Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #43

Branson Treehouse Adventures- part time work

This is a great RV Park (they have treehouses and cabins too) and I know they have some free RV spots for part time help. https://bransontreehouseadventures.com/
Jcfrandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #44

camping and working

Sign up for workamper.com costs 40 or 50 dollars but it is well worth it if you are looking to work, camp free (sometimes with pay) and have fun all at the same time. Have many blessing and enjoy you camping, life and stay on the go....
bigalnewpal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjax View Post
The wife and I are close to full time, and have been researching parks that offer part time work for the free hook up and stay!
We'd be curious to know how many of you are actively doing this,,where you are now, best suggestions, tips and warnings!

My wife and I have been full timing for just over two years. There are plenty of sites online that are looking for workers in exchange for a FHU site. Some campgrounds will let you have a site in exchange for hours worked, usually 20-30 hours. Others will pay for extra hours worked over the amount needed for a FHU. We use "WorkatKOA.com". Last summer we were at a KOA in Michigan and this summer we are heading to a KOA in South Dakota. When we return to Florida (our home base) we volunteer at some of the State Parks. The cost of state park stay is usually 20 to 25 hours but no pay. Good Sam is a good organization to join. Lots of discounts. Another site I use is "Workers On Wheels", they usually have jobs listed for RVers. I would suggest searching online and are certain you will find something that will interest you and your wife.
Happy RVing
Tom Downing (papasmurftd@hotmail.com)
papasmurftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #46

Great Info - Thanks

Quote:
On the contrary, MANY sites do offer these deals! While on long term trips these opportunities help out economically along with site camaraderie! And even if it's not about the economics of your trip, it is a perfect opportunity to get involved and staying busy, rather than hibernating in the rig,,,,along with the nice perk! Take the time to check out this web page of the thousands of opportunities!

https://www.happyvagabonds.com/Jobs/Jobs-By-State.htm
Hi and thanks for the great info. I wished I checked that before making all my 2019 camping adventure plans. 😳
jlundyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #47

Quote:
The wife and I are close to full time, and have been researching parks that offer part time work for the free hook up and stay!
We'd be curious to know how many of you are actively doing this,,where you are now, best suggestions, tips and warnings!
We have been full time RVer since 2006 and have always worked for site. When we started we went through Workamper.com listings to find campgrounds we could exchange part time labor for site. About 5 years ago we started contacting campgrounds ourselves. After building references we can arrange more flexible length of stays than we could through Workamper. There is a campground in Florida where we stay just 2 weeks each year and manage it for owners while they go on vacation.

I suggest working with privately owned campgrounds.
Greg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #48

I think you will find people working at parks are full timers. Most parks want a longer commitment of time spent there. Not time worked there. They don't want to train a new person every couple of weeks.
Observing my parents fifteen years of working while RV ing and working I saw them work many different types of parks, motels, construction, shows and aids. I think that is why there are so many full timers. They have so many choices of jobs and where to work. I would say their biggest problems was with employers wanting them to work more hours ( with pay) then they contacted.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #49

Camp Host's

Quote:

Never a dull moment! My wife and I are Camp Hosting A National Park Campground in Utah. Propane, water, Electric and dump are provided. We handle reservations, clean restrooms and general assistance. They also give us a little refund for our meals. Its not a payment, but a refund of sorts. Five months in the mountains, during the warm season is fabulous. Look up Camp Host positions, theres a great amount of opportunity.
Sardiki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #50

Be careful working in CA, because they'll try to make you a resident.
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #51

Remember in a volunteer gig everything is up for negotiating and you have the upper hand in that negotiation. Like any job search, only accept the gig that works for you.
We prefer 1-2 month gigs with interesting assignments and we have 30+ volunteer gigs added to our profile in the last 6 years.
If you are not having fun or are uncomfortable with the volunteer job, don't hesitate to renegotiate the job and/or leave if necessary.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #52

Quote:
https://workamper.com/ Check this out. We have got about 12+ years and the only reason we stopped is AGE.......
Anbocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to RondaTutt
Working part time at RV Park!

Quote:
My husband Phil and I are currently doing this and have been at Pioneer RV Beach Resort, Port Aransas Tx for a year and half. We came immediately after Hurricane Harvey to help rebuild and planned on just staying for the winter season but they liked us so much that they asked us to stay for summer season which we did, however winter is not the time to travel up north so we stayed n only hubby works this winter season. We leave April 1.

It can be fun working if its only 2 or 3 days a week. This park gives you FHU 50amp plus pay for every hour worked. Plus a bonus at end of season. We had to pay monthly electric which was like 11 cents kw. (100 a month electric basically in summer and around 70 in winter).

This park really doesnt advertise for employment, people usually walk in looking for work. We actually called them to see if they had openings. Wed stayed here before so we knew what kind of park it was.

Its 384 sites. All concrete sites, board walk right to beach which you can drive your golf cart over. You can drive your golf cart in town as well. Anyway, the park is fun and very active and is right next to beach.

We are retired but we upgraded our 5th wheel to a diesel pusher and we worked to save for new tires. We will get back to traveling again and if we have to have something major done then we may work again in future.

There are many sites that have advertisements for all states. Even the Army Corp of Engineers hires both paying n volunteers. We volunteered for 3 months at a Army Corp of Engineers Park for 6 months. We didnt get paid but we had a water front view with FHU for free on the lake.

I think its great deal especially if you get your site for free and even better if you get paid on top of that.

Ive attached 2 pictures, one shows our space where we are on Port A and the other shows our spot on Lake Lavon Army Corp of Engineers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD18F85B-27C1-48F2-9613-6C1595F04132.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	236025   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD083175-E4DC-4452-84BD-D5F3BDFCD505.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	236026  

RondaTutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:10 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I got hooked up with a company which manages mostly Forest Service campgrounds under contract from the gov't. They also have some parks back east that they manage in partnership with the TVA.

We spent our first 2 years hosting at a campground outside the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. This past summer we were on Mt Lemmon, north of Tucson. These jobs pay state minimum for about 26 hours a week. You pay a discounted site fee, which includes sewer, water, electric and propane.
This coming year we'll move up into a area manager position, where we'll have 18 campgrounds to supervise.
We generally work from mid-April to Nov1st and that allows us to save more than enough to live the winter without working.

Check out http://camprrm.com You can check out any of their campgrounds you might be interested in and also register for the host job mailing list.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We own our Lot at The Palms, Yuma, Az. They have Work-campers. 30 hrs/week/Lot (some couples job share and do 15 hrs each), full hookups, up to $100/mo towards your electric, 6 month contract. Several different job types. Really nice Park with lots of activities.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #56

Quote:
We have been work camping for 12 years. Most RV parks will supply space with full hookups for 12-20 hours per week per person. Many are looking for 6 months commitment but they are negotiable. The easiest way to apply is either subscribe to workamper.com, contact State or Federal parks directly or if you have a specific RV park you like call them directly. Be upfront on what you will or wont do, skill sets/experience and many will require a written summary.
We have enjoyed the last 12 years and would do it again!
SteveNV is offline   Reply With Quote