been in the early 80's