Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #29
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back to the original subject, two 6 volt vs. three 12 volt, I bought 3 Energizer Group 29 RV/Marine batteries at Sam's Club yesterday. I will be replacing 3 of the same that are about 3 years old. The batteries are rated at 125 amps, so that is a total of 375 amps. I have 605 watts of solar. We probably use 70 to 100 aH per day. I had planned on moving the chassis battery and installing four GC-2 six volt batteries. I took the easy way out, but may still move the chassis battery and add one more Group 29 from Sam's Club.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 505 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C Handicap Equipped
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #30
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I recently went through the dilemma of choosing wet vs AGM. I was also not able to find any technical information about the warehouse GC-2's. However, I did find the spec sheets on both Trojan T-105's and Lifeline AGM's. All things being equal, the T-105's have a higher charge cycle rating than do the Lifelines. My battery compartment is pretty much open-aired with a louvered compartment door, so ventilation is not an issue. It really boils down to how much you are willing to pay for the convenience of not having to add water or worry about corrosion. I bought 8 T-105's for $1189 and the quote for Lifeline AGM's was $2392. The other way I look at it is, having to check the water once a month will force me to inspect all the cables and connections. If I had AGM's, maybe I would forget about it.
That price comparison was helpful and valid, IF you do not forget the T-105 watering need. If you do and damage the plates, then the price to replace ruined batteries would even the scale. Human nature being what it is, I went with AGM.

36' Itasca Meridian DP, now 2005 Newmar Scottsdale 34' Gas
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #31
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Much of the AGM vs flooded cell discussion here is contrary to what I've researched and read on several solar blogs.

Do some research and find your truth on the subject. Handy Bobs blog is extremely informative and I've found it to be quite accurate, especially his discussions on batteries.

TV: 2012 Ford F350 CC 6.7L 4x4
TT: 2014 Wind River 250RDSW [Dual Crown 6v, Trimetric, Iota 15.4v 55A charger]
dagmandt is offline   Reply With Quote