Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

1000W Generator Capability

Hello

I have a Jayco 29MV motorhome and intend to do a lot of "boondocking". I want to buy an Inverter generator to take along that will run the lights, fridge and furnace. The furnace and fridge will run off LP so the only electrical requirements will be for ignition and blower. My question is will the Honda EU1000 be enough for this? I had a Honda EU2000 in the past but the EU1000 weighs and costs less. If I need to run anything else in the motorhome that requires more power, I can always start up the main generator.

Thanks!
tradmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

A 1000 watt generator is good for watching TV, or up to 10 100W lightbulbs. You probably can't brew coffee, power your converter/charger, or even a space heater. A generator that small is really limited as to what you can power with it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

Agree with Bob, not much, but then you may be fine if you have another generator. But personally I'd just use the inverter and fire up the main gen when needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradmer View Post
. My question is will the Honda EU1000 be enough for this? (run the lights, fridge and furnace)
It will be perfect for your needs. Obviously solar and more batteries would work as well..... they would just cost more.

edit; If you couldn't even have the converter on then like others have said I'm wrong and it's too small.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

Watts divided by volts gives you 8.333 amps to play with

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

generator

I have a 40 footer motorhome. I use my Honda 1000 and plug in a battery charger into it and not the motorhome. That way the generator charges the batteries and I use 12 volts in the coach. I also have an 2000 watt inverter that I will turn on if I need 120 volts but the generator only keeps the batteries full. Been doing that for 30+ years.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it will work fine to keep the batteries charged up and a few other low power AC items. The appliances mentioned, fridge and furnace do operate off propane but need 12VDC for control power and the furnace blower is 12VDC also. Same for the water heater. As long as you don't need 120VAC for heating or cooling either air or water the EU1000 will support your intending usage.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
If you want to plug the MH into it and use the converter or inverter/charger to charge the batteries you need to see how many amps you will need to power it. As an example I have a 2000 watt inverter/charger that will charge the batteries at up to 100 amps if they are down a ways, it takes every bit of a Honda 2000 to power that until the batteries come back up some. Bottom line, it depends on your amperage need.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #9

Your 1000 watt will do everything you want. Just plug it in to your shore power, it will run your converter to charge your batteries and still have enough juice to run your furnace and lights, tv, ect. We have done just that with the 1000 watt. I'd spend the couple of hundred extra for 2000 watt, that's what we use now. With the 2000 watt you can run your microwave also if you want to. The only time we run the big generator is if we are using the convection oven or a/c. We run our fridge/furnace/hot water on propane. You can run the Honda for probably 8 hours for what it will cost to run the onboard gen. for 1 hour.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

The eu1000i is a 900 watt unit, so it will produce 7.5 amps at full load.

You want to run 12 volt items, so your only concern is enough power to run your converter for battery charging.

A typical 35 amp converter will draw about 7.5 amps, at full output.

In most cases, starting out with full charged batteries, the eu1000 will keep them charged. If the batteries are low or you have enough stuff on to equal a 35 amp draw, it may overload and shut down.

I run 2 chargers on my eu2000, a 55 and a 20 amp, together. At full output the generator is running at max speed and anything else will overload and fault it out.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradmer View Post
Hello

I have a Jayco 29MV motorhome and intend to do a lot of "boondocking". I want to buy an Inverter generator to take along that will run the lights, fridge and furnace............. If I need to run anything else in the motorhome that requires more power, I can always start up the main generator.

Thanks!
My question..(mebbe I'm dumb or sumpin) You have a 4k gennie, If you were worried about exhaust gasses you can use a "GenTuri" to route the exhaust up and away (also makes it quieter)
So why would you want to deal with the hassles of toting the Honda around & refueling the honda every 3 or 4 hours when you have a generator that is far superior and with an auto-start/auto stop to charge the batteries when needed?
I know that those pulling TT's or 5ers most likely will not have a "built in" gen set ..but you have a generator built into your coach, so why not use it all the time? and not have to deal with the extra weight & have to carry a extra tank of gas?
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You can run a 1000 for 8 hrs on a gallon of gas the 4000 will use 4 gallons. Do that for a month and with the 1000 you just put $225 in your pocket. Now two trips at minimum to the gas station for fuel. In Q every year you see many large MH's with the little honda ALMOST SILENT purring away, some say fugal some say cheap.

LEN
Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

I think Olyen is correct, a 1 kW auxiliary generator uses a lot less fuel than a larger one for just topping off batteries. You note that you do have a larger (probably built in) generator for other purposes such as air conditioning, microwave etc. The Honda 1kW weighs 29 pounds and runs for 3.8 hours. we have one in a box on the back of our 34' fifth wheel. We have only used it every few months to run for half an hour as per the manual. It has been good for peace of mind in case we ever did need it in cases of extended rain/snow/cloud.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
You can run a 1000 for 8 hrs on a gallon of gas the 4000 will use 4 gallons. Do that for a month and with the 1000 you just put $225 in your pocket. Now two trips at minimum to the gas station for fuel. In Q every year you see many large MH's with the little honda ALMOST SILENT purring away, some say fugal some say cheap.

LEN
Another plus for the smaller generator is noise. I have a Yamaha ef2400I and unless I need AC, I prefer the Yamaha, but it is a pain to haul around. Will run for 8 to 10 hours on a tank of gas and is much quieter than the onboard 4000.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator