Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
ant

i am looking into a 12 volt fredge for my camp. the one that i am looking at Draws 2.5 amps at 12 volt DC.
i have 2 trojens 105's for lights .
is 2.5 amps a lot of draw?
ant
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
ant

i am looking into a 12 volt fredge for my camp. the one that i am looking at Draws 2.5 amps at 12 volt DC.
i have 2 trojens 105's for lights .
is 2.5 amps a lot of draw?
ant
Old 08-21-2005, 04:38 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
ant,

2.5 amps isn't much draw. The way to figure out how long it would run is to take the amp/hour rating of your battery bank and divide that number by the amp draw of the total load you put on it (not just the fridge). The result you get is how long it should take to completely discharge your battery bank. Since you really should only discharge it 50%, half of that time is your answer.

L8r,
Steve
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:26 AM   #4

2.5 amps for a frig @ 12 volts DC seems very low, but assuming it is correct, that equates to 60 amp-hours / day. In two days, you would have discharged the T-105's to less than 50% of capacity, not counting any other loads. More info on the frig would be helpful. Do you have a link to an on-line website for the frig?
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
ant

i found this one
what do you think?

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?deptI...f=40,25&skunum=27837
Old 08-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #6

.....$400......... you got to be kidding me!....a 25 cubic foot for a house is the same price....forgetaboutit and shop around...even an Ice chest would be Better...Ice is only a dollar a bag......geofkaye.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
well if $400 chaps your hide ... how about $780 for a propane and/or 12V reefer? (the one on the bottom of the page)
http://www.warehouseappliance.com/pr...rigerators.htm
where i boondock, a bag of ice wouldn't numb a beesting for longer then a minute, but ... $780 does seem pricey.
But still, running off of propane only, does extend your boondocking time from 1-2 days with two T-105 batteries, to unlimited time ...
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #8

Ok, so I am curious now. We are going to look into boondocking. Are you saying it is better to run a frig on propane or 12v. We have a small popup with a 1.9cuft frig. It is a 3 way. We currently have one propane tank. We want to add one more. We also want to add a battery as well. I figure if we don't use the a/c and use lanterns outside and flashlights inside, our battery would only be used for the frig. How long could we stay?

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Running a 3-way refrigerator on 12V will drain the battery(ies) pretty quickly. You'll get the longest time running off propane. I think all of the current refrigerators still ahve to have 12V in order to operate the controls, so you still will need 12V and enough to power the controls and lights.

A small 1000watt generator will do for recharging the batteries ever once in a while.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Propane

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done a number of dry camping weeks. I have 4 Trojan T-105's and 200 watts of Solar. I use Propane for the Frig. When I have the Generator running, I switch to 110 ac. You need some source of power input to keep the batteries charged. If you keep running them below the 50% theshold, you will be replacing them.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #12

OK, go v..e..r..y slowly. I have no idea what any of you are talking about, except for Tom, LOL. Thanks for keeping it simple Tom.

Now, if I am running on a battery, I guess I can't use the 110 outlets in the PU?

I assume a generator runs on gas, is that correct?

Can a solar panel recharge the battery? And if so, what am I looking at.

What is a Trojan T-105?

What is an inverter?

How long can the fridge run on a single propane tank, considering I will still need the propane for some cooking?

So, if I am assuming correctly, to go dry camping for a weekend, I will need, an extra propane tank (full LOL), a battery, a small generator, flashlights, a cooler, a porta potty, and a full water tank. Is this correct?

Old 04-20-2006, 03:45 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
A long time ago when I had a pop-up with the three way fridge, running off battery did nothing other than drain the battery fast. It would not cool on 12v, only maintain the temp. I could dry camp for a weekend with the fridge on propane and using minimal lights with 1 deep cycle marine battery. With my current setup in my fifth wheel, I have 55 and 85 watt solar panels and 2 big deep cycle batteries. Running the fridge on propane, and using 12v as normal, I run out of water and fill my holding tanks before I run the batts below 50% (assuming the sun is out ).
Old 04-20-2006, 05:51 AM   #14

What do I need to do to use a solar panel. Is there something special I need. I looked online at camping world and there is a kit. Is that all I need and then can add panels as needed?

If I don't get solar panels, will my battery recharge from my van engine on the way back home after a weekend outing or is there something else I need to do to recharge it?

I figure the 12v is not that important as we can use flashlights and lanterns. Would like to be able to use the fan on the a/c at least though. I have also seen the bunkend fans. Can we use those or the fan on the a/c with the battery?