Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
jrs

Worthington 1 Gallon Propane Tank

Do any full timers use this tank and is it difficult to get it refilled? Some reviews said it can be difficult finding locations to refill them. Will have an all electric Model A RV and considering getting the small Worthington 1-Gallon Steel Propane Cylinder for my grill. Thanks in advance for your response.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #2

Why not just carry a 20lb/5gal common grill LP tank? It dosen't take up that much more space and most stores/gas stations/propane dealers handle that size. The 1 gal tank is equivalent to 4-1lb small green disposable bottles which are expensive but available at Walmart if space is the biggest concern.
I have a adapter to fill the 1lb disposable bottles from our RV larger bottles. For me grill portability is important and I can average 4 cookouts on one disposable bottle.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #3

got it

I`ve been using one for the grill for about 10 years, just had the bottle recertified for 5 dollars. Not one to carry around extra weight if I don`t need to as with the 20lb units. Just to easy to store/carry. Never, as in not once did I have trouble getting it filled. Works as an emergency bottle for the furnace when you run out in the middle of the night. Ask me how I know.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Why not just carry a 20lb/5gal common grill LP tank? It dosen't take up that much more space and most stores/gas stations/propane dealers handle that size. The 1 gal tank is equivalent to 4-1lb small green disposable bottles which are expensive but available at Walmart if space is the biggest concern.
I have a adapter to fill the 1lb disposable bottles from our RV larger bottles. For me grill portability is important and I can average 4 cookouts on one disposable bottle.
Plan on grilling a lot like I do now and need 2 tanks because they always run out during use. Did consider the larger tanks but don't want to carry 2 X 5gallon tanks. My small grill doesn't use the small 1lb green tanks.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
I`ve been using one for the grill for about 10 years, just had the bottle recertified for 5 dollars. Not one to carry around extra weight if I don`t need to as with the 20lb units. Just to easy to store/carry. Never, as in not once did I have trouble getting it filled. Works as an emergency bottle for the furnace when you run out in the middle of the night. Ask me how I know.
Cool! Thanks for the response!
Old 06-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #6

I just bought one and find it very convenient. Has more pressure for portable nexgrill than the 1lb disposable canisters using an adapter. Way easier to carry around that the 20lb tank, but more expensive to buy upfront. No problem getting them filled.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Weber Q grill and I carry a 20# tank for it. There's never a problem getting it filled. Plus it seems to last forever.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

Or you could just buy a standard 5 lb propane tank.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I have a Weber Q grill and I carry a 20# tank for it. There's never a problem getting it filled. Plus it seems to last forever.

Right and you don't have to wait for the tank to get empty to refill it. Just top it off when it gets low or once a year if that works best. The main benefit is you have plenty of places to get it filled, even exchange places like gas stations and some Dollar Generals. You can get a 20lb bottle cheap on Craigs List ($5) to use as a exchange. These are just suggestions, by all means do what works best for you.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I learned the hard way that it's not wise to buy a brand new propane tank. New tanks have to be purged and it's hard to find a propane refill place that will purge tanks. The major propane dealers will purge them at a cost of $10-$15. I had a tank filled once without purging it and the humidity in the unpurged tank froze in the regulator.

Now I buy new to me propane tanks from propane swap out cages. The last tank I bought looked brand new. It was about $10 cheaper than a new tank and already purged.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've got one. I've only had it filled once. I have it for my Mr Heater portable Buddy Heater. I haven't used up the first tank yet, so I have no info about having trouble finding a place to purge or fill it past the first place that did both those things for me. I don't have anywhere that I want to store a larger propane tank right now, so it's small size made sense to me.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Wondering...How does one legally dispose of the small (1 gal ?) Coleman grill propane tanks. Many dumpsters we see are marked to not drop them in. We see them stashed around camp grounds.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Wondering...How does one legally dispose of the small (1 gal ?) Coleman grill propane tanks. Many dumpsters we see are marked to not drop them in. We see them stashed around camp grounds.

Where I live, the town transfer station (AKA the dump) takes them as scrap metal.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
You can refill them from a 20# tank with this adapter or connect a 20# tank to the grill or heater that uses them.

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Uni...refill+adapter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank